Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I'm with wascal, huh, huh, huh silly wabbit...!

MY GUESS IS: that since Honda piggybacked tons of Pilot parts in the Passport, it will NOT be up for a major change until the year after the next Pilot refresh!

As for 2021 changes, maybe we will finally get some off-road wheels as an option, and retire a couple of the least favorite current colors and add 1 new color. Nothing major, nothing that would make one sit up and beg for buttermilk. (Ok who can tell me the movie that is from?)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Look at the sales numbers, for 2019.
Look at the Honda factories that are closed, DELETED _BY MOD
Honda will hold steady, make very minor changes in 2022, such as chrome door handles and mirror covers, and look at those sales numbers.Then they'll discontinue the Passport after 2025, as they did with the Crosstour.

Go to Edmunds dot com and research the year to year features of the Honda Crosstour and the Acura ZDX.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts
Look at the sales numbers, for 2019.
Look at the Honda factories that are closed, DELETED BY MOD
Honda will hold steady, make very minor changes in 2022, such as chrome door handles and mirror covers, and look at those sales numbers.Then they'll discontinue the Passport after 2025, as they did with the Crosstour.

Go to Edmunds dot com and research the year to year features of the Honda Crosstour and the Acura ZDX.
Take into consideration that over the life of the Crosstour Honda only sold on average only 18,000 units per year and the fact that the Passport sold over 30,000 units in the first year here in the U.S. I wouldn't cross it off so quickly. The first two months sales of Passport actually show a slight increase for the Passport.

First year vehicle sales are usually slow. The first year for the Chevrolet Corvette, GM only sold 300 units. It certainly has not gone away. As for the Corona virus all car sales are going to be down. Time will tell, but it is far to early to guess what is going to happen tot he Passport at this point. Besides, our neighbors to the north really must love the thing as Sales of the Passport in Canada are up over 6000% over this time last year.

·
Registered
2019 Touring, White Diamond Pearl
23 Posts
First year vehicle sales are usually slow. The first year for the Chevrolet Corvette, GM only sold 300 units. It certainly has not gone away.
Hm-mm . . . how about comparison to first year sales of vehicles similar to Honda Passport:
1984 Jeep Cherokee --- 93,326 sold
1990 Ford Explorer --- 140,509 sold
1994 Honda Passport --- 25,758 sold
1997 Honda CR-V --- 66,752 sold
2002 Honda Pilot --- 52,062 sold

Agree with mtgriff, Black Edition is likely to be available sooner than later.
And stevenD wrote: "since Honda piggybacked tons of Pilot parts in the Passport", Honda could easily offer items 2-6 in my previous post (at very minimum cost or change to current production line), but still hoping for Panoramic sunroof 🤞🤞

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a “Black Edition” Passport.
Buy a black Passport and you almost have a "Black Edition" Passport, except for the the few extra features on the Elite models and the red stitching on the seats.
My brother had a Black Edition Ridgeline and now he has a Black Edition Pilot. With those models the Black Edition deletes all chrome trim except for the badges. With our Passports, there is no chrome trim except for the badges.
The Black Edition was added to the Pilot lineup this year (2020), so it's very possible it will be added to the Passport models as well. With the Pilot, it's an additional $1500 above the Elite.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hm-mm . . . how about comparison to first year sales of vehicles similar to Honda Passport:

Agree with mtgriff, Black Edition is likely to be available sooner than later.
And stevenD wrote: "since Honda piggybacked tons of Pilot parts in the Passport", Honda could easily offer items 2-6 in my previous post (at very minimum cost or change to current production line), but still hoping for Panoramic sunroof 🤞🤞
The similarity in first year vehicles is that they are first year vehicles. Doesn't matter if they are coupes, sedans, 2dr, 4dr, CUV's, SUV's, Trucks, or even motorcycles. It's not about comparing SUV's, It's what the numbers for any vehicle does over a period of time. Hence the reference to the Corvette. Supper low first year sale rate that anyone can see meant nothing in the long run as the vehicle is still being produced 60 + years later.

It is far to early to tell if the Passport survives or not and far to early for Debbie Downer Predictions. This year, with all that has happened, is a wash for every car manufacturer. Sales figures are going to be skewed down. What will matter is the near future. If sales number continue to climb the next two or three years the Passport continues to be produced. If the numbers continue to drop, such as they did with the Crosstour, then it is gone.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I'm not fully convinced comparing any of these first year releases to the Passport release is applicable. The main reason is the huge amount of parts used in the Passport that are also used in the Pilot. With the engine, transmission, the entire dash electronics, the seats, windshield and countless other body parts, mean that Honda is able to increase the total numbers of these parts that are procured from subcontractors which REDUCES their purchase price, which in turn helps increase Pilot profits. Also with them being built in the same plant, it helps with logistics issues and training!

So even if sales of the Passport remain low, with the low investment Honda has in continuing production, could equate to a nice long run.

And personally, I like driving a vehicle that is not seen everywhere, I see less than one Passport a month in my limited travels...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've not yet ID'd another Passport on the road (but in fairness passing one at 55 mph they all look alike - so I may have missed one or two).
For those who don't know ... they're manufactured in Sweet Home Alabama (about 3 hours north of me).

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
85 Posts
I’ve seen a few, not many. I was right next to a white Elite like mine on the highway a few weeks ago. That made me smile.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can see a minor refresh typical of Honda like minor front & rear massages, a button or two for the radio, maybe some wheels.

I personally don’t see any significant increase in sales ahead for the PP. I think families go for the pilot and unless you need the towing capacity or cargo space of the PP, there’s much more fuel efficient options out there (CR-V). But, I‘ve grown to love my PP. Not the way I love small fun to drive compacts, but it’s a very nice vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
85 Posts
An owner of an older Pilot at work was asking me about my Passport. He was interested because he says he no longer needs the third row of seats. He was impressed with the cargo room.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Maybe some LED turn signals? 🤷‍♂️

After all, the Passport's little brother (the CRV) has them and it costs much less than the PP.
Yeah, I'm surprised and disappointed to see the old incandescent bulbs for turn signals, along with the absence of LED lighting in the interior.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Just what is this fascination with LED lighting? In cars there is enough battery power to keep them lite.
Now in 12V battery powered campers I understand.
I recently updated by interior lights to LEDs and the difference is AWESOME! The lights are a white light instead of a yellowish light, it is also brighter, the cost was like $12 bucks.. For anyone who does not understand why anyone would want to upgrade or does not want to spend the money or thinks its not for them, I fully understand, and there is no reason to insult anyone or cause unrest in here, simply read it and move on... THANK YOU

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
"The lights are a white light instead of a yellowish light, it is also brighter"

I have nothing against LEDs, but their greatest advantage is in their power saving capability - unless you're trying to read (or put on make-up) the color is no big deal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised and disappointed to see the old incandescent bulbs for turn signals, along with the absence of LED lighting in the interior.
One reason may be that for turn signals new vehicles no longer have flasher modules like the older vehicles. All vehicles have a built in warning system for a burnt out bulb where in the flashers go into a hyper flash mode due to less energy going to the turn signal when activated. Some even have a dash panel indicator.

In older vehicles you can put in a new turn signal module built for led bulbs and all is good. For newer vehicles, since the led's will draw less power, you have to put an inline resister to each led turn signal bulb so the vehicle does not sense the power draw drop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
One reason may be that for turn signals new vehicles no longer have flasher modules like the older vehicles. All vehicles have a built in warning system for a burnt out bulb where in the flashers go into a hyper flash mode due to less energy going to the turn signal when activated. Some even have a dash panel indicator.

In older vehicles you can put in a new turn signal module built for led bulbs and all is good. For newer vehicles, since the led's will draw less power, you have to put an inline resister to each led turn signal bulb so the vehicle does not sense the power draw drop.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea car manufacturers were no longer using flasher modules or 'flashers' as we called them back then. That explains why I haven't had to change one in many years. :giggle:

·
Registered
441 Posts

A number of newer vehicles have LED turn signals, including the Passport's little brother the CR-V, so there is no technical reason for the lack of LED turn signals. Also it's not a matter of less power drain on the electrical system. LED lights are brighter and more eye-catching than incandescents so in my opinion add a safety factor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A number of newer vehicles have LED turn signals, including the Passport's little brother the CR-V, so there is no technical reason for the lack of LED turn signals. Also it's not a matter of less power drain on the electrical system. LED lights are brighter and more eye-catching than incandescents so in my opinion add a safety factor.
Yes they are but they are designed for the led bulb and are programmed for the lower power requirement. If you want hyper flashing turn signals the just drop in led‘s Into your current Passport. If you want them to operate properly then you stick with incandescents or put an in line resistor for each led.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts