Honda Passport Forum banner

What's this button/switch do!? (Solved)

14K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  hcastaneda422 
#1 · (Edited)
** I think I solved it. There is a sticker on driver door next to the Honda sticker that says "Protected by SWDS KARR Security System" Google shows me images of switched with similar colored green buttons. I'm 99% confident this is the system they tried to sell me and I told them no to.**

I THINK It was added when we had the tow package done. I could be wrong.. The button/switch is located on the driver side, by the door, just above the hood latch and below the Traction control buttons. This image is from the floor looking up. It is kind of hidden away. I am going to get a multi meter out to test to see if it controls some power at the hitch but I am posting here first to hopefully same myself some time. What are your thoughts? What's it's purpose.

Thanks for the help,
Chad

See less See more
#3 ·
Doubt is would have anything to do with the hitch. I've downloaded all the installation manuals for the hitch, wiring harness, and kick sensor relocation and didn't see anything like this mentioned. Waiting for parts to be shipped.
LOL is looks like a tracking device.... not associated with Jason Bourne are you?

#5 · (Edited)
As you can see in the photo, it has 2 wires going in and when you push the button it makes a click feel/noise. I recall reading the wiring harness runs up to a box by the OBD sensor. I'm assuming this was installed at the Honda dealership when we had the hitch installed. We purchased the passport in August and I only noticed this tonight. When I got home it was dark out and I thought I seen a green LED light from that spot. The light flickered a yellow amber for a second as I shut the car off. I thought that was odd, turned the car back on and did not see a light. I reached my hand down there and felt a button.

Could it be car alarm related? The dealership tried to sell me on some special alarm system they said was installed. Because I didn't want it they said they would deactivate it. In the afternoon today my wife came home, was siting in the car on her phone too long and when she went to open the door set the alarm off.

I see three options here:

1. Call the dealer and ask what this is.
2. Set off the alarm. Go for a drive. See if I see an odd light from that area..
3. follow the wires and see what they plug into on the other end..

I'll update as I find out more.

Thanks for the help so far,
Chad

#8 ·
The car was new, like 5 miles on the test drive. I agree it does not look professional at all. In my defense i only put on a little over 2000 miles in the last 5 months. The button is hidden under where you cant see it, I had to feel it by dumb luck.

I just ran outside and set off the alarm, the button did nothing. I also hooked up the tow adapter to the power/socket and pushing the button did not stop the current. It could be that button just flashes the break but does nothing for the running lights?

Before I start pulling the car apart I will call the dealer tomorrow.

#11 ·
Same, here for the tow package install. This really bothered me. I wish I would have noticed this months ago, I would have asked them to clean this up better.

We purchased the a passport and a fit, both new, same day same dealer/salesperson. The fit did not have this button and the only time the passport was not in our possession was when we had the tow package installed.
It is out of site, I'll probably just leave it wired up.

-Chad

#13 ·
It was already installed. We negotiated a price and then when we sat down, the out the door price was about 3k more. They tried to add charges for door guards, the security package and a few other things we had not agreed on. They where not happy about it, but we where not going to buy the car for a penny more then we agreed on.

#14 ·
Glad to see you figured it out and glad see to hear you stuck to your guns on pricing. Does look like a shoddy install fortunately it's out of sight. ;)

#16 ·
I might take it to a 3rd party to have it checked out! Then be ready to hire an attorney to get a full refund and return the vehicle.

This would be 100% unacceptable in my book!

I'm sorry you are going through such a hassle, car dealers are generally terrible, one step away from organized crime in some cases, in others a bunch of incompetent stooges. I had many dealer issues when I got my PP, but it was because they were incompetent luckily.

My dealer forces the "clear bra" on, which they claim to immediately put on every car they have on the lot to protect it from rock chips during test drives. I sort of believe that, because rocks on the highways are the norm here. But, the dilemma is they charge $400 for it and I know I can probably get it for $200 but then I have to take it someplace else for 1/2 the day to get it done. So I keep it on.

#17 ·
When I was checking out dealers before I bought my PP I found several that had added items such as door guards, door lock cup shields, rear bumper appliques and so forth. Worse one was a Toyota dealer that wanted $300 for nitrogen in the tires!!! I just turned around and walked off the lot. I ended up buying the PP from a dealer that adds nothing in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.