Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last honda was an Accord, and I am currently looking at my new upgrade. The passport is high on my list, but I wonder about the 2020 vs the mid-cycle revision in 2021. I'm not familiar with how conservative/aggressive Honda is with their changes, so wondering if anyone has any better ideas what might be most likely that we'll see changed/added for MY2021? And when it might be available? I realize we're only in February :)

One thing holding me back a bunch right now is the 20" tires - they aren't "adventure ready", and replacing wheels and tires right from the get-go is an expensive bit to stomach. Like Toyota has their "TRD" trim, it'd be nice to see Honda actually add a truly adventure-ready trim...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't believe you'll see any significant change in the 2021 model. None, zilch.
When ready to purchase your Passport let the dealer know you wish a wheel/tire change; they'll be happy to do it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't believe you'll see any significant change in the 2021 model. None, zilch.
When ready to purchase your Passport let the dealer know you wish a wheel/tire change; they'll be happy to do it.
What type of wheel/tire change? Completely different size wheel/tire? Happy to do it at what price?

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
My last honda was an Accord, and I am currently looking at my new upgrade. The passport is high on my list, but I wonder about the 2020 vs the mid-cycle revision in 2021. I'm not familiar with how conservative/aggressive Honda is with their changes, so wondering if anyone has any better ideas what might be most likely that we'll see changed/added for MY2021? And when it might be available? I realize we're only in February :)

One thing holding me back a bunch right now is the 20" tires - they aren't "adventure ready", and replacing wheels and tires right from the get-go is an expensive bit to stomach. Like Toyota has their "TRD" trim, it'd be nice to see Honda actually add a truly adventure-ready trim...
It seems like you are planning ahead, I did that too, I started planning my next vehicle purchase in late 2017, waited, watched and learned, all through 2018, then finally bought in the first week of March (2019)!

It seems you are also up against the same issues I was, which are: the Auto manufacturers are typically tight lipped about the new models, because they DO NOT want people to wait, they want you to spend your money NOW!

The fact is, no one here knows what Honda is going to do with the 2021 models (including Passport), and even if Honda did/does, they ain't gonna tell ya!

In the meantime, you can keep waiting, do various test drives of everything out there, read all the reviews and comparisons, checkout YouTube vid's and generally try to gather as much info as you can.

For myself, there is no way, I would not scratch PP off my list, simply because of the extra cost of tires & wheels. Tires and wheel are a lot easier to swap out than an "engine" if you were looking at 4cyl SUV's!

·
Registered
111 Posts

Okay, one question for you. How much "adventure" off road driving are you currently doing with the Accord right now?

As a photographer I see this a lot on some of the photography forums. "Looking to buy a camera but what charges will there be to next years model? Should I wait?"

Every year there is something new. Some good, some great, some bad, and some rotten changes. What isn't happening however is your not out there driving where you want, just as the hesitant photographer is not out there taking photos.

You can spend your life waiting and wondering or you can be doing. One thing guaranteed if you wait for the 2021, the 2022 will have something different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? My understanding from (what little) I heard was that there was no change between 2019-2020, but there would be a mid-cycle refresh in MY2021...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like you are planning ahead, I did that too, I started planning my next vehicle purchase in late 2017, waited, watched and learned, all through 2018, then finally bought in the first week of March (2019)!

It seems you are also up against the same issues I was, which are: the Auto manufacturers are typically tight lipped about the new models, because they DO NOT want people to wait, they want you to spend your money NOW!

The fact is, no one here knows what Honda is going to do with the 2021 models (including Passport), and even if Honda did/does, they ain't gonna tell ya!

In the meantime, you can keep waiting, do various test drives of everything out there, read all the reviews and comparisons, checkout YouTube vid's and generally try to gather as much info as you can.

For myself, there is no way, I would not scratch PP off my list, simply because of the extra cost of tires & wheels. Tires and wheel are a lot easier to swap out than an "engine" is you are looking at 4cyl SUV's!
Yeah for sure - from a capability standpoint, the 4runner checks all the boxes. It can take me that final 5-10% of difficult driving. Problem is the other 90% is less than ideal driving, and efficiency.

I actually thought auto mfrs DID show some previews/info at these various car shows, though. i.e. we already know the rav4 prime is coming out next year (available later this year?) so why would anyone buy their hybrid now?

Is there somewhere/some way I could find out what size/type of tires+wheels would fit on the passport? I am far from an expert, but my understanding is the 20" size is giving such a smaller tire thickness resulting in less comfortable ride and increased risk of punctures/etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I am far from an expert, but my understanding is the 20" size is giving such a smaller tire thickness resulting in less comfortable ride and increased risk of punctures/etc.
Actually the 20" tires/Rims are VERY smooth, very comfortable ride, the tires are the same thickness as any other tire, so there is no greater risk of puncture, the problem is if you plan to drive it off road or in winter conditions, and then the stock tires and rims are NOT the best.

Go ahead and read the threads about what people here have been doing, LOTS of people here have successfully swapped out to small Wheel sizes with no problems...!

Is there somewhere/some way I could find out what size/type of tires+wheels would fit on the passport?
Sure, you can go to Tirerack.com and type in 2019 Passport and then look at 17" and 18" tires and Rims that will fit!

·
Registered
730 Posts
"Really? My understanding from (what little) I heard was that there was no change between 2019-2020, but there would be a mid-cycle refresh in MY2021... "

I've owned a Honda or three (simultaneously) since the late 80s. Observed history of Honda is that when a new model comes out they do nothing to it during its first 3 years. In the forth year they'll make necessary changes and in its 5th year they'll offer it in a Special Edition (consisting of a few do-dads and additional paint schemes). Then, after 5 manufacturing years they'll introduce a new model. I expect the pattern will continue.

Now to be fair this is only speculation; if sales remain low they may even decide to simply cancel the PP - much like they did with the Element, Crosstour, S2000 and the original Passport, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Passport only sold 30,000 units in 2019, compared to 160,000 Pilots, so Honda is not going to throw good engineering after bad. Not that the Passport is poorly engineered, but it's all about sales numbers.

If there will be any change it will be to get rid of the ZF 9 speed tranny and offer the 10 speed. The 10 speed is available on the higher trim Odyssey and I think on some Accord, so it's possible.

If you want more overlanding info there's a youtube guy called JonDz Adventuring...

Passport set up and used over land

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Friendly FYI for Wrascal, if you want to quote someone, click on "REPLY" at the bottom of their post, it's wierd you just copying and re-posting without saying you are quoting people...:cool:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Friendly FYI for Wrascal, if you want to quote someone, click on "REPLY" at the bottom of their post, it's wierd you just copying and re-posting without saying you are quoting people...:cool:

My BAD, I've been clicking on the quote button, and it wasn't doing it for me. This time I tried your option.
For your correcting efforts I award you six solar-plex credits!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great! Can you (will you) help with my mastercard payment?
I can and will, please give me your full name on the card the full MasterCard number, expiration date and security code. If you do I will include free of charge a bridge in Brooklyn. Just pay a separate handling and processing fee. :LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts