Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any PP drivers out there using the built in WiFi capabilities? Have a family road trip and thinking about activating it for that trip. Haven’t tried it before. Not how it works or if I need a contract with a carrier but WiFi would be great to have on the road for the kids.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’ve only connected the WiFi to my house WiFi. Haven’t done anything more than connect though. I’m hoping to see if I can figure out how to get a garmin update because my neighborhood doesn’t register on the gps, and it’s a 7 year old neighborhood..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run my cellphone as a hotspot for inside the car and use the wifi to connect laptops, tablets......

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did yours come with a 3 month/3GB free trial? If so, go to the Honda/ATT website and activate your trial. Go to this site and give them a call.

Honda ATT WiFi

Reactions: rls002

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did yours come with a 3 month/3GB free trial? If so, go to the Honda/ATT website and activate your trial. Go to this site and give them a call.

Honda ATT WiFi
Yes but I didn't use it, I was aiming for a long-term solution and paying ATT wasn't it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dug into it some more too. Yes, you can use the trial - which as described above caps at 3GB or 3mth, which ever you hit first. If you want something beyond that (even if it's short term for a a single road trip), the AT&T link above is pretty good at spelling it out. I am going to try the Connected Car Prepaid Unlimited Data and stop it from autorenewing after my short-term need is over. I'm choosing that over the trial because I think a streaming user would hit 3GB pretty quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have activated the 3 mo/ 3 GB trial and so far the AT&T Honda Hotspot is abysmally slow when compared to just using 4G LTE data on my AT&T subscribed Iphone Xs. Like 86 Mbps on the phone data connection vs 6 Mbps using the car data connection. I have so far only tested with the car parked in local parking lots.

It is possible the bigger and presumably outside-the-vehicle antenna will provide a stronger and more consistent data connection when in motion, but the slowness negates that for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have activated the 3 mo/ 3 GB trial and so far the AT&T Honda Hotspot is abysmally slow when compared to just using 4G LTE data on my AT&T subscribed Iphone Xs. Like 86 Mbps on the phone data connection vs 6 Mbps using the car data connection. I have so far only tested with the car parked in local parking lots.

It is possible the bigger and presumably outside-the-vehicle antenna will provide a stronger and more consistent data connection when in motion, but the slowness negates that for me.
Its unlikely the speed problem is the antenna; more likely they limit the thru-put given its an inexpensive service as compared to a smartphone.

I have Consumer Cellular for my phones but I also have a dedicated hotspot. It casts my $5/mo additional, shares my data plan and I use it when my Internet goes down at home; its works perfectly on all my 8 computers and 2 tablets. I also use it when I'm on a road trip. The advantage of the hotspot is that it has a massive battery so it runs all day.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I’ve only connected the WiFi to my house WiFi. Haven’t done anything more than connect though. I’m hoping to see if I can figure out how to get a garmin update because my neighborhood doesn’t register on the gps, and it’s a 7 year old neighborhood..
I had a similar problem with my Garmin navi this past weekend. I input an address that my 2012 Pilot's navi system always found, but my new PP couldn't. Very strange.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Garmin navi this past weekend. I input an address that my 2012 Pilot's navi system always found, but my new PP couldn't. Very strange.
The GPS on the Passport can only be updated using a USB drive.For this you need a computer as well you can connect to the update site. See the owners manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts