Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
993 Posts
Yes, same procedure for all ZF 9-speed transmissions that Honda/Acura use. Instructions are on last page of that Honda bulletin I posted in your link.
Ok thanks. Maybe the video just looked different then the PDF.

I am thinking about ordering the Honda wrench tool, so the roadside assistance person can use it if needed. however, I got locked out of my ebay years ago and they won’t let me open another one. The only one I found online was thru Honda for about $187. Have you seen them anywhere else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
that seems to be going rate except the ones on ebay.
I will be talking with my sales man who give me wrong info.
said it could be put in neutral with key through slot in console.
worst sales man ever.
have a feeling i will be taking a bath with this I can't have this happen when
it gets cold or when I drive in crappy snowy cold weather
5 to 6 months of the year.

·
Super Moderator
993 Posts
that seems to be going rate except the ones on ebay.
I will be talking with my sales man who give me wrong info.
said it could be put in neutral with key through slot in console.
worst sales man ever.
have a feeling i will be taking a bath with this I can't have this happen when
it gets cold or when I drive in crappy snowy cold weather
5 to 6 months of the year.
It is pretty lame. I’m going to talk with my local Honda shop guys next week and see what they say.

As for worst Honda sales guy...there is a very long line of those!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
put one of my deep cycle batteries on charger last night
so I could try to boost it since it was blocking in our other vehicle
and couldn't use it..
waited till it warmed up to a balmy -10 then went out try
jumping it and wala it started.
PP battery had 12.6v before boost, obviously
couldnt supply enough current.
no idiot lights nutting
thought these AGM batteries were better.
gonna call dealer see if they can check battery.
mandatory equipment is gonna be
one of those jumper boxes and neutral shift tool

·
Registered
130 Posts
Simple mod on all our PPs is a quick connector plug that allows a CTEK MUS without having to open bonnet. The CTEK units have a setting to accommodate AGM batteries charged at 14.4v and all our Hondas are periodically charged overnight, at a minimum 2x/month

·
Registered
150 Posts
what a day
sold my 2003 silverado and watched it drive away
jump in passport wont start, wont even crank but battery seems
fine can hear the fuel pump run.
was -24c last night
guess i will slap charger on it
seems like it has lots of charge
something may be frozen
I would disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect it. That will restart all the processors in the vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok thanks. Maybe the video just looked different then the PDF.

I am thinking about ordering the Honda wrench tool, so the roadside assistance person can use it if needed. however, I got locked out of my ebay years ago and they won’t let me open another one. The only one I found online was thru Honda for about $187. Have you seen them anywhere else?
eBay seller raised the price over night from $50 to now its $150. I guess sudden demand for it. Got mine a year ago for $65. But it is still cheaper than what the dealers sell it for.

·
Registered
180 Posts
put one of my deep cycle batteries on charger last night
so I could try to boost it since it was blocking in our other vehicle
and couldn't use it..
waited till it warmed up to a balmy -10 then went out try
jumping it and wala it started.
PP battery had 12.6v before boost, obviously
couldnt supply enough current.
no idiot lights nutting
thought these AGM batteries were better.
gonna call dealer see if they can check battery.
mandatory equipment is gonna be
one of those jumper boxes and neutral shift tool
Glad you got it started. Something up with the PP and the cold- whether the battery or something else in the system. And quite cold up there!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yup the battery or the way the charging system keeps it charged.
should be no need to charge a battery if the vehicle is used for hours a day.
ordered a 2000a jump starter to keep with me.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
180 Posts
Is this just related to very cold weather? Would a block heater help at all? I’m not a mechanic, but just thinking if the engine was warm enough, it might help the starter kick it over.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
180 Posts
Simple mod on all our PPs is a quick connector plug that allows a CTEK MUS without having to open bonnet. The CTEK units have a setting to accommodate AGM batteries charged at 14.4v and all our Hondas are periodically charged overnight, at a minimum 2x/month
Which model of CTEK MUS do you have? Got a link for that and the quick connect?

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
993 Posts
Is this just related to very cold weather? Would a block heater help at all? I’m not a mechanic, but just thinking if the engine was warm enough, it might help the starter kick it over.
doubtful. I’ve had issues twice with starting at 30*

·
Registered
124 Posts
doubtful. I’ve had issues twice with starting at 30*
This doesn't seem normal at all. Is there perhaps bad battery batches out there? I live in winter temps that are often 5-20 degrees in the morning and have not had a single starting issue yet, knock on wood. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda cheaped out on the battery. Perhaps a 800A Optima AGM will fit? They aren't cheap but they are exceptionally reliable and have a lot of starting current.

·
Registered
130 Posts
All our Honda models (Fit, Ridgeline, PP, Accord, CRV) have 'weak' batteries as installed when new. Since accountants and not engineers run the corporate office, they bid for cheapest bulk supplier (Johnson controls). That means each owner must maintain their batteries. All our 2019 and 2020 models came with batteries that were already 6 to 10 months old. All had drained capacity, evidence of sulfation and spent a full week in CTEK MUS maintenance mode before being put into 'regular daily service'.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's been as cold as 9 degrees (F) here (-12C) I've started my Passport with no problem. Sounds like there is something else going on with the no-start.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
seems the issue is -20c and below,
I even drove for 3 hours the day before so
it should of been completely charged.(auto stop start was engaging)
also read 12.6v before boost,
so have to wonder the current capacity of these batteries below -20c
I have already debated looking at a better battery and may shell out for one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All our Honda models (Fit, Ridgeline, PP, Accord, CRV) have 'weak' batteries as installed when new...
When our sales rep was going through all his pre-delivery checklist stuff he warned us that if we did a lot of fiddling we should start the engine or hook to a charger or something. No doubt also why the Navigation update says "run the engine throughout this procedure".

I would make a crack about Honda "being cheap" in this regard, but in the end I can't deny that I'm somewhat amazed at the technology in today's vehicles including that the prices have not even gone up much if at all in the last decade!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts