Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I very much like and use the Garmin system on my Passport. If I used another GPS Navigation unit, it would be my portableGarmin unit. Of all the vehicle installed and portable nav systems, I've found the voice activated Garmin systems to be the easiest and most intuitive to use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was not planning on using the Garmin unit in my PP and in fact was going to buy the EXL without the Navi, but ended up with the Touring for other reasons and of course got the Navi along with that. I previously used CarPlay and did not like the Navi system at all in my previous car which was a Mercedes. All that said, I love the PP Garmin system and use it more than I have ever used Navi in the past. The traffic information is accurate, the wide screen display along with information available to me is perfect and I have not used CarPlay in this car at all.
We have a CRV EXL without Navi and I still use CarPlay there when needed, but I give a huge thumbs up for the Honda Garmin system.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use all three, internal, Waze, and Google Maps. I also have a full featured Garmin GPS that I haven't used in the Passport. I only wish the internal Garmin was full featured as my stand-alone Garmin unit. My Garmin Nuvi-cam has guided me through much of the US, Mexico and Canada with few hiccups.

Go ahead, Honda, charge me another $50 and put in a loaded Garmin and I'll be a happy driver.

Reactions: WayneP

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use all three, internal, Waze, and Google Maps. I also have a full featured Garmin GPS that I haven't used in the Passport. I only wish the internal Garmin was full featured as my stand-alone Garmin unit. My Garmin Nuvi-cam has guided me through much of the US, Mexico and Canada with few hiccups.

Go ahead, Honda, charge me another $50 and put in a loaded Garmin and I'll be a happy driver.
Which features are missing from the Garmin unit that's built into the car?

·
Registered
630 Posts
On our extended trip cross-country and on less traveled roads, I prefer Google Maps via Car Play over the built-in Garmin. I have not used Waze.
  • Google Maps is more relaible on routing and time estimates. Garmin was estimating much more longer travel times (in excess of an hour in some cases).
  • Google Maps has more current map information and traffic information. Garmin did not account for a road closure. Fortunately, I noticed a road advisory sign.
  • Zoom on Garmin is easier to access than Google Maps which requires an extra step. Lack of auto-zoom on both is a distraction while driving.
  • Saved places are easier to access via Garmin and can be accessed while vehicle is in motion.
  • Cannot enter new destinations via Garmin while vehicle is in motion. My co-pilot enters new destinations via Google Map while driving.
  • Google Map via CarPlay pops out to the top level CarPlay menu. Why?!

·
Registered
200 Posts
On our extended trip cross-country and on less traveled roads, I prefer Google Maps via Car Play over the built-in Garmin. I have not used Waze.
  • Google Maps is more relaible on routing and time estimates. Garmin was estimating much more longer travel times (in excess of an hour in some cases).
  • Google Maps has more current map information and traffic information. Garmin did not account for a road closure. Fortunately, I noticed a road advisory sign.
  • Zoom on Garmin is easier to access than Google Maps which requires an extra step. Lack of auto-zoom on both is a distraction while driving.
  • Saved places are easier to access via Garmin and can be accessed while vehicle is in motion.
  • Cannot enter new destinations via Garmin while vehicle is in motion. My co-pilot enters new destinations via Google Map while driving.
  • Google Map via CarPlay pops out to the top level CarPlay menu. Why?!
The last app you use in CarPlay will always move to the top if that’s what you mean.

For day to day driving where I know what lane I need to be in, or long highway road trips, I use Waze via CarPlay for the superior traffic, police, hazard info as well as the GPS sourced speed info. When I’m out of town and driving around an unfamiliar area, I use google maps for the lane specific direction. Google owns Waze so maybe one day Waze will get that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wonder why some have problems using waze and CarPlay and others do not. So my work around has been using waze through blue tooth and just hearing directions vs seeing on navigation system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used Waze almost all the time prior to getting my PP Touring. Just starting Garmin. I find the CarPlay with Waze and incoming phone calls a little confusing.. So I am trying each of them out to find the best fit for my brain.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Can someone tell me how to save an address you've entered into the Garmin app?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I very much like and use the Garmin system on my Passport. If I used another GPS Navigation unit, it would be my portableGarmin unit. Of all the vehicle installed and portable nav systems, I've found the voice activated Garmin systems to be the easiest and most intuitive to use.
I hope it's ok to ask a question here... if not, sorry. Can I add an address from my phone or laptop?

·
Registered
370 Posts
After 8 months of ownership of my Elite, I have decided the best combination for me is a Garmin Drivesmart on the dash and Waze on the built in screen. My Drivesmart is much more full featured and Waze is cool. I just finished a 3,000 mile trip across the country this way. I also have a Garmin Dashcam in the upper corner of my windshield.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts