Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would go with what the maintenance minder tells you. It will adjust to your driving type. There is no need to change oil that quickly unless MM says so.

Reactions: Barbwire

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've always followed the MM on our Pilot. No problems for 240,000 miles. No harm in doing a one-time-good-deal at 5k, though. Feels good man.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Whenever the maintenance minder tells me to.

Reactions: Barbwire

·
Registered
209 Posts
3,000 miles. Will do it myself. New engines are only "New" once... and oil is cheap. You're not hurting anything by changing oil early (after break-in). By 3000 miles, the engine and rings should be broken in properly. I bought mine, so I just want the extra reassurance of fresh oil and a great filter.
After the first change, I will go by the Maintenance Monitor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the dealer/Honda put in 100% synthetic oil? If not, has anyone requested that they switch out the standard oil for the synthetic oil when picking it up? Did they charge you?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had bought oil at the dealer last week for my vehicle. They asked my vehicle. I told them 2019 Passport. He brought me 0W-20 full synthetic Honda Brand oil. So I assume they do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Im not sure if this is true but, I was told the oil that was put into our new engines have extra "Zinc"addictive for break- in purposes? That the longer we keep the original oil in our new engines the better. I kept my oil in my 2017 HR-V until the MM said 10% life left "@7,000" on the car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think it's a old tale. I asked the dealer and they said no... just plain Motor oil (synthetic) is in the engines. Like others though he did say to run with it's factory fill until at least 3000 miles to make sure the rings are broke in and such. I had already known that. But yeah, I don't think they add anything to the oil when they build the engine.

Reactions: scooter1

·
Registered
822 Posts
Speaking of oil changes, I was surprised to see the viscosity of our PP's oil is 0W-30. That's really thin juice. I recall putting 20W-40 in my 1970, straight six, Triumph TR-6. Thoughts?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’m considering using “Amsoil” because of its low “Noack” rating. Our Passports are direct injection, meaning the top side of the valves don’t get washed off with fuel. The oil vapor that comes from the oil pan that goes into the intake accumulates on top of the intake valve. The Noack test is to determine the evaporation loss when the oil is in the oil pan. The standard Noack rating for todays oils is less then 15.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don’t know if this is a bunch of hype? Makes sense to me, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run Amsoil in my s2000 differential and Mobil One in its engine. All my other Honda's and lawn implements have been fed just about every type of engine oil and I never had problems or noticed any differences. Thanks for posting the chart.

·
Registered
123 Posts
5k oil wise only Pennzoil Ultra Platinum goes into our vehicles. Expensive but top notch oil and the best out there imo.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What the maintenance minder says.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Speaking of oil changes, I was surprised to see the viscosity of our PP's oil is 0W-30. That's really thin juice. I recall putting 20W-40 in my 1970, straight six, Triumph TR-6. Thoughts?
It is synthetic oil..In 1970 they did not have synthetic oil.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the dealer/Honda put in 100% synthetic oil? If not, has anyone requested that they switch out the standard oil for the synthetic oil when picking it up? Did they charge you?
Honda (including Acura) only uses 100% synthetic oil nowadays.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts