Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Clentsch, cool update, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase..!

·
Registered
55 Posts
After a lot of research and questions, I finally had a chance to test drive a PP and an RDX yesterday. Both seemed like fine cars, but my wife and I left scratching our heads. How in the world does a PP cost the same as a similarly equipped RDX? It's obvious where the $$ goes in the RDX, but not so much with the PP. This is a serious question, not a dig.

What exactly are you getting in exchange for worse interior materials, plain seats, no panoramic roof, more basic infotainment tech, a thin steering wheel, etc.? Is the PP's towing capacity really that expensive? Am I overlooking something else that adds a lot to the cost of the PP?

(P.S. While it might seem silly to cross-shop these two cars, the list of larger 2-row SUVs that have been upgraded recently is very short, so might as well test them all.)
I looked at an RDX before buying the PP. The RDX base model were hard to find, I couldn’t find one around, and the ones available were like $10 K more. The base equipment on the RDX is not the same as the PP. Also, the RDX is a smaller SUV.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Isn’t the PP a much bigger vehicle than the RDX? I thought the RDX was comparable to the CRV size wise? That is likely a lot of it just in the sheer size difference. PP money in girth where the RDX is much smaller with the money going into the driving experience and interior. Two totally different vehicles in my opinion.

And most all vehicles have gone up in price the past few years quite substantially. The only other vehicle I really considered was the Grand Cherokee. It was like 5-6k more than what I got the PP for with similar options. I didn’t see the money there either, but it’s a Jeep and they sell the crap out of them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good question. Here's my dilemma:

I'll be the only one in the car 90% of the time and enjoy cars with some driving spirit. However, the car also needs to be comfortable enough to use on 15-hour road trips to my hometown 3-4 times a year with wife and a toddler or two. So this leaves me looking for the biggest + sportiest 2-row SUV. Slim pickings. Really wish Mazda had something in this space, or that Honda added a plush trim to the PP (ala Jeep Summit).
I honestly think a Used Subaru Forester from 2018 (Previous Gen) might fit the bill. Its small enough to be sporty coupled with a turbocharged engine... and big enough to fit a growing family. And plush enough that Subaru did the worst thing imaginable and put a CVT in the thing lol. But nonetheless, its a great CUV. My sister has one in the top XT Trim, and its really nice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very impressive video on the manufacting of the Honda Odyssey. The robotics are amazing! I think what makes the Honda Passport worth the high price is the features that Honda offers. I test rode a Chevy Blazer RS, Nissan Murano Platinum, Volkswagen Atlas Sport, Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate, Ford Edge SE Titanium. Some were more expensive and some less expensive but for the Honda 6 cylinder and all the options on a Passport Elite,, it was well work buying this vehicle. I am extremely happy with my purchase and never question my choice of the Passport over the other vehicles I test rode.

·
3,110 Posts
I'll sort of echo on what 19BCPDave said above, we bought our daughter a new generation 2019 Subaru Forrester for right about $27k, sure it has a 4-cyl (non-turbo) and a CVT, but we have driven her back and forth to Colorado (4 total trips) at 1,400 miles each and it ran great, was a smooth ride, has plenty of features (depending on the model) and gets awesome mileage. A comparable REV4 or CRV would be a couple of thousand more!!

Reactions: 19BCPDave

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
429 Posts
The only other vehicle I really considered was the Grand Cherokee. It was like 5-6k more than what I got the PP for with similar options. I didn’t see the money there either, but it’s a Jeep and they sell the crap out of them.
Have you every seen a Grand Cherokee after a couple / three years? They have the crap beat out of them by then. A buddy I work with bought one about the same time I purchased my PP and I can tell you they are not built for the long haul.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really like my PP. But my niece and nephew, both in their late 20s, have Grand Cherokees and they have proven to be really great vehicles for them. Granted neither goes off road with them and both are good about keeping them up.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you every seen a Grand Cherokee after a couple / three years? They have the crap beat out of them by then. A buddy I work with bought one about the same time I purchased my PP and I can tell you they are not built for the long haul.
I was saying like the original poster, I don’t see where the money is in the Jeep Cherokee. Paying for the Jeep name I guess.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
429 Posts
I was saying like the original poster, I don’t see where the money is in the Jeep Cherokee. Paying for the Jeep name I guess.
Agree with you and the OP, Jeep Cherokee's are not cheep in price and can't really justify it. As you know their everywhere you look in Charlotte.
Kinda funny the way you wrote Jeep reminded me of the old acronym JEEP = Just Enough Engine Power

Reactions: GeoBella

·
Registered
2020 passport elite
46 Posts
I think the one thing everyone overlooks with Honda is the resale value. I used to be a salesman and that’s a big thing to remember. Honda doesn’t do incentives and all that stuff. So yea you pay 40k for a PP elite today but tomorrow it’s worth maybe 38k while most other vehicles you buy for 40k but it’s work like 30k cause they take into account the lowest that vehicle could have sold with incentives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a lot of research and questions, I finally had a chance to test drive a PP and an RDX yesterday. Both seemed like fine cars, but my wife and I left scratching our heads. How in the world does a PP cost the same as a similarly equipped RDX? It's obvious where the $$ goes in the RDX, but not so much with the PP. This is a serious question, not a dig.

What exactly are you getting in exchange for worse interior materials, plain seats, no panoramic roof, more basic infotainment tech, a thin steering wheel, etc.? Is the PP's towing capacity really that expensive? Am I overlooking something else that adds a lot to the cost of the PP?

(P.S. While it might seem silly to cross-shop these two cars, the list of larger 2-row SUVs that have been upgraded recently is very short, so might as well test them all.)
There is something to be said for respectable off-road ability. Locking differentials and so forth add to the price. The PP is really more of a combo vehicle. You wouldn’t consider taking a RDX to places you can take an awd PP. To me an Elite is more comparable to a mid to upper level Grand Cherokee (say a Limited or Overland), but you get a sub 6 sec 60, which you can’t get in a Jeep without moving to the V8. PP seems to fill a niche of luxury, space, off road ability and on-road performance. RDX, comparatively, is strictly elegance.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
68 Posts
I just traded in a 2018 VW Tiguan, it was not reliable and I had to make a lot of unscheduled stops. I just got a 2020 Passport Touring and I love it. I had 2 BMW‘S that I bought new and I wasn’t impressed with them. They are so overpriced and a joke to maintain. I wanted a suv with a 6 cylinder and no turbo’s. I had a few turbos over the years and I’m tired of the issues and problems. I also had a 2009 and 2015 pilot. This Passport is by far the best vehicle I’ve purchased in a long time. It’s comfortable and quiet with plenty of power.
I looked at the RDX but it just didn’t stack up against the Passport.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Touring
54 Posts
Ever notice how really old cars on the road are usually Honda or Toyota? Yeah, Jeep's look cool, but they are trash in the long run. Everything DaimlerChrysler makes is garbage under the hood.

·
3,110 Posts
I just traded in a 2018 VW Tiguan, it was not reliable and I had to make a lot of unscheduled stops. I just got a 2020 Passport Touring and I love it. I had 2 BMW‘S that I bought new and I wasn’t impressed with them. They are so overpriced and a joke to maintain. I wanted a suv with a 6 cylinder and no turbo’s. I had a few turbos over the years and I’m tired of the issues and problems. I also had a 2009 and 2015 pilot. This Passport is by far the best vehicle I’ve purchased in a long time. It’s comfortable and quiet with plenty of power.
I looked at the RDX but it just didn’t stack up against the Passport.
Welcome and congrats...sounds reasonable, I have stayed away from VW's my entire life!

PS: Cool name too, I swear there has to be 7 or 8 "Steves" who own PP's...

·
Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I honestly think a Used Subaru Forester from 2018 (Previous Gen) might fit the bill. Its small enough to be sporty coupled with a turbocharged engine... and big enough to fit a growing family. And plush enough that Subaru did the worst thing imaginable and put a CVT in the thing lol. But nonetheless, its a great CUV. My sister has one in the top XT Trim, and its really nice.
Yeah I hear good things about Subaru, but the styling isn't for me.

·
Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Isn’t the PP a much bigger vehicle than the RDX? I thought the RDX was comparable to the CRV size wise? That is likely a lot of it just in the sheer size difference. PP money in girth where the RDX is much smaller with the money going into the driving experience and interior. Two totally different vehicles in my opinion.

And most all vehicles have gone up in price the past few years quite substantially. The only other vehicle I really considered was the Grand Cherokee. It was like 5-6k more than what I got the PP for with similar options. I didn’t see the money there either, but it’s a Jeep and they sell the crap out of them.
For sure the PP is much larger, but it's a bit of an outlier. I'm considering all large 2-rows and the RDX, believe it or not, is on the large end of the spectrum.

Agree that prices have gone up substantially; however, MSRPs are full of marketing trickery and not a great way to compare value. Jeep is known for marking up the MSRP and then luring customers with substantial discounts. As an example, here's a 2020 JGC Limited that is a close match to the PP Elite, but dealer is only asking $34k (>$10k discount):

I'm not a Jeep fan, but it does seem like an apt comparison to the PP. Both are built on older platforms/engines/transmissions. Both are essentially a light truck. But the JGC is definitely a more serene ride with plush seats and outstanding sound insulation. Like I said earlier in this thread, $38k for a PP Elite seems more in line with the competition - that's still a premium over a Jeep product, but below the $40k class that has fringe luxury options (at negotiated prices).

·
Registered
2017 BMW X1 (for now)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just bought my EX-L version with the Adventure A package, trailer hitch, wireless charger 100K extended warranty (including all oil changes and tire rotations). All in, the drive off the lot price was $39,500. An Acura RDX would have close to $55K simmerly equipt.
I have owned Audis, Benzes, a Volvo, a SAAB, an Acura, a collection of POS Fords, a Touareg (That one didn't nickel and dime me to death, it $1000 and $2000'ed me to death) Every vehicle except the Volvo had high maintenance costs.

Then between my wife and I, there are those 9 Hondas and one Subaru Outback we've owned over the years (not including the Honda snowblower, lawn mower and power washer). I can count on one hand the collection of Honda's have had a issue that was not age and wear and tear related. My wife's 2004 Odyssey is still humming along (with college daughter driving it) at 220,000 miles. My used Accord, bought with 30k miles went 160k before Middle Child was rear-ended and the car was totaled. (130k teenager miles is the equivalent wear and tear of a million miles). My Eldest Child drove my Element for years, finally selling it with 185k miles on it. (she got rid of it because her great dane and yellow lab were very hard on the interior)

Functional and inexpensive to own, for me, trumps gee whiz features and seem to break often.
To be clear, I'm not looking for a lot of gee-whiz features, especially those that are exclusive to luxury brands. I do, however, have a soft spot for aesthetics and NVH comfort.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For sure the PP is much larger, but it's a bit of an outlier. I'm considering all large 2-rows and the RDX, believe it or not, is on the large end of the spectrum.

Agree that prices have gone up substantially; however, MSRPs are full of marketing trickery and not a great way to compare value. Jeep is known for marking up the MSRP and then luring customers with substantial discounts. As an example, here's a 2020 JGC Limited that is a close match to the PP Elite, but dealer is only asking $34k (>$10k discount):

I'm not a Jeep fan, but it does seem like an apt comparison to the PP. Both are built on older platforms/engines/transmissions. Both are essentially a light truck. But the JGC is definitely a more serene ride with plush seats and outstanding sound insulation. Like I said earlier in this thread, $38k for a PP Elite seems more in line with the competition - that's still a premium over a Jeep product, but below the $40k class that has fringe luxury options (at negotiated prices).
I agree MSRP prices do have some “trickery” mixed in but that varies significantly by make.

I used the GC because I came within a breath of buying one just prior to the PP. Jeep does have a lot of rebates at any given time but no one qualifies for all them. That’s typically how they arrive at those big discounts (dealers have advertised this way for years). Anyhow, the best I could do on a GC had a payment slightly higher than the PP without leather or sunroof. A comprable Jeep is a few grand more than the Honda all day.

I leased my ExL FWD PP based off a buy price of $32k. I think that’s a about right for this vehicle.

·
3,110 Posts
It's getting late here, so who's up for a bedtime story?

Once upon a time, a long time ago (the 60's & 70's) Japanese cars were trying to break into the American market, they cars were priced cheaper that the better built American cars, they were not as sturdy, as reliable and the smart people did not buy them...

Fast forward 50 years and the American cars are struggling for sales in the American market, Ford has stated they will quit making cars altogether, Plymouth, Pontiac, American Motors all ceased to exist. Chrysler has been bought and sold twice, first to a German automaker (Mercedes) then to Fiat (maker of one of he worst cars in the US) which they flowed down to their other brands (ie: Jeep). And it was not surprising that American (brand) cars were priced cheaper that the better built Japanese (brand) automakers, as they are unreliable, poorly designed and manufactured and the smart people did not buy them...

The moral of this story, buying ANY vehicle based on PRICE instead of RELIABILITY is not a smart thing to do, some people learn the hard way, some people learn that early in life and still others are doomed to repeat it again and again and again..

In fact this thread has inspired me to create a new thread that I invite any and all of you over to the Honda Passport Versus The Competition Forum to the Thread titled: "The Worst Vehicle(s) I have Ever Owned"

Cheers...

Reactions: 19BCPDave
21 - 40 of 52 Posts