Honda Passport Forum banner

661 - 680 of 801 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The National Parks were all closed, last time I looked, are they going to be open by the time you get there?
They are all on different schedules. Grand Teton and Yellowstone are already open - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. At that time, there was no camping allowed in the parks so I stayed on BLM land. The campgrounds will be opening within the next few days, so I may stay in the park - not sure. A couple photos from last trip.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
I went with the James Baroud Space, though I think it goes by different names as well. I considered various roofnest models but it seems they are on backorder and couldn't find one to see in person. I also considered alucab, but I couldn't figure out a good mounting solution for it (nor could the shop that had them). The JB Space looks well built, installation was easy (Used Yakima cross bars), and has some nice touches. Maiden voyage to Tetons and Yellowstone next week to test it out.
How much does it weigh? Is it difficult to mount?

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
They are all on different schedules. Grand Teton and Yellowstone are already open - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. At that time, there was no camping allowed in the parks so I stayed on BLM land. The campgrounds will be opening within the next few days, so I may stay in the park - not sure. A couple photos from last trip.

Wow, great shots and so clear, what Camera gear are you using?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, great shots and so clear, what Camera gear are you using?
Thanks. I use a Sony A7riii and sony lenses. I switched from Canon a couple years ago. Very happy with the Sony system. More shots on my instagram account, jwr.explore. No website, yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Nice, my friend also switched from Canon to Sony a few years ago. Me I'm stuck with them, I have too much L Glass...lol

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
I installed a new roof top tent for an upcoming trip. Previously, I was sleeping in the back with my gear but wanted some more room. View attachment 6340
I thought the weight limit for roof top via crossbars was 165#. That thing must weigh at least 35#, my question is is it safe and or feasible as an option? Wouldn't be for me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
They are all on different schedules. Grand Teton and Yellowstone are already open - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. At that time, there was no camping allowed in the parks so I stayed on BLM land. The campgrounds will be opening within the next few days, so I may stay in the park - not sure. A couple photos from last trip. View attachment 6341 View attachment 6342
Great Oics!!:3
How did you integrate the camera into your Passport? Is this a spam message to sell a camera, or did you actually install it. If you installed, please provide full details.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought the weight limit for roof top via crossbars was 165#. That thing must weigh at least 35#, my question is is it safe and or feasible as an option? Wouldn't be for me.
I didn't understand your math.....165 limit, that "thing" must way at least 35. (??) As I understood it after consulting with Honda and installer, dynamic weight limit with OEM bars is 165lbs. The tent weighs 145lbs. Static limit is much higher. My consultants told me this would be fine. I'll post an update if I notice any problems. Thanks for sharing your concern, sounds like this isn't for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
I didn't understand your math.....165 limit, that "thing" must way at least 35. (??) As I understood it after consulting with Honda and installer, dynamic weight limit with OEM bars is 165lbs. The tent ways 145lbs. Static limit is much higher. My consultants told me this would be fine. I'll post an update if I notice any problems. Thanks for sharing your concern, sounds like this isn't for you.
I think he meant 350lbs and just dropped the "0"...

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
I didn't understand your math.....165 limit, that "thing" must way at least 35. (??) As I understood it after consulting with Honda and installer, dynamic weight limit with OEM bars is 165lbs. The tent weighs 145lbs. Static limit is much higher. My consultants told me this would be fine. I'll post an update if I notice any problems. Thanks for sharing your concern, sounds like this isn't for you.

So the tent weighs 145#, my math says 20# to the safe load limit of 165#

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
243 Posts
So the tent weighs 145#, my math says 20# to the safe load limit of 165#
From the GearJunkie link you posted: "The 165-pound weight limit is very common and applies to a moving load. When parked, the additional weight of humans and gear in a rooftop tent can be much higher. " :oops:

From this Thule Link: The weight capacity of the tent in use (static weight) can exceed the driving weight capacity of the rack/vehicle because the loads are dispersed throughout the tent and partially supported by the ladder. As a guideline, the static roof rack capacity is approximately three times the dynamic weight capacity (roof rack and tent included).

Pic shows using Yakima posts and bars (much better quality than OEM). Additional info at Yakima website regarding dynamic & static weight.

[Edit] JR SoCal found a alternative that he (she) is comfortable using, and I wish 'em the best in their Passport adventures . . . and hope they report back with recommendations and actual-use experiences . . . :)

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
From the GearJunkie link you posted: "The 165-pound weight limit is very common and applies to a moving load. When parked, the additional weight of humans and gear in a rooftop tent can be much higher. " :oops:

From this Thule Link: The weight capacity of the tent in use (static weight) can exceed the driving weight capacity of the rack/vehicle because the loads are dispersed throughout the tent and partially supported by the ladder. As a guideline, the static roof rack capacity is approximately three times the dynamic weight capacity (roof rack and tent included).

Pic shows using Yakima posts and bars (much better quality than OEM). Additional info at Yakima website regarding dynamic & static weight.

[Edit] JR SoCal found a alternative that he (she) is comfortable using, and I wish 'em the best in their Passport adventures . . . and hope they report back with recommendations and actual-use experiences . . . :)
My concern would be about the weight load on the roof (gear, occupants etc.), I think it's a really cool idea just have issues trusting the integrity of the structure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My concern would be about the weight load on the roof (gear, occupants etc.), I think it's a really cool idea just have issues trusting the integrity of the structure.
I understand your concerns, I had them too and that is why I consulted with a few experts and evaulated the loads with them. I am also an engineer who worked in automotive safety (Front, side, rollover crash sensing and mitigation) for many years. The dynamic load is well within spec, and the static load is well within spec. To me, the question is not about ultimate strength but it is about durability which is more closely related to the dynamic load spec and not the static load spec. As I'm sure you know, the dynamic load spec is significantly dependant on road surfaces which can result in high impact, short duration loads on the system. I will continue to check connection points and load points to see if there are any signs of fatigue. If you have experience with structural integrity, mechanical load dynamics, and FEA analysis let me know and you could model it in SolidWorks (Though durability analysis is much more difficult than static ultimate strength analysis). I am using Yakima bars as stated above.

As I stated before, I will report back after my upcoming trip (>2000 miles multiple nights on various road surfaces). So far I've only driven about 100 miles on various road conditions with it on top, checked the torque on all connections and visible signs of fatigue and found no problems. I have layed in it as well multiple times with the same results.

In the mean time, enjoy your adventures.

661 - 680 of 801 Posts