Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else’s windshield seem a little more fragile than most other cars. I got pegged with two stones on the highway, and I have collected to small cracks. Seems like my Civic si was more resilient to FOD on the road. Just curious to find out if anyone has noticed this as well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,016 Posts
No cracks here, but I have 13 small rock chips and not even a year old yet.
My CRV windshield was terrible with chips after spending 6 years in Vegas with all the construction, gravel and caliche trucks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What model do you have?
Sport has a regular windshield and all others have an acoustic windshield.
I have a Touring and took what I thought was a large rock, while driving at night.
The next day I searched and searched and only found a very slight chip.
The sound was very similar to when I took a large rock in my Pilot of few months earlier. That windshield was toast! Large circular crack, then crack running away from the circle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone else’s windshield seem a little more fragile than most other cars. I got pegged with two stones on the highway, and I have collected to small cracks. Seems like my Civic si was more resilient to FOD on the road. Just curious to find out if anyone has noticed this as well.
Yes, a couple days ago got hit with a rock and wound up with a crack. Not happy considering it's less than a month old. Had Safelite fix it today. They did a fabulous job and I didn't have to pay anything because my insurance pays for repairs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The only extended warranty that I bought was the windshield replacement/calibration from Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2,016 Posts
The only extended warranty that I bought was the windshield replacement/calibration from Honda.
I don’t think this was even offered to me!
Is it written on your contract as windshield replacement?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model do you have?
Sport has a regular windshield and all others have an acoustic windshield.
I have a Touring and took what I thought was a large rock, while driving at night.
The next day I searched and searched and only found a very slight chip.
The sound was very similar to when I took a large rock in my Pilot of few months earlier. That windshield was toast! Large circular crack, then crack running away from the circle.
2019 elite

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to check with my dealer. There supposed to be the home of the lifetime warranty. But I don’t know if windshields are covered. I didn’t even know about the acoustic windshield. How exactly does it work?

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I went in to the finance office, a $2,000+ Honda warranty was offered. When I said no, the plan's options were broken in to pieces and offered individually.
I said that I wanted to check with my auto insurance, about my windshield coverage. Progressive doesn't cover windshields.
I went back to the finance officer, a few days later and they sold me a Honda plan, for $570, all inclusive at any Honda dealer. I don't recall how many years it is in effect, but I'll check.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to check with my dealer. There supposed to be the home of the lifetime warranty. But I don’t know if windshields are covered. I didn’t even know about the acoustic windshield. How exactly does it work?
Basically, a thicker windshield.

Acoustic Glass
Special acoustic laminated windshield glass is used on the EX-L and above trims to help reduce noise entering the cabin. Tuned specifically to attenuate wind-noise frequencies, the windshield glass uses an outer layer of 2.0mm safety glass, a 0.7mm thick middle layer of acoustic polyvinyl butyral (PVB) and a 1.8mm inner layer for a total thickness of 4.5mm.

I've had AAA insurance for years. It's always been a $100 deductible for replacement. Used 4 times I can recall. On a 1 month old '94 Ford truck, 2 X on the '03 Ody, and recently on the '06 Pilot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As CAJack42 stated, the acoustic windshield is made up of two thin layers of safety glass with an absorbent material sandwiched in between. As his numbers point out, the outer or impact layer is only 2.0mm thick, rather than a solid 4.5mm of glass, hence IMHO the greater potential of projectile damage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
. . rather than a solid 4.5mm of glass, hence IMHO the greater potential of projectile damage.
I don't think any windshields are made of solid glass. (how could they be 'safety' without a laminate layer?)
Haven't seen the spec for the Sport windshield, but a google ? yields;
A typical laminated windshield is very thin: each glass layer is approximately . 03 inch (. 76 millimeter) thick, while the plastic interlayer is approximately . 098 inch (2.5 millimeters) thick.

·
Super Moderator
2,016 Posts
Thanks CAJack and Ken for this information.

So if one of my 13 chips turns to a crack, it’s likely to just crack the outer layer?

That’s a big difference between what we have and the standard thickness,

·
Registered
893 Posts
Agreed, Heather. The concept of acoustic glass in automobiles is a real comfort advancement with the quieter ride, however, the more vulnerable exterior thinner glass with the sensors and camera make for expensive repairs with breakage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts