Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have requested to see the Xpel install on my 2020 Passport Touring.

I got the below installed:

H0214 - Headlight and fog light
P0214F/G - Front bumper (without adventure package)
P0214C - Partial hood, partial fender and mirrors (straight cut)(without adventure package)

Took them the day to do it. Came out so good I can’t see it. The only picture you can see it is in the hood in that specific shot on a particular angle. Nice piece of mind protection considering how messed up my 2016 Pilot front end is.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,657 Posts
Why didn’t you do the entire hood and fenders?
That seam in the middle would drive me nuts.

Reactions: storm303

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again you can only see it on that angle and the cost just about doubles to do the entire hood. I have had this on some of my other cars and the very front is what takes the hits.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,657 Posts
Oh I know it works. I have an Xpel wrap on my entire front end, fenders, mirrors, door cups and roof above the window, and certainly heard and felt a few rocks hit me on the highway, but no chips. My CRV had so many rock chips that I used touch up paint for it was terrible.

For the company to charge double what you paid for a whole hood and whole fender is lame. The difference and material at that point is nothing.

Reactions: Spikeitaudi

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah and I am perfectly fine with just the partial hood. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking good! I had Xpel installed in the full front (including the full hold, Honda logo & black mirror parts), fenders, 4 side doors, and bumper. Only thing missing right now is the rear quarter panels and hatchback door.

Paid way too much but so far seems to be doing its job when out in dirt/gravel roads and brush.

Still debating if I should add a ceramic coat to make cleaning easier.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
200 Posts
Looking good! I had Xpel installed in the full front (including the full hold, Honda logo & black mirror parts), fenders, 4 side doors, and bumper. Only thing missing right now is the rear quarter panels and hatchback door.

Paid way too much but so far seems to be doing its job when out in dirt/gravel roads and brush.

Still debating if I should add a ceramic coat to make cleaning easier.
It's a fabulous idea to apply a ceramic coating so as the film is "ceramic friendly" Xpel has it's own version of a ceramic coating called Xpel Fusion Plus. I know of their films and vinyl to be quality and not cheap, it makes sense that they recommend their own specific ceramic coating. You've come thus far in the journey may as well go for broke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a fabulous idea to apply a ceramic coating so as the film is "ceramic friendly" Xpel has it's own version of a ceramic coating called Xpel Fusion Plus. I know of their films and vinyl to be quality and not cheap, it makes sense that they recommend their own specific ceramic coating. You've come thus far in the journey may as well go for broke.
Definitly agree. I had Opticoat Pro+ applied on my previous Accord, which had Xpel Ultimate+ on the full front only. That car stayed clean for a very long time and even when cleaning, usually only a power wash did the trick.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wish I had done this. I already have 3 rock chips. Two on the front hood, and one near the moonroof. I drive far back from people too, but the roads around here are always graveled for snow and never cleaned. I feel like the paint is a bit thin on these cars too.

I wonder if a pro could fix the chips for a reasonable cost without destroying the paint and then apply. Anyone done this after having a couple chips?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wish I had done this. I already have 3 rock chips. Two on the front hood, and one near the moonroof. I drive far back from people too, but the roads around here are always graveled for snow and never cleaned. I feel like the paint is a bit thin on these cars too.

I wonder if a pro could fix the chips for a reasonable cost without destroying the paint and then apply. Anyone done this after having a couple chips?
Take a picture of your driver side door sticker which has the vin (the paint code is also there).

Then go to your nearest Honda Dealership's parts department and have them supply you a touch-up paint for your vehicle.

From there you can apply yourself or go to a good detailing shop to apply it.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
200 Posts

It's very doable to protect after the fact. You'll cover the damage and will always see it. If you are cool with that, then go for it to prevent any further potential damage. It's not the paint but your clear coat that's soft, it's a Honda characteristic as of late. Depending on the extent of your chip damage, size and location, color of vehicle, any quality shop will want to repaint the entire hood. It's too noticeable to blend and feather over such a large area and one that's incredibly visible. It won't look right or good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used the Scotchgard 3M Pro DIY kit with all precut pieces.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Passport-2019-PreCut-3M-PRO

This is something I'd never done before and didn't know what to expect but knew if it all went wrong that it was only a couple hundred dollars. I do a bit of crappy road winter driving and my last vehicle's front end was trashed after 10 years, but I still couldn't justify spending the big bucks to have a professional do it as it's really just a Honda and not a $80k luxury car (which is why I bought a Honda so I wouldn't worry so much if it gets beat up a little AND it had one of the best AWD systems for snow driving).

The first thing I did was trace the edges of each piece on the back of the sheet so if I ruined one I could just buy a small piece of film and cut my own pieces again.
The install took all of a day and I did it all by myself except for the dumper piece which was so big I needed help with. The lining up of edges and stretching (which I thought was going to be the hardest part) actually came out really well, the hardest part was getting the air bulbs out of some of the curved areas which I believe was mainly do to the crappy squeegee they give you, it's too hard and doesn't flex enough.
In the end you really don't notice any of the air bubbles or imperfections unless you really look closely for them and I'd rather see a few bubbles than chipped paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take a picture of your driver side door sticker which has the vin (the paint code is also there).

Then go to your nearest Honda Dealership's parts department and have them supply you a touch-up paint for your vehicle.

From there you can apply yourself or go to a good detailing shop to apply it.
I've done this on my Pilot and while the touch-up paint helps prevent rusting the paint still looks a bit off which is to be expected. Taking it to a detailer worked better but still looked a bit off. Better than not doing it though again for protection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts