Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to make large annual purchases from handa-accessories until they closed their website and another good source was an online Acura dealer in NJ that shipped anywhere in contiguous US for free.

Where do you buy non-engine fluids? (CVT, DW-1,VTM,ATF-Type 3.1)

As for engine oil, in USA we buy for all family Hondas (Pilots,Ridgelines,Passports,CRVs,Fits,Civics,Accords) using AAP,Autozone,NAPA annual store clearances and have never had issues with using any variants of xx-30 or even xx-40 SAE. Often we get these for $1/qt even for full synthetic oils. We drive Hondas on 3 continents so be aware that the same engine in the USA that we use in EU or AU may have owners manual spec with a completely different recommendation for xx-xxW SAE grade despite same ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bernardi Parts and Amazon.

also
HondaPartsNow if you have the Honda part numbers to search with:

I use Bernardi to get the Honda part number then Google search that number. You need to compare the price with the shipping charges from each vender to find the best deal. Often Bernardi has shipping discounts during holidays which might be a good time to stock up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't do it : ) Even with ATF DW people always recommend Honda. The Honda transmission is a bit touchy.
now this ZF9 transmission, it's probably better to stick with OEM.

Apparently Valvoline Maxlife is suitable for ATF Type 3.1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unlike a true Honda transmission, this one is built by ZF Friedrichshafen AG subsidiary ZF Transmissions
I totally agree there, but it also brings up more questions, like: is Jeep's Mopar fluid the same as Honda ATF 3.1... I think the colors are different too.
Then there's the software side, since Jeep has different software than Honda, would a different fluid change how the sensor detects pressure of shifting....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apparently Valvoline Maxlife is suitable for ATF Type 3.1

View attachment 4233
With the price of ATF Type 3.1 close to $50 per quart someone will inevitable try the Valvoline since it's much cheaper and listed as compatible. A big gamble IMO. Trans fluid changes at the dealer will approach $500 between the labor charge and the high fluid cost. On the 9 speed, it can't be done DIY either, something to think about.

I've never really scored any deals on fluids over the years. Cheapest method so far is to use Bernardi and wait for one of those free shipping sales and buy in bulk DPSF, coolant, trans, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
..On the 9 speed, it can't be done DIY either, something to think about...
I have seem a couple of videos on DIY (one on a Acura, the other on a Cherokee). But, you are correct, overall not enough people willing to take the risk even if they had experience with fluid change on a 6 speed.

The instruction from Honda on ZF9 is also a little goofy. Example: Honda instruction states to fill the fluid from the "level" plug which is on the side next to the wheel. Ok, but there is a "fill" plug right above, I think it would be easier to use that. But, what do I know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The process is identical to our CRVs except the type of fluid used, 3 plugs, always take off level check & fill, last drain. Easy DIY.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The process is identical to our CRVs except the type of fluid used, 3 plugs, always take off level check & fill, last drain. Easy DIY.
Hey Hondo, I would love to see a ZF9 fluid change walk through next time you do it (with pics would be awesome).
I read on another thread that you change your fluids every other engine oil change. Funny enough, I did the same on
my CRV. I have been looking for a good DIY instruction for a Honda ZF9 fluid change, but most of them are confusing especially setting up the temperature and deactivate VSA (both of these I felt are not necessary, which I could be wrong). Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Identical? Easy?? No way would I go under the vehicle on jack stands when the wheels are moving through the gears. Are you saying there is a way to eliminate these steps?

Post 10, steps 2 5 and 7 I've never done on a CRV. Would love to see a DIY video or some sort of hack they way that they do for the Toyotas.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Identical? Easy?? No way would I go under the vehicle on jack stands when the wheels are moving through the gears. Are you saying there is a way to eliminate these steps?

Post 10, steps 2 5 and 7 I've never done on a CRV. Would love to see a DIY video or some sort of hack they way that they do for the Toyotas.

You don’t get under it while the wheels are turning, you just run it through the gears the instructions say then slowly brake down to a stop and shift to park. You then pull the fill plug and see if the fluid is barely running out, if not add more fluid until it does.

Easiest way is to just drain the ATF into a measuring bucket and put that exact amount of new fluid back in through the top fill hole. I would recommend having the vehicle sit overnight alongside the new fluid bottles so the fluid temperature is the exact same.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jermboy777 said:
Easiest way is to just drain the ATF into a measuring bucket and put that exact amount of new fluid back in through the top fill hole.
+1 (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don’t get under it while the wheels are turning, you just run it through the gears the instructions say then slowly brake down to a stop and shift to park. You then pull the fill plug and see if the fluid is barely running out, if not add more fluid until it does.

Easiest way is to just drain the ATF into a measuring bucket and put that exact amount of new fluid back in through the top fill hole. I would recommend having the vehicle sit overnight alongside the new fluid bottles so the fluid temperature is the exact same.
There is something to be said for this and I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers do this but still charge the $500. Has anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is something to be said for this and I wouldn't be surprised if some dealers do this but still charge the $500. Has anyone done this yet?
Its how I do the ATF change on my civic CVT with no dipstick. ATF doesn’t burn off or evaporate so as long as you don’t have leaks the fluid level doesn’t change, and should be at the factory filled level at all times. Like I mentioned though you want to make sure the fluid temps are the same between what’s in the transmission and what’s in the bottles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its how I do the ATF change on my civic CVT with no dipstick. ATF doesn’t burn off or evaporate so as long as you don’t have leaks the fluid level doesn’t change, and should be at the factory filled level at all times. Like I mentioned though you want to make sure the fluid temps are the same between what’s in the transmission and what’s in the bottles.
No check bolt on Civic? I've changed the CVT fluid a few times on our CRV and always put back in what came out. On the last change I pulled the check bolt and it was slightly overfilled FWIW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts