Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 145 Posts
Yes I installed a Pioneer 2550NEX
Pioneer AVH-2550NEX 7-Inch AV Receiver w/CarPlay and AndroidAuto

Antenna Adapter:
Metra 40-HD11 2009-Up Honda Antenna Adapter Cable
Backup Camera Adapter:
Metra AXHON24RVC6V Electronics Ax-hon24rvc-6v Honda (Without Touchscreen) 2015-up

Steering Wheel Adapter:
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Harness:
Metra 70-1729 Radio Wiring Harness for Honda 2008-Up

Dash Kit:
Metra 95-7811B Matte Black Double DIN Stereo Dash Kit for 2016-up Honda Pilot
(I like the matte)

I bought this dash kit while Crutchfield and Metra reps wee actually telling me it wouldn't work, but it looks so much the same it was worth paying $20 (it was cheap on Amazon) to try it out. It worked perfectly.
Instead of hooking my backup camera up to the reverse, I put a switch on the wire. I kind of prefer that. I can turn it on to look back at my trailer any time.
The backup camera

I don't have any pics but I'll tell you that it is a pretty easy install. One thing I really like is that I didn't have to bolt the dash kit back in, so I can pull it out easily any time I might need to get in there.
Hoping to be able to install my own deck in this Passport was a good bit of the reason I bought the Sport. Not a lot of vehicles left that will take a regular double DIN and still look right.
Please upload pics please...How was it right now?

bought the alpine halo ilx-259, will hopefully install this weekend. fingers crossed.
It looks like that one is a singe DIN. If you have the Sport and used a kit like I used
You will probably need something like this to turn it from Double DIN to Single DIN.

bought the alpine halo ilx-259, will hopefully install this weekend. fingers crossed.
Post some pics when you get it done - love to to see that! I wanted to put one of these in my 2010 Pilot but never did get around to it.

Reactions: vizulefllry
It looks like that one is a singe DIN. If you have the Sport and used a kit like I used
You will probably need something like this to turn it from Double DIN to Single DIN.

View attachment 7215
thanks, i have some ideas to fill that gap. we'll see it how it goes

This was a challenge! Not like it was 10 years ago, which was basically plug and play.

Installed in Sport Trim

I decided on the Alpine ILX-F259 floating display headunit. I'm not going to do a write up, there's plenty several post out the already. However, I want to make some highlights that can make it easier for some people. Despite the vast resources out there, I had quite a few road bumps. Below are just some tips that would have help with installation process. Overall, it took me 12+ hours over 4 days (including my research prior to popping any panels).

- Apparently there isn't enough info on passport or companies have not updated their system, but most parts i bought were "not compatible" in their system (even though they were). You can look-up Ridgeline of same year as your PP and all will work. I was hesitant in installing an aftermarket radio because of this. In fact, I used the RL forums to complete the install.

- Alpine units require parking break wire from HU hooked up. Some units it's optional or just ground it to work properly. Could not find where the parking wire was, so I did the bypass. This held me up for a day. This halted installation, as I could not access my camera setting to test it everything worked. This leads me to second point.

- Buy an extra harness (can be same or random one) to pull out pins with wire for camera views and steering wheel controls. They are not too hard to pull out or re-insert into harness.

- The back-up camera adapter works great, avoids splicing anything. The hard part was wiring up the reverse wire (only wire to hardwire into a harness). It' super tight in there, take your time. I tried the easy splice taps and they didn't work for me. I did it the old fashion way. I also got the 3-views to work following this tutorial. To get the steering wheel controls you'll need the wires from extra harness.

- Axxess steering wheel adapter will work, however could not get all the buttons work (call hang-up and source). You will also need the extra harness pins for this installation to avoid splicing.

- Since my unit was a single din and the mounting kit was made for double din, I bought a piece of plexiglass and cut it to size. Painted it black and hot glued (see photo).

- The usb retention adapter works well.

- Installed the headunit mic to stock mic location near dome lights.

I was overwhelmed with all the wire harnesses and adapters need. I had to go out to best buy and my local audio installer guy for adapters. Glad I did the install, but not sure i'll do it again lol. Feel free to ask me questions to make this easier on anyone else.

Looks cool, do you mind saying what the entire project cost?

(I know there was no labor, but I'm guessing a shop would have added another #1,000!)

Looks cool, do you mind saying what the entire project cost?

(I know there was no labor, but I'm guessing a shop would have added another #1,000!
The alpine unit was a bit price at $600 (crutchfield), harnesses came to around $130-ish (pretty expensive), extras $30 (switch, wiring stuff), all in all about under $800. The harness total took me aback when I initially totaled it out lol.

Looks like any future buyers won’t have to worry about that pathetic 5” screen.

That radio was the reason I didn’t get the Sport. I think the Passports will sell better now.

That radio was the reason I didn’t get the Sport. I think the Passports will sell better now.
im glad, headunits are so much harder to install these days

That radio is exactly why I DID buy the Sport. It is just a radio/media player! I wanted no distractions, no fingerprints, no glossy glare, no touchscreens....nice and simple! Plug in my USB and play my music. Can not describe the relief of just starting my PP and driving it. Now if I could just have gotten heated seats and dimming mirrors.......oh and nixed the auto-shutoff, I would have my perfect Honda!

I've been going through these posts to install a Kenwood in my 2020 passport sport (Non-touchscreen). So far everything has worked fine except for the ASWC1. Everywhere I look the wiring docs say to connect the SWC ground into A11 however on my 2020 that spot on the factory harness is empty. On the diagrams, it shows A11 as yellow but on the harness, yellow is in A3 where the purple use to be. Does anyone have any knowledge of this harness to verify if the yellow is still for the SWC ground? Thanks

I've been going through these posts to install a Kenwood in my 2020 passport sport (Non-touchscreen). So far everything has worked fine except for the ASWC1. Everywhere I look the wiring docs say to connect the SWC ground into A11 however on my 2020 that spot on the factory harness is empty. On the diagrams, it shows A11 as yellow but on the harness, yellow is in A3 where the purple use to be. Does anyone have any knowledge of this harness to verify if the yellow is still for the SWC ground? Thanks

View attachment 9032

View attachment 9035
Also, 23 is empty and 24 is now green it was also purple. Does anyone know which wires now handle all of the SWC? Thanks again.

Sorry man, I had a installation shop do my work, my hats off to you for trying though...!

Also, 23 is empty and 24 is now green it was also purple. Does anyone know which wires now handle all of the SWC? Thanks again.
Please keep us posted on what you find out. I contacted a local shop and they refused to do the install since the wiring harnesses need to be repinned and they said that could void manufacturer warranty if other issues with vehicle develop...I've tried unsuccessfully with a few other shops so am planning on doing myself but this is the issue I am trying to find out too. Good luck

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I contacted a local shop and they refused to do the install since the wiring harnesses need to be repinned and they said that could void manufacturer warranty if other issues with vehicle develop...I've tried unsuccessfully with a few other shops so am planning on doing myself but this is the issue I am trying to find out too. Good luck
In the Axxess instructions for I believe this is the 2020 Pilot, they refer to pin 12 and 24 but do not specify which connector. I thought their instructions were wrong since I was focused on connector A. Looking at the honda wiring diagrams pin 12 and 24 of connector C are for the B-CAN Bus communications signal and it's the same plug that Axxess shows in their diagram. I'm going to research more before I start plugging into those pins. If anyone knows more about the B-CAN bus system please let me know.

Some good news I was able to get it to work it was pin C12 and C24. Once you turn everything on it will do the green/red fast flash just keep tapping the vol up button over and over until it stops flashing. In a few days, I will remove everything so I can soldier my connections and tighten the wiring up. When I do that I will work on a new write-up.

4 wires on the ASWC-1 are used.
Black to black
Red to ACC
C12 to Blue/Pink on aswc1
C24 to Pink on aswc1

Kenwood DNR876S Digital Multimedia Navigation Receiver

Some good news I was able to get it to work it was pin C12 and C24. Once you turn everything on it will do the green/red fast flash just keep tapping the vol up button over and over until it stops flashing. In a few days, I will remove everything so I can soldier my connections and tighten the wiring up. When I do that I will work on a new write-up.

4 wires on the ASWC-1 are used.
Black to black
Red to ACC
C12 to Blue/Pink on aswc1
C24 to Pink on aswc1

Kenwood DNR876S Digital Multimedia Navigation Receiver
View attachment 9079
Appreciate it! Haven't been able to find a shop willing to do the install so looks like I will be on my own.

41 - 60 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.