Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
hi, i was hoping you would respond and i appreciate that you did. i am a full novice regarding this subject. maybe i wasn't clear on what i was asking. i would like to install a new amplifier to drive all new speakers in the car. I've read your thoughts on replacing the subwoofer. i am asking if the amp to the subwoofer would need to be replaced or if i can continue using it in my scenario. thank you for the help.
You can leave the stock amp to drive the stock sub and any other speakers you do not replace.

I was trying to describe that you will tap the new amp into the wiring for the old amp (well, your installer will).

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can add an amp to drive all your (new) speakers and leave the Sub and the Center channel connected to the OEM Amp, however on models other than the Elite & Touring, it may not sound real good as they have something like a 200w system vs the 540w system.

I use the upper amp (listed below) you can read on the site how it can tap into the high level speaker outputs and somehow de-equalize the signal and restore a full frequency range. The lower amp does it too but has much less power than the upper one - BUT still better than the sock Honda amps.

I would NOT remove or mess with the Stock amp/sub-woofer, I left mine be and added another sub...

hope this helps...
You can leave the stock amp to drive the stock sub and any other speakers you do not replace.

I was trying to describe that you will tap the new amp into the wiring for the old amp (well, your installer will).

Thank you for the response!!

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
515 Posts
Hey Storm, if I read this thread correctly you have coax speakers in both front and rear doors. Question, did you leave the stock tweeters in the a pillars hooked up to the system? I'm thinking of getting the Infinity Reference REF-6532 ex from Crutchfield which are also coaxial. Really don't want to get involved with the crossovers, capacitors / blockers and alike. Just want to do a simple speaker upgrade and leave the rest stock (sub and amp). I plan on doing some noise cancellation in the doors later this spring when things warm up some.

I also have hearing loss and tinnitus for 21 years 24/7 and with 3 different tones. o_O That's what I get for 30 plus years of working in machine shops and teaching hunter education! LOL, now I do the CNC programming in an office for those machines in the shop.
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey Storm, if I read this thread correctly you have coax speakers in both front and rear doors. Question, did you leave the stock tweeters in the a pillars hooked up to the system? I'm thinking of getting the Infinity Reference REF-6532 ex from Crutchfield which are also coaxial. Really don't want to get involved with the crossovers, capacitors / blockers and alike. Just want to do a simple speaker upgrade and leave the rest stock (sub and amp). I plan on doing some noise cancellation in the doors later this spring when things warm up some.

I also have hearing loss and tinnitus for 21 years 24/7 and with 3 different tones. o_O That's what I get for 30 plus years of working in machine shops and teaching hunter education! LOL, now I do the CNC programming in an office for those machines in the shop.
Thanks, Chris

Yes, I have Infinity coax in all four door locations, and an added 8" powered Rockford ported sub that taps the factory sub signal, with all non door stock speakers still installed and working. It sounds decent enough to me, not incredible but a good upgrade in clarity to the stock door speakers. The doors were simple upgrades, just need a panel puller, screwdriver, and some plastic adapters for the speakers to screw onto.

Mine is a very tame upgrade compared to the huge systems of my youth with active crossovers, 1/3 octave EQs, component speakers, large subwoofers with custom boxes, dedicated amps per channel, etc.

My own hearing loss and tinnitus appreciates the noise control I did, making the audio clearer at lower volumes and also less fatigue from road noise. The sound deadening using a small amount of butyl dampener for metal panel resonance, mass loaded vinyl for blocking noise in doors and most of the floor, and melamine foam for cavities like the roof and pillars made a large difference in how quiet the cabin is and the system sounds.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just placed my order with Crutchfield for the Infinity 6532-ex for the doors. NIce that they include the adapter rings, wire harness, and vehicle specific instructions. Will definatly be disconnecting the ANC also. And once we get into warmer weather will be looking to do some sound deadening.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Changed out the OEM speakers for the Infinity 6532-ex in all four doors, added sound deadening to the outer door panels and disconnected the ANC. Granted this is a very modest upgrade to the stereo system compared to most. But, I'm really satisfied with the results. Speakers have much more clarification to them compared to the stock ones. Plus I was amazed at how much the ANC down graded the stock system (went for a test ride after disconnecting and still had stock speakers).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Touring MSM
36 Posts
Changed out the OEM speakers for the Infinity 6532-ex in all four doors, added sound deadening to the outer door panels and disconnected the ANC. Granted this is a very modest upgrade to the stereo system compared to most. But, I'm really satisfied with the results. Speakers have much more clarification to them compared to the stock ones. Plus I was amazed at how much the ANC down graded the stock system (went for a test ride after disconnecting and still had stock speakers).
Glad to hear you like the Infinity 6532-ex. I have a pair of them that I'm about to get installed in the rear doors. Had them in a 2016 hrv and enjoyed them. Infinity Kappa 603CF will be going in the front with a small amp, Infinity Kappa 303s (only 1, but they come in a pair) for the center dash and a powered sub in the rear.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
293 Posts
So I just with through the menu setting trick and disabled the anc. The stereo does sound better(factory). I also went on a test drive in sport mode and the fake engine/exhaust noise is gone. Now, before I go to the next step of unplugging the anc does anyone that have done this notice any increase of cabin noise from road or wind?
I'm only wanting to do this is to remove the fake engine/exhaust when I step hard on the accelerator.
Some say you will get an increase of wind and road noise if you disconnect the anc but my road test was very short so not really sure. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Did you have to modify anything for this install or just remove the stock speakers and plug these in using factory connectors?

·
Registered
515 Posts
So I just with through the menu setting trick and disabled the anc. The stereo does sound better(factory). I also went on a test drive in sport mode and the fake engine/exhaust noise is gone. Now, before I go to the next step of unplugging the anc does anyone that have done this notice any increase of cabin noise from road or wind?
I'm only wanting to do this is to remove the fake engine/exhaust when I step hard on the accelerator.
Some say you will get an increase of wind and road noise if you disconnect the anc but my road test was very short so not really sure. Thanks for any feedback.
Was out running errands today and I can say that I have not noticed any increased cabin noise from any exterior source. Nice not to hear the fake exhaust being piped in. Any engine noise now heard is truly from the V6 (like when you stomp on it). ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Did you have to modify anything for this install or just remove the stock speakers and plug these in using factory connectors?
I ordered mine through Crutchfield so they included the mounting rings and the adapter between the factory plug in to the spade lugs on the speakers. With that being said it was simple plug and play. BTW, Crutchfield states that the back of the door panel needs to have the ring that is against the speaker trimmed off, I can verify that with the supplied mounting rings and the Infinity speakers no modification to the doors panels was necessary. That combination is the same height as the stock speakers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I've had 2.5 years to test without ANC, and I did a lot of A/B testing the week I unplugged it since I have hearing issues and despise road noise. ANC only reduces noise from the variable cylinder management (VCM) and a slight tiny bit of low frequency road noise. I can hear very low hum from the VCM only at one or two specific speed and road grade conditions, and it is not that noticeable. The road noise that ANC removed was miniscule and barely noticeable up to 85MPH in my tests. The ANC does so little, and is bonded with that fake exhaust sound, that I think the tradeoff to unplug is very worth it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK, I finally got around to disconnecting the anc. One thing I noticed from the video of how to get to this little rascal was my sport trim does not have the wire connected at the bottom of the glove box. Guess this was one more dime honda saved on the elcheapo sport trim lol. Anyway, will give it a test drive in a few to see if there are any differences.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2019 Honda Passport Touring and installed dual 12 kicker compr's with a kxa1200.1 mono-amplifier. I made a video on disabling the ANC module and it only takes about 10 minutes even for someone who is not used to this sort of thing. It will not harm any handsfree function in the vehicle and doesn't require messing with mics or installing expensive workarounds.
Thanks Stephen, just performed this act! No wire on glove box on the sport trim so my disconnect was soooo much easier lol.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,392 Posts
NOPE...!

Reactions: Gatorgibson

·
3,392 Posts
I ordered mine through Crutchfield so they included the mounting rings and the adapter between the factory plug in to the spade lugs on the speakers. With that being said it was simple plug and play. BTW, Crutchfield states that the back of the door panel needs to have the ring that is against the speaker trimmed off, I can verify that with the supplied mounting rings and the Infinity speakers no modification to the doors panels was necessary. That combination is the same height as the stock speakers.
WARNING:
Attention, this needs to be done, my installer failed to remove the Lip and ruined a set of speakers! The Lip inside the FRONT DOORS SPEAKER sticks out about 1/2" or more. DON'T ASSUME THE STEREO SHOP ALREADY KNOWS - TELL THEM!

Unfortunately, I only have a picture of it AFTER it was removed, if anyone has a photo of the un-removed Lip, please feel free to post it.

Hood Automotive lighting Computer hardware Gadget Automotive exterior

·
Registered
293 Posts
WARNING:
Attention, this needs to be done, my installer failed to remove the Lip and ruined a set of speakers! The Lip inside the FRONT DOORS SPEAKER sticks out about 1/2" or more. DON'T ASSUME THE STEREO SHOP ALREADY KNOWS - TELL THEM!

Unfortunately, I only have a picture of it AFTER it was removed, if anyone has a photo of the un-removed Lip, please feel free to post it.

View attachment 13612
Please clarify this. I just installed mine and did not do any trimming and so far no issues. Getting ready to do the same on wife's pp so would like to know if I need to trim something?

·
3,392 Posts
Please clarify this. I just installed mine and did not do any trimming and so far no issues. Getting ready to do the same on wife's pp so would like to know if I need to trim something?

Look at my pic above see the lip (edge) around the honey-combed area? Mine was trimmed, normally that extends up about 1/2" and could damage new speakers.

If you take your wife's door panel off, please shoot a picture and post here.

If the Lip comes in contact with your new speaker, it could wear or tear the speaker material, ruining the speaker.

Reactions: Gatorgibson

·
Registered
293 Posts
Look at my pic above see the lip (edge) around the honey-combed area? Mine was trimmed, normally that extends up about 1/2" and could damage new speakers.

If you take your wife's door panel off, please shoot a picture and post here.

If the Lip comes in contact with your new speaker, it could wear or tear the speaker material, ruining the speaker.
Oh my, hopefully

Dammit man, hopefully not an issue or I will have to fix mine or replace 😒

·
Registered
181 Posts
Please point me to where you got the instructions for the menu setting trick that disables the ANC.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts