Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think Honda really priced the passport wrong. It’s more expensive than a pilot and their elite model cost just as much as a Toyota TRD off-road. I rather have a proven suv like 4Runner. I think Honda won’t be selling them like hotcakes. Actually heard a lot are still sitting on the lot because Honda isn’t giving discounts.

So why would anyone choose the Passport over the 4runner? Please list some Pros. I can't really think of any..

·
Registered
99 Posts
As for why not the 4Runner, personally I don't like the look. I liked the size of the Passport and I wanted something that would be very comfortable for most of the daily driving I'd be doing, but also able to be loaded up with scuba equipment and able to drive onto a beach or water front. The extra capability during the winter in north Illinois when the roads go to crap is another bonus.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Been there, done that. Seriously considered it. Did test drive TRD Off Road (not the Premium one).
So, let's see.
First, why regular TRD Off Road and not Premium?
I'm ~6' tall. Premium comes with a moonroof. Inside 4Runner is noticeably smaller and the roof is lower. When they installed the moonroof, the roof becomes even lower. The way the seats are positioned, you can see where the roof liner comes down to accommodate the moonroof. If you tall, it doesn't feel good especially when sitting in the second row. More, if I move forward while sitting on the second row, I hit the roof liner with my head.
Gas mileage. With stock tires one can get promised gas mileage, 17/20. One better not to drive faster than ~70 mph as at 80 gas mileage drops to almost 15.
Suspension. I'm not sure how it is on the other trims, but on TRD Off Road it is way too soft. So the handling is way worse than the Passport/Pilot. I'd say replacing it is a must and not only for the lift. KDSS you ask? Not sure as I could not locate a single vehicle with it anywhere close to MA.
Acceleration. Anemic. It is built for off roading and anemic gas pedal works great for it. Getting it as a daily driver, might lead to frustration.
Interior. Way outdated. Head unit is from the past. Can be replaced with aftermarket units. Cost is probably $1000-$1200 before installation. Also, SofTex seats in Premium - really? Not for me. I better live with cloth seats.
Controls on steering wheel. I guess I used to Honda. On 4Runner I found them not in place.
So, as I was looking for a vehicle mostly as a daily driver, the list of cons was too long and I decided that I can live with that if I can get it at around $32k-$33k. Than suspension and head unit upgrades would move it to a level of Passport Touring (invoice).
Well, the best offers I've got for TRD Off Road was ~35.4k for 2018 and 35.7 for 2019.
It might be all reasonable and make more sense if you live in the area with more off-road opportunities. In MA to me it didn't make sense.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It’s more expensive than a pilot
Not by MSRP. It's been on sale less than a month so it will take a while for market sales price to drop.
I rather have a proven suv like 4Runner.
What's not proven about the Honda Pilot/Ridgeline/Passport iVTM4 AWD system? It capably does what Honda says it will do, and owners will never need more than that. If you need to "rock crawl", you should buy something else.
Please list some Pros.
Looks, power, fuel economy, interior room, cargo capacity, driver assistance features, infotainment, ergonomics...
I can't really think of any..
Your 4Runner awaits you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
4Runner has less room, less comfort, less tech in return for better off road capability.

4Runner is body on frame which is great if you're rock crawling or desert running but not so great for potholes, cargo room, and tall people.

4Runner doesn't have walk-up auto unlock (have to hit unlock on the key fob), adaptive cruise control, Apple Carplay (yet ... Looks like the 2020 TRD Pro might add it) or Android Auto (no Toyotas have this yet). (Edit: Carplay, Android Auto, and Adaptive Cruise are coming in the 2020 model).

Basically if you want to trade off daily commute and roadtrip comfort for rugged truck capability then the 4Runner is a great vehicle.

If you want a great commuter and road trip car with better comfort and features that you aren't afraid will scrape when you take it on a gravel road once in a while, the Passport is probably a better vehicle to live with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Apple Carplay (yet ... Looks like the 2020 TRD Pro might add it) or Android Auto (no Toyotas have this yet).
Based on what Toyota said during TRD presentation on Chicago Auto Show, all 4Runner trims will get new head unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for 2020. The Pro will get a head unit with 8" screen but the screen size is not clear for other trims.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Based on what Toyota said during TRD presentation on Chicago Auto Show, all 4Runner trims will get new head unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for 2020. The Pro will get a head unit with 8" screen but the screen size is not clear for other trims.
Yep, you're right! Looks like the 2020 4Runner gets Carplay, Android Auto, and the sensing suite with adaptive cruise control:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1121342_2020-toyota-upgrades-pickup-trucks-suvs-with-android-auto-apple-carplay

·
Registered
192 Posts
Everyone else pretty much covered it. I’ve been a Toyota fan for a number of years having owned an ‘08 Highlander, ‘18 Camry (traded for the Passport), and the ‘10 Tundra that I still own. I briefly thought the 4-runner would be my go to when considering a midsize daily driver but it has hardly changed, aesthetically or technologically, in close to the last 10 years. So, when you buy a new one, is it really all that new? I didn’t think so.

It’s great at what it’s designed to do, which is not what I needed my midsize to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
will it get auto lift gate?
They didn't say anything about that and I would say highly unlikely.

Rumor has it that the new one should come out relatively soon. As it was said, the current one hasn't changed since 2010, platform-wise even longer. People speculate when the new one will come. I heard 2021 and I heard 2023. I would think that priority would be engine and transmission. There are only two this kind of mid-size vehicles left on the market right now: Wrangler and 4Runner (three if you count long and short Wrangler as different). All fans hope that Toyota will keep 4Runner fundamentally as it is: body on frame build for off road. Amenities like power lift gate are secondary for such vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If rock crawling or hardcore off-road use is the intended purpose, I think the 4Runner is absolutely a better choice. I don't really see the Passport and 4Runner as direct competitors though. With the Passport more geared towards soft-roading. Basically capturing the Subaru market. With the benefits over the 4Runner being it's significantly better in daily driving environments. Has much more tech, more room and the transmission programming can't possibly be worse than it is in the 4Runner. I drove a 5th Gen for a month while my friend borrowed my GX470 for a road trip (needed the V8 to tow) and couldn't wait to give it back. It tries to get to overdrive almost immediately, no power down low and passing is an act of faith. That said, it's very capable, and while the interior materials aren't what I consider luxury grade, the actual build quality is great. I actually happen to love the way they look in the Nightshade trim, though I would swap the TRD wheels one were mine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rented one last summer and liked the ride
At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference, If you like it more, go for it. If you do not need hardcore off road capabilities, SR5 trim is less expensive. Main thing it doesn't have is locking rear differential. All of them, except Limited, are part time 4WD.
Limited is AWD and real leather (not SofTex). Still, there are better options in its price range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 4Runner would be my first choice if it wasn't so outdated and frankly the front end looks terrible IMO. I've owned one previously for 10 years and it never required a trip to the dealer for repairs, that compared to my Grand Cherokee which was non-stop in the dealer for repairs until they took it back under California Lemon law. Gas milage is poor, but Passport isn't much better. I drive fairly fast on a 40 mile rough dirt road 3-4 times a year. The 4Runner handled it with grace, I'm hoping the Passport can too. We'll see....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I owned a 2019 Limited Nightshade 4Runner and it was the worst car I have ever owned. Sluggish V6, Zero Tech, Zero Safety Features, No LED Headlights or Fog Lights and dismal gas mileage... For a near $50k MSRP it is a joke...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I owned a 2019 Limited Nightshade 4Runner and it was the worst car I have ever owned. Sluggish V6, Zero Tech, Zero Safety Features, No LED Headlights or Fog Lights and dismal gas mileage... For a near $50k MSRP it is a joke...
Can't say its the first time i heard this sort of feedback of Toyota's. Similar gripes can be said about the Tacoma which leads me to believe Toyota is banking on the legacy these models have which lives on today to an extent that some Toyota loyalists won't acknowledge the extent of certain issues.

·
977 Posts
We owned a 1998 4Runner Limited and it was super reliable, sold it at 217k miles.

If Toyota would have taken the current Tacoma and put an SUV body on it and called it the new 4Runner, with all the safety features of the new RAV4...

I would buy one OVER the Passport in an instant.. But alas no, the current 4Runner has not had a full makeover in 10 years!

Read this review as they score each aspect:
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/305014/2019-toyota-4runner-trd-off-road-review/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts