Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
2019 Sport Silver
We are still talking about this? LOL, At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference, choice and the fact that it's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. I didn't need the passport, I wanted it. Timing was everything, made a deal, and couldn't be happier. Is it perfect? For me it is. Suits my needs, brings me joy, and brings quite a bit of compliments (* adds to an already inflated ego) 馃檮馃檪

Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
Some people can't justify buying any new car because new cars are too expensive. I've owned several used cars, and there was always something wrong with them - Sometimes seriously wrong. My Passport is my third new car. So far, none of the new cars I've owned have left me stranded, and that to me justifies paying more.

Registered
We are still talking about this? LOL, At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference, choice and the fact that it's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. I didn't need the passport, I wanted it. Timing was everything, made a deal, and couldn't be happier. Is it perfect? For me it is. Suits my needs, brings me joy, and brings quite a bit of compliments (* adds to an already inflated ego) 馃檮馃檪
Agreed. Personal preference is the key thing here. If it was only about reliability, we鈥檇 all be driving a boring Toyota. I鈥檓 the opposite though on the PP. I needed it.

Registered
I looked at many of the same vehicles before buying my Passport Touring a few months ago.

I was most recently in an Audi Q5 and that vehicle was uncomfortable to the point where it caused me pain to drive.

I drove and considered the RDX, Murano, Outback, XC60, CX-9 and Highlander.

I had previously owned several Hondas before my Q5 and had good luck with reliability. My Q5 was fine, but I was always wondering when there would be expensive problems.

I wanted a decent amount of space and the Passport, obviously, has a lot of that. But I also didn鈥檛 need a three-row, which eliminated the CX-9 and Highlander.

I didn鈥檛 love the Outback as finishes weren鈥檛 as nice and it felt like driving a car vs. a SUV.

I was worried about longer term ownership costs of the Volvo and didn鈥檛 feel like I needed to spend that much up front. It鈥檚 a heck of a vehicle, but I鈥檇 rather spend the money elsewhere.

The RDX was a serious contender for me, but I had concerns about the infotainment. It鈥檚 a bit awkward to use and the trackpad didn鈥檛 function as well while using Apple CarPlay. I felt like it would annoy me. And the stories about people losing power for no reason also scared me. And the 4-cylinder wasn鈥檛 totally what I wanted.

Ultimately for me, it was going to be a Passport or a Murano. I could have been happy with either as I think both are pretty solid vehicles. I liked the responsiveness of the adaptive cruise control more on the Murano, but it felt like the inside of the Murano is dated. And and opting for more storage space (and I love the under floor storage in the back) let me to pick the Passport.

I鈥檓 about 3200 miles in and am happy with the purchase.

Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I agree MSRP prices do have some 鈥渢rickery鈥 mixed in but that varies significantly by make.

I used the GC because I came within a breath of buying one just prior to the PP. Jeep does have a lot of rebates at any given time but no one qualifies for all them. That鈥檚 typically how they arrive at those big discounts (dealers have advertised this way for years). Anyhow, the best I could do on a GC had a payment slightly higher than the PP without leather or sunroof. A comprable Jeep is a few grand more than the Honda all day.

I leased my ExL FWD PP based off a buy price of $32k. I think that鈥檚 a about right for this vehicle.
Yeah I don't have as much of an issue with the starting MSRP on the PP. It's the price of the upper trim that I think is a head-scratcher. FWIW I've been doing a lot of reading, and MotorTrend, etc. also ding the value.
It's getting late here, so who's up for a bedtime story?

Once upon a time, a long time ago (the 60's & 70's) Japanese cars were trying to break into the American market, they cars were priced cheaper that the better built American cars, they were not as sturdy, as reliable and the smart people did not buy them...

Fast forward 50 years and the American cars are struggling for sales in the American market, Ford has stated they will quit making cars altogether, Plymouth, Pontiac, American Motors all ceased to exist. Chrysler has been bought and sold twice, first to a German automaker (Mercedes) then to Fiat (maker of one of he worst cars in the US) which they flowed down to their other brands (ie: Jeep). And it was not surprising that American (brand) cars were priced cheaper that the better built Japanese (brand) automakers, as they are unreliable, poorly designed and manufactured and the smart people did not buy them...

The moral of this story, buying ANY vehicle based on PRICE instead of RELIABILITY is not a smart thing to do, some people learn the hard way, some people learn that early in life and still others are doomed to repeat it again and again and again..

In fact this thread has inspired me to create a new thread that I invite any and all of you over to the Honda Passport Versus The Competition Forum to the Thread titled: "The Worst Vehicle(s) I have Ever Owned"

Cheers...
So the answer is that Honda is including a $6k "Reliability Package" on the PP? ;)

With Honda, the tradeoff has almost always been reliability over style (in terms of what you're paying for). You get a very plain vehicle that'll last 250k miles without much fuss. However, my complaint about the PP is that they priced it as if it does BOTH reliability and style.

Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I looked at many of the same vehicles before buying my Passport Touring a few months ago.

I was most recently in an Audi Q5 and that vehicle was uncomfortable to the point where it caused me pain to drive.

I drove and considered the RDX, Murano, Outback, XC60, CX-9 and Highlander.

I had previously owned several Hondas before my Q5 and had good luck with reliability. My Q5 was fine, but I was always wondering when there would be expensive problems.

I wanted a decent amount of space and the Passport, obviously, has a lot of that. But I also didn鈥檛 need a three-row, which eliminated the CX-9 and Highlander.

I didn鈥檛 love the Outback as finishes weren鈥檛 as nice and it felt like driving a car vs. a SUV.

I was worried about longer term ownership costs of the Volvo and didn鈥檛 feel like I needed to spend that much up front. It鈥檚 a heck of a vehicle, but I鈥檇 rather spend the money elsewhere.

The RDX was a serious contender for me, but I had concerns about the infotainment. It鈥檚 a bit awkward to use and the trackpad didn鈥檛 function as well while using Apple CarPlay. I felt like it would annoy me. And the stories about people losing power for no reason also scared me. And the 4-cylinder wasn鈥檛 totally what I wanted.

Ultimately for me, it was going to be a Passport or a Murano. I could have been happy with either as I think both are pretty solid vehicles. I liked the responsiveness of the adaptive cruise control more on the Murano, but it felt like the inside of the Murano is dated. And and opting for more storage space (and I love the under floor storage in the back) let me to pick the Passport.

I鈥檓 about 3200 miles in and am happy with the purchase.
Thanks for the perspective! Sounds like you're coming from about the same spot as me.

I don't really want 3 rows, I like the latest XC60 but am uneasy about long-term costs, and would like to consider the Murano but its as stale as jean shorts (and sounds like next-gen isn't until 2022). I'm less concerned about the quirks on the RDX because it sounds like most of those were first-year production issues and I'm not one to play much with the infotainment anyway. What bugs me most about the RDX is the awful MPG - a lot of owners are regularly get much worse than advertised, which is silly for a 4-turbo (might as well use the V6).

Registered
2020 Touring Lunar Silver
It came down to preferring a 6 cylinder with a regular automatic trans (not variable) for me. Plenty of power and smooth ride. Don't have to worry about racing the engine when going up inclines. It's not as powerful as my BMW 335i, but better than all mid size suv's we test drove.

Registered
After a lot of research and questions, I finally had a chance to test drive a PP and an RDX yesterday. Both seemed like fine cars, but my wife and I left scratching our heads. How in the world does a PP cost the same as a similarly equipped RDX? It's obvious where the $$ goes in the RDX, but not so much with the PP. This is a serious question, not a dig.

What exactly are you getting in exchange for worse interior materials, plain seats, no panoramic roof, more basic infotainment tech, a thin steering wheel, etc.? Is the PP's towing capacity really that expensive? Am I overlooking something else that adds a lot to the cost of the PP?

(P.S. While it might seem silly to cross-shop these two cars, the list of larger 2-row SUVs that have been upgraded recently is very short, so might as well test them all.)
Hi there we owned MDXs and an RD and now two 2019 PP. no regrets back seats are very spacious leg room and a great ride back roads in snow gravel etc

Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
Welcome and congrats...sounds reasonable, I have stayed away from VW's my entire life!

PS: Cool name too, I swear there has to be 7 or 8 "Steves" who own PP's...
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be back in a Honda.

Registered
Have you built a comparable Jeep Summit? $40K ish...How about a Ford Explorer? Limited, $48K
Nice 0% incentive, Ok looking, American made (for what it's worth), pick your poison.
I am brand loyal and have had nothing but top notch experiences w/ my Honda's, be it 2 or 4 wheel.
It suits my needs, feeds the soul, relaxes the mind, and has become uniquely mine. Good luck in your decision.
You hit it spot on...I feel the same way. Brand loyal and have had 2 Pilots, several Accords.Very reliable. Now driving a 2020 PP and hoping that they only get better. Enough said!

Registered
Exactly 馃槈馃

41 - 52 of 52 Posts