Honda Passport Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
35 Posts
Just curious if you bought the Subie new and what kind of problems you had. The Forester was one of the cars on my radar that year but I went with the CRV.
It was a 2016 Forester 2.0XT Touring that I bought new in August 2015 - top of the line model (the Forester no longer has a turbo option). Great performance but problem after problem: multiple air conditioner repairs, premature wheel bearing failures, electronic gremlins, power window problems, transmission felt like it was going to die but I think the CVT was just plain weird, it was always in the shop for something - and numerous bad design decisions by Subaru with some of the electronics and how even the door locks work - just terrible overall.

The last straw was a persistent check engine light and poor idle which turned out to be carbon buildup on the intake valves. Despite an extended warranty it was not covered by Subaru's warranty but they did pay for the $2,000+ repair as a goodwill gesture since I only had about 59k miles on the car! Once I got the car back working and had no problems for a few weeks, I traded it in with a clear conscience on the Passport. I was done!

I will say the Subaru EyeSight system worked pretty well though versus Honda's Sensing junk.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was a 2016 Forester 2.0XT Touring that I bought new in August 2015 - top of the line model (the Forester no longer has a turbo option). Great performance but problem after problem: multiple air conditioner repairs, premature wheel bearing failures, electronic gremlins, power window problems, transmission felt like it was going to die but I think the CVT was just plain weird, it was always in the shop for something - and numerous bad design decisions by Subaru with some of the electronics and how even the door locks work - just terrible overall.

The last straw was a persistent check engine light and poor idle which turned out to be carbon buildup on the intake valves. Despite an extended warranty it was not covered by Subaru's warranty but they did pay for the $2,000+ repair as a goodwill gesture since I only had about 59k miles on the car! Once I got the car back working and had no problems for a few weeks, I traded it in with a clear conscience on the Passport. I was done!

I will say the Subaru EyeSight system worked pretty well though versus Honda's Sensing junk.
Wow., that's quite a laundry list of problems! Good thing you got out of that bucket of bolts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I thought about a Subaru Forester or Outback but decided against after researching the pros and cons of CVT tranmissions. It seems that Subaru has an image of a good trouble-free vehicle. At least that was my perception before looking into them more closely. Glad I bought a Passport.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
35 Posts
I thought about a Subaru Forester or Outback but decided against after researching the pros and cons of CVT tranmissions. It seems that Subaru has an image of a good trouble-free vehicle. At least that was my perception before looking into them more closely. Glad I bought a Passport.
The image does not live up to reality. I was given a 2021 Ascent as a loaner while my Forester was being worked on, a big 3-row SUV, like a Pilot. Very comfortable, the infotainment system I preferred over the Honda and EyeSight worked pretty well as expected. But the engine/transmission choice, again, it's just totally lacking. The CVT felt strange even with the turbo in the Ascent. It was light years ahead of the Forester though. But there were still places that felt unrefined. It's almost like Subaru engineers don't drive any other makes to compare!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently taking delivery on the EX-L AWD, super excited! I sold my 2015 GTI just a few months before the pandemic began cause I've been working as an expat overseas. GTI was already paid off so I got a decent chunk out of it. This will be my first SUV, and still glad Honda is offering NA motors, let alone a J series. Only other "Honda" I've owned was my 2004 Acura TSX.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L
48 Posts
Currently taking delivery on the EX-L AWD, super excited! I sold my 2015 GTI just a few months before the pandemic began cause I've been working as an expat overseas. GTI was already paid off so I got a decent chunk out of it. This will be my first SUV, and still glad Honda is offering NA motors, let alone a J series. Only other "Honda" I've owned was my 2004 Acura TSX.
Another GTI trade here. Mine was a 2019 and we traded it since I have driven it much since the pandemic hit. I used to drive over 30K kilometers a year, but have no plans to go back to anywhere near that. The GTI had pretty much sat in the garage for the past year, so we figured we’d take advantage of the strong used car market and upgrade our family car. The wife got the Passport and I took over our older family hauler a 2011 CRV.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Touring MSM
36 Posts
Traded in a 2016 HRV. It was the first car I bought new right out of college. It was a good car for what it was, but for me personally is was to small and underpowered- I knew it was when I bought it. But at the time it was what I could afford. Got about 68k miles out of it with only routine maintenance and one caliper that hung up around 34k miles. Decided to trade it in when the cvts were starting to disintegrate on long highway drives. A tsb was released for it about a month after I traded in to mitigate that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Traded in nothing. A pregnant deer decided to play "Can I beat the traffic across the road?" with my 2012 RAV4 Limited. No winners in the game. I was happy with my V6 RAV4 and full size spare on the back and no bank payments. Have to move forward with life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Traded a 2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid with 12K miles for a 2021 Passport Elite. So glad I made the change... and the CR-V was a very nice car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Traded in my 2018 WRX and 2011 Santa Fe.
Living in Colorado the WRX is too low to drive in winter and the Santa Fe was having issues being over 130k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought a used blue 2019 Sport model in May, 2020 (15,000 miles). Checked what the sell value of the car was in August this year (26,000 miles). Wow! Could get several thousand more for the car than I paid for it. Decided I wanted a new white pearl 2021 Sport (I actually prefer the Sport). Found one at a local dealer and after a few hours playing the buying game with the sales team I traded the 2019 in (saved the 5% sales tax on the trade in amount- matched the online sales offer-paid my required price difference) and drove the white pearl 2021 home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The trade in amount reduced the final sale amount owed to the dealership. 5% sales tax is only applied to the final $ amount owed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was going to trade my 2016 GTI but ended up selling it to Carvana for MUCH more than I could have gotten on a trade and it was such an extremely easy transaction.
I do miss the GTI though. So much fun to drive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to trade my 2016 GTI but ended up selling it to Carvana for MUCH more than I could have gotten on a trade and it was such an extremely easy transaction.
I do miss the GTI though. So much fun to drive.
Just make sure the extra money you get is covering or more than the taxes you gonna be paying. I could have gotten $2000 more for my WRX if I were to sell it separately but at 8% sales tax, I will end up paying more than $2000 for the amount I got it for so I ended up trading it in.
Saved me money and hassle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just make sure the extra money you get is covering or more than the taxes you gonna be paying. I could have gotten $2000 more for my WRX if I were to sell it separately but at 8% sales tax, I will end up paying more than $2000 for the amount I got it for so I ended up trading it in.
Saved me money and hassle.
Good point but in my case I had to pay roughly an extra $1300 in tax vs getting $4500 more for the car thru Carvana.

181 - 200 of 212 Posts