Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to what everyone's parking situation is....where do you park at home ? I know not everyone has access to a garage so I was wondering how you feel leaving your PP sitting outside ?
I'm asking because I have a 2 car garage currently occupied by my wife's 2020 PP and my occasional summer weekend fun car (2002 TA) My daily driver is a 2016 Scion TC that sits on the driveway as it has since new. I'm ready to buy a PP for me but I'm having a hard time swallowing parking a $40k car outside 24/7. Not concerned at all about security issues etc, just worried about rust and I guess excessive exposure to the elements (Chicagoland area).

My wife's prior car was a 2007 CRV garaged since new and looked flawless paint and underbody wise. Minimal rust underneath as expected on on a 2007 with 190k on the clock. My TC is already showing signs of more deterioration underneath and in the engine bay area but I only paid 19k for it lol.

. I guess...convince me its ok to leave it outside...I'm going to buy it anyway lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Both daily drivers, wife 2016 Nissan Rogue and my 2020 Passport Touring are tucked nicely into their beds in the three car garage every single night. We even read them bedtime stories and give them cups of warm 0W-20 full synthetic before bedtime. 😅

Ok seriously the cars are garaged every night. The 3/4 ton PU won't fit in the garage so it sits in front of the 3rd car garage door which is also my work shop on the inside.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite (Modern Steel Metallic, Black Interior)
105 Posts
Apartment parking lot. I live in Florida, so not worried about salt corrosion. I had the car treated with PPF for the whole front and ceramic coated over the whole car. Aside from that, just wash her once a month and it’s all good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a one car garage with a C7 Corvette Z06 in it. The wife has a Mazda Signature CX5 and my Honda Elite both of which sit outside on the driveway. I do wash and wax my Honda more than I do the Mazda but this being the first winter for my Honda, it’s holding up very well with all the snow and ice we have here in Connecticut.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,988 Posts
I either use my attached 28' x 28' garage, or my 24' x 36' detached garage. I have enough garage space for 6 cars 🤦‍♂️
How far away are you from HB with that 6 car garage parking!

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I’m adamant about not parking my vehicles outside as well.
So I park in my tiny ass detached single (small) car garage that is 17’ L x 8’9” - opening is 7’5”.
But its a rental and only temporary...8 years later.
I’d post the sad photo with my passport in it again, but MJ and StevenD will make fun of me. 🤣🤣
why:
1) it’s the second most expensive purchase we make, or for us renters, the first most expensive.
2) I live near the beach so salt air will destroy vehicles in no time and make a daily mess of it.
3) we have a lot of catalytic converter and vehicle theft lately.
4) Pre-Covid I traveled about 9 months out of the year for work, and can’t leave my car on the street due to street sweeping. Now, I barely drive it to 3 different grocery-markets every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you are in the Chicago area, it is the winter salt that does the most damage and source of corrosion. My son had our 10 year old Accord that lived most of its life in New England and garaged. When he was in Arizona, the mechanic knew immediately it was from the rust belt and did not enjoy working on it. Corrosion protection is better on current generation of vehicles. If you drive your vehicle in the winters, it is best to flush out the undercarriage when you can.

As for the exterior paint, give the vehicle a good wash and apply a sealant (longer lasting than wax) before the cold weather and after the winter. Touch up paint chips, especially on the frontal area.

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
Both daily drivers, wife 2016 Nissan Rogue and my 2020 Passport Touring are tucked nicely into their beds in the three car garage every single night. We even read them bedtime stories and give them cups of warm 0W-20 full synthetic before bedtime. 😅

Ok seriously the cars are garaged every night. The 3/4 ton PU won't fit in the garage so it sits in front of the 3rd car garage door which is also my work shop on the inside.
You had me at...💙💙
are tucked nicely into their beds in the three car garage every single night. We even read them bedtime stories and give them cups of warm 0W-20 full synthetic before bedtime. 😅

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
Western PA. That would be a long commute.
Just a bit too far and way too cold for this weather pansy! 🥶
But when you have a moment, please post a photo of your six car garages so I can weep about my decisions in life!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just a bit too far and way too cold for this weather pansy! 🥶
But when you have a moment, please post a photo of your six car garages so I can weep about my decisions in life!
This is the attached garage. Previous owner actually had three cars in here. But I will only fit 2 due to the vehicles.

my picture:

previous owners picture:

the detached is below...
it can fit 2 cars on each side in tandem

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
This is the attached garage. Previous owner actually had three cars in here. But I will only fit 2 due to the vehicles. my picture:
previous owners picture:
the detached is below...
What an absolute dream! 💙
Your garage is probably as big as my 515sq ft apartment.

This is my nightmare.
But as I mentioned, it was supposed to be a short term fix.

Reactions: LavaLite

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
Don’t yell at me, but every time you post that photo of your garage this song comes to mind. 😎

Hopefully you are in a better neighborhood.
I won’t yell at anyone here.
But that’s really hilarious!
I worked with them a long time ago on a Fiesta Bowl and Irvine summer concert gig. Super cool guys.

I live in a great, yet over priced neighborhood/city, although most all are overpriced in CA.
Rent is outrageous, not much for home sales under $1M, most single family typical homes are about $1.8, hence why I need to get out of here to buy a garage for my Honda.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I won’t yell at anyone here.
But that’s really hilarious!
I worked with them a long time ago on a Fiesta Bowl and Irvine summer concert gig. Super cool guys.

I live in a great, yet over priced neighborhood/city, although most all are overpriced in CA.
Rent is outrageous, not much for home sales under $1M, most single family typical homes are about $1.8, hence why I need to get out of here to buy a garage for my Honda.
I know what you mean about over priced. Was in San Diego a few years ago walking in the Gaslamp district. Stopped in front of a Berkshire Hathaway realtors window looking at the offerings. Long story short, a realtor came out and we talked. Showed him photos of our 250-300k house in nowhere-ville Midwest and was advised there it would be a $5M+ house, not counting the land to put it on. Absolutely ridiculous. It’s a nice house, but that is just stupid crazy overpriced. A friend in Maryland says prices there are just as crazy as well.

I guess it’s kind of like Mark Twain said about where to go after dying. “Heaven for climate and #@!! for society. “

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is the attached garage. Previous owner actually had three cars in here. But I will only fit 2 due to the vehicles.

my picture:
View attachment 9527

previous owners picture:
View attachment 9528

the detached is below...

View attachment 9529
Love it. Reminds me of the semi detached garage we had with the old house. 25 X 45 but a single car opening. Would easily hold at least 9 vehicles except for the single door. Original owner built it for a shop. Even had its own furnace. Great place for my wood working shop, but a lousy garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I know what you mean about over priced. Was in San Diego a few years ago walking in the Gaslamp district. Stopped in front of a Berkshire Hathaway realtors window looking at the offerings. Long story short, a realtor came out and we talked. Showed him photos of our 250-300k house in nowhere-ville Midwest and was advised there it would be a $5M+ house, not counting the land to put it on. Absolutely ridiculous. It’s a nice house, but that is just stupid crazy overpriced. A friend in Maryland says prices there are just as crazy as well.

I guess it’s kind of like Mark Twain said about where to go after dying. “Heaven for climate and #@!! for society. “
Yep. It’s kind of nuts! Real Estate certainly has some markets it just makes so expensive.

And the fact that our weather is almost the only reason I’m still here is even more stupid.
Right now, it’s also that there is still no work for us and buying a home and moving is a huge risk.

I won’t even mention what kind of payroll taxes I have to pay.
Although, I just filed taxes for 2020, and that was the best news I’ve gotten in 371 days!

Reactions: HarveyW

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep. It’s kind of nuts! Real Estate certainly has some markets it just makes so expensive.

And the fact that our weather is almost the only reason I’m still here is even more stupid.
Right now, it’s also that there is still no work for us and buying a homemplete with cockroaches and moving is a huge risk.

I won’t even mention what kind of payroll taxes I have to pay.
Although, I just filed taxes for 2020, and that was the best news I’ve gotten in 371 days!
The weather in CA is great, and I love much of the various landscapes as well as the ocean, but I just can’t imagine buying a house as a regular person and never expect to actually own the thing. Our house is paid off.

I’ve got some friends in Manhattan NY. I can’t imagine the rent they pay for an apartment. $1200 - $1500, for an apartment the size of your garage. Complete with cockroaches. Seems like the closer you get to a coast the higher the cost of housing. It’s sad that regular folks can’t afford to live in such places.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Elite AWD & 2007 S2000 AP2
38 Posts
My 2020 PP Elite AWD is outside because my 2 car garage has my 2007 S-2000 and a mess of other junk in it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts