Honda Passport Forum banner
1201 - 1219 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
For sure, it definitely changed the handling of the car.
I love those rims. In what way would you say it has changed the handling? As in, less responsive? I currently like the handling on the passport for what it is on the 20"s as I tend to take some spirited corners every now and then.

·
Registered
2019 Passport EX-L
16 Posts
I love those rims. In what way would you say it has changed the handling? As in, less responsive? I currently like the handling on the passport for what it is on the 20"s as I tend to take some spirited corners every now and then.
It’s probably the flexing of the taller tires but the steering seems more twitchy at higher speeds while making more abrupt lane changes. It could probably benefit from a less responsive steering lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It’s probably the flexing of the taller tires but the steering seems more twitchy at higher speeds while making more abrupt lane changes. It could probably benefit from a less responsive steering lol.
Ah thanks. Maybe responsive wasn't the right wording for me, but I get what you mean. While the man holes and small bumps can be felt on the stock wheels, when taking some aggressive corners I've been happy with how the car handles them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Installed the Curt tow hitch. Bolted on perfectly. I would have preferred OEM look, but this was available for $190 free shipping and I just need it for bike rack. I like that it has minimal hang and it is shorter than the rear bumper since my garage parking is really tight.

I used two Jack stands on cardboard to slowly move and raise the hitch into place. Then the last inch I bench pressed the hitch and hand tightened the bolts on the chassis. It was pretty easy. Did it by myself.
The hardest work was torquing down the 6 bolts to 136 ft pounds. That took some effort!

Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Flooring Floor

Wood Door Beige Automotive exterior Tints and shades
Automotive tire Bumper Fixture Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finished installing a REDARK TowPro Liberty brake controller this afternoon. The install was pretty straight forward & looks decent enough. I ordered the plug-n-play wiring harness (TPH-013) and the universal switch insert (TPSI-001) along with the TowPro Liberty unit direct from REDARC. It took a bit over an hour total to install and I'm sure would have been easier if I were 50 years younger...

I took the lower left half of the dash loose which made the entire install easier. There are no screws and it pops off easier with a trim tool. You'll need to remove the small triangle shaped top left piece trim before popping the large piece loose.

I installed the control knob in the hole next to the traction control switch. (See pic# 1) The light gray 4 pin plug on the new harness gets plugged into the OEM female end harness which is also is light gray & sits a few inches above & behind the white OBD plug above & behind the emergency brake. (See pics # 2&3) I mounted the red Liberty control unit to the Emergency brake bracket with a heavy duty zip tie. I started the tie in the lower front hole of the unit, went around the brake bracket, came back through the top back hole of the unit, and over the unit and back through the end of the zip tie. It is as solid as if I had bolted it in place. (See pic # 6) It was pretty simple to find places to wrap up the excess cables. The only mod I had to do was to file off about 1/16" from both sides of a "shoulder" on the back side of the hole that the switch insert fit into. The insert was about 1/8" too wide at the back to fit all the way into the hole in the dash. (See pic # 4) I also added a thin strip of self stick cloth felt on each side of the hole in the dash to make the insert secure. (See pic # 5) The soft side of a piece of self stick velcro may work for this also, but it may be too thick. I may have uttered a couple of unkind words at REDARC ( I apologize REDARC) after the install when I hooked up the last connection & figured out that it didn't have power. A few seconds later I decided to check out whether Honda had put a fuse in for the E-brake... The fuse block is on the driver's side firewall under the hood and it takes a 20A mini fuse. It fits in slot # 3 between a 7.5A fuse and a 30A fuse. See (pic # 7)

Overall, I'm very happy with the install & I believe the REDARC controller is one of the best brands available, plus I feel it's a good value. I believe Honda should include this brake controller with every 5,000 pound hitch assembly they sell. They don't even offer one. I suppose we should be happy that they at least have the harness already installed...

Camera accessory Camera Gadget Font Camera lens
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk
Grey Flash photography Tints and shades Camera accessory Font
Style Rectangle Fixture Tints and shades Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had Opti-Coat Pro Ceramic coating installed this week. It was a real deal install which included a full decontaminate wash followed by a polish and then the installation of 2 layers of Ceramic protection applied to all glossy surfaces including the wheels. I also had the all of the matte black trim and windows treated with the appropriate ceramic products as well. The system cost $1100 installed and has a 5 year warranty that is also registered to carfax. I could not be happier! She shines bright like a diamond now, it really brings depth to the OBP paint...

Here are pics I took when I was picking it up...

View attachment 12358 View attachment 12359 View attachment 12360
View attachment 12361 View attachment 12362
That looks really nice! Did they take the wheels off & coat them behind the spokes? I've got a detailer coming next week to do our new Passport.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I finished installing a REDARK TowPro Liberty brake controller this afternoon. The install was pretty straight forward & looks decent enough. I ordered the plug-n-play wiring harness (TPH-013) and the universal switch insert (TPSI-001) along with the TowPro Liberty unit direct from REDARC. It took a bit over an hour total to install and I'm sure would have been easier if I were 50 years younger...

I took the lower left half of the dash loose which made the entire install easier. There are no screws and it pops off easier with a trim tool. You'll need to remove the small triangle shaped top left piece trim before popping the large piece loose.

I installed the control knob in the hole next to the traction control switch. (See pic# 1) The light gray 4 pin plug on the new harness gets plugged into the OEM female end harness which is also is light gray & sits a few inches above & behind the white OBD plug above & behind the emergency brake. (See pics # 2&3) I mounted the red Liberty control unit to the Emergency brake bracket with a heavy duty zip tie. I started the tie in the lower front hole of the unit, went around the brake bracket, came back through the top back hole of the unit, and over the unit and back through the end of the zip tie. It is as solid as if I had bolted it in place. (See pic # 6) It was pretty simple to find places to wrap up the excess cables. The only mod I had to do was to file off about 1/16" from both sides of a "shoulder" on the back side of the hole that the switch insert fit into. The insert was about 1/8" too wide at the back to fit all the way into the hole in the dash. (See pic # 4) I also added a thin strip of self stick cloth felt on each side of the hole in the dash to make the insert secure. (See pic # 5) The soft side of a piece of self stick velcro may work for this also, but it may be too thick. I may have uttered a couple of unkind words at REDARC ( I apologize REDARC) after the install when I hooked up the last connection & figured out that it didn't have power. A few seconds later I decided to check out whether Honda had put a fuse in for the E-brake... The fuse block is on the driver's side firewall under the hood and it takes a 20A mini fuse. It fits in slot # 3 between a 7.5A fuse and a 30A fuse. See (pic # 7)

Overall, I'm very happy with the install & I believe the REDARC controller is one of the best brands available, plus I feel it's a good value. I believe Honda should include this brake controller with every 5,000 pound hitch assembly they sell. They don't even offer one. I suppose we should be happy that they at least have the harness already installed...

View attachment 12826 View attachment 12827 View attachment 12828 View attachment 12829 View attachment 12830 View attachment 12831 View attachment 12832
Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
420 Posts
hmm not sure about that one.
You can always ask the installer, a quality shop/installer usually will tell/explain the process prior to install. "we will coat the rim face or we remove the wheel, decontamination, polish if necessary and coat the face and barrel".
Big difference in processes and price. Re-reading your original post, I see you paid $1100 for the service. Wheels off complete job from me on a SUV using a good quality coating, $1395. I only offer 1 way, wheels off.

I'd say just the rim face was done in your case.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can always ask the installer, a quality shop/installer usually will tell/explain the process prior to install. "we will coat the rim face or we remove the wheel, decontamination, polish if necessary and coat the face and barrel".
Big difference in processes and price. Re-reading your original post, I see you paid $1100 for the service. Wheels off complete job from me on a SUV using a good quality coating, $1395. I only offer 1 way, wheels off.

I'd say just the rim face was done in your case.
I called to confirm, wheel faces only. I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
420 Posts
I caked to confirm, wheel faces only. I'm fine with that.
And that's perfectly acceptable, just make sure you don't neglect the barrels when detailing, that's where most brake dust will settle.

1201 - 1219 of 1219 Posts