Honda Passport Forum banner

961 - 980 of 985 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even though it didn't lose any air their standard procedure is to plug and patch from the inside.
Have you guys ever heard of these patch kits? I've used them probably 8 times now, and there's been not a single leak after use following a lodged screw/nail in a car, van, or motorcycle rear tire (which was taken over 100mph several times after that - again, no leakage at all, tire lasted 4k miles after that, which was the normal life of the tire) Obviously these won't fix sidewall or slash damage, but for punctures, they work amazingly. Not even just for cost savings for patch jobs, but I keep these along with an air compressor and a backup can of fix a flat (for inflation, not sealing purposes) for emergency reasons. Used one on my last road trip high up on a mountain where there was no cell service - would've been a long cold walk back to civilization without it...can't say enough good things about them.

Compact/motorcycle kit:

Full-size kit:

·
Registered
485 Posts
linkdude64 , I've never seen that kit. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
25 Posts
linkdude64 , I've never seen that kit. Thanks for the tip!
Before you buy, let me type out a story - I'll edit this comment to type it all out - advocating why the motorcycle kit + an allen wrench and channel locks is a good bet vs the full kit (I've owned both).

Edit: So on this past trip which got my Odyssey KIA, and my PP purchased, I discovered a flat on the inside of the rear passenger tire, right next to the exhaust header, on my walk-around before heading out from the campsite.

Can you see the problem?

Not that it's an issue with a vehicle where you can turn the rear wheels, but I've patched a couple strangers' tires with this kit as well where fortunately, I now realize, were front wheels. I had to use the scissor jack to lift the van up because the size of the gun was such that it would both hit the ground, and if not, hit the exhaust pipe, as it spun to thread onto the plug nozzle that you can see sticking out of the tire. If I'd been able to turn the tire to present the hole, it wouldn't have been a problem, but again, your friend's car, your wife's car - who knows where you'll have to use this.

This video here shows the more portable version in action - see how the barrel that contains the threaded plunger has to spin onto the nozzle at 3:00? In the full size kit, you have to spin the entire gun around to thread it onto the nozzle, instead of just threading that small barrel.
youtube.com/watch?v=E0Xi-EWmwxs

So, assuming you've now watched the video, here's the issue I sometimes ran into with the portable kit - the last hurrah you have to give to finally shove that big mushroom plug down the nozzle tube is sometimes very difficult, especially with cold or sweaty hands, because the small knurled plunger barrel isn't much to hold on to, and as you turn the allen key you will spin the whole nozzle/barrel assembly in your hand, rather than being able to hold the barrel in place to apply torque to the internal plunger itself. With a small pair of channel locks you'll be able to hold that barrel easily (don't squeeze harder than necessary, and hold at a structural part of the tube like either end, of course) so that you can get the torque on the plunger you need to get the plug down the nozzle. With the full size gun, I have to use two hands to get it down, so it is quite a bit.

Hope that write-up was somewhat clear.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think I'll just stick with my old fashioned plug kit. It's very compact and super easy to use. Even though my plugs might be a little inferior to these, I've had very good luck with them.
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
48 Posts
I'm looking yo do the dashcam hardwire as well, what fuse# did you piggyback with?
Thanks

just note that locking your windows will put your camera into parking mode lol. I did it this way because I didn’t need to tap into any existing fuses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Technically, it’s not the PP I did anything to, except for putting the cargo box on it. I’ve had this box since 2008 and it was looking a little beat up. So, I had it wrapped. Changed the black to carbon fiber and the rest is color shift vinyl.

Depending on how the sun hits it, it sometimes matches the “bead lock” portion of the rims.

View attachment 8641 View attachment 8642 View attachment 8643 View attachment 8644
What brand vinyl did u use and was it difficult ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installed my rear view mirror front/back dash cam. Took about 1.5hrs. Ran cable for the camera feed along the headliner to rear. Drilled a hole through the plug and stored excess feed cable inside. Ran the power cable over to the passenger side door and removed rubber trim and fed the cable to the 12v by the gear selector.

Used the provided 3m tape and drilled two screw holes to attach the camera. I attached the camera to the rear hatch, to be careful when loading/unloading cargo. It ends up being at the same height as the middle plastic piece when the hatch is folded down.

Here is the link from Amazon.
[/URL]

This camera is awsome. On the rear setting i can see as many as 6 lanes across. Next up is to connect a.constant power source for parking mode.
I could not open the link and I am interested in your setup. Can u do some pictures showing where exactly and what u did and the brand of the camera? Do you think this set up allows adding a third camera? I will be happy to have a left car side view and low front view for parking and off road.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Sport
31 Posts
Installed my dark tint weather tech window trim and floor mats.

Window trim took about 30mins. I was hesitant at first after reading on here people having trouble with them but reassured myself after watching install videos on YouTube and reading the directions.

Read everything before you do anything.

Mats were super easy. Now waiting to pull the trigger on new tires. Narrowed it done to 3 options. Toyo Open Country at3, nitto ridge grapplers or terra grapplers in 265 50r20.

Any insights into my tire selection appreciated.

961 - 980 of 985 Posts