Honda Passport Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Honestly, which Toyota would you buy. I am trying to help my sister-in- law select a new small told SUV. I think the 2021 Rav4s are pretty nice. 4Runners are too crude for her. Highlanders too big. What would you suggest
Any Hyundai or Kias?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Last night I used our newly purchased RAV4 at night for the first time. I thought the low beams were pretty good. Hopped into the Passport and the Passport's were superior. However, when I figured out how to use the auto high beams in the RAV4 they actually worked providing better illumination than the Passport. In the Passport, the automatic high beams never come on unless there are no street signs. Toyota Automatic high beams simply work as intended supplementing the low beams for great overall performance.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Were you going 45 mph or faster? Were you in a lighted situation like street lights or was it completely dark? High beams are designed to provide light when you speed is such that you are overdriving the low beams. It is impossible to overdrive your low beams at the typical speeds traveled in non highway driving.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've had my Elite PP for over two years now and found the auto high beams too fickle when approaching a lighted area. Even a porch light from a single house will click them off. Way too sensitive for me. Ken

·
Registered
409 Posts
Were you going 45 mph or faster? Were you in a lighted situation like street lights or was it completely dark? High beams are designed to provide light when you speed is such that you are overdriving the low beams. It is impossible to overdrive your low beams at the typical speeds traveled in non highway driving.
Rarely above 45 mph, lots of street signs, minimal lights. The autos in my PP have come on just a handful of times. As I get older, if I can get more light automatically I'll take all I can regardless of speed and I feel safer. Coming from a 17 Ridgeline, I'm grateful for both lighting systems. I knew I was in trouble with the Ridgeline when my wife told me to turn on the headlights and they were already on :).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just coming out of a Subaru and back to Honda this past weekend, I will say this is something Subaru does right - on their auto highs, the default is high all the time, and they auto back down to low beams in the conditions that would normally deactivate our highs, if that makes sense. I found it worked amazingly well compared to the Honda systems I've seen over the past 10 years or so.

Reactions: Gatorgibson

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just coming out of a Subaru and back to Honda this past weekend, I will say this is something Subaru does right - on their auto highs, the default is high all the time, and they auto back down to low beams in the conditions that would normally deactivate our highs, if that makes sense. I found it worked amazingly well compared to the Honda systems I've seen over the past 10 years or so.
Welcome Order66 to the PP Forum. The subject of PP high beam sensitivity is an ongoing discussion point here on the forum. Search the topic for the full discussion.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
436 Posts
For what it's worth, it's a stupid feature and another in dumbing down the driving experience by removing thinking/evaluating/processing/deciding. I'm glad it doesn't work. I barely use the high beams as I don't feel they add more or increase visibility.

Reactions: Passporter

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
For what it's worth, it's a stupid feature and another in dumbing down the driving experience by removing thinking/evaluating/processing/deciding. I'm glad it doesn't work. I barely use the high beams as I don't feel they add more or increase visibility.
Same here. Maybe it’s because I’m in the suburbs but last several vehicles had auto highs and once I saw them kick on in a 4Runner. After that I shut them off. If I lived in the wide open country I would most likely have aux driving lights anyway

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD Blue
108 Posts
Same here. Maybe it’s because I’m in the suburbs but last several vehicles had auto highs and once I saw them kick on in a 4Runner. After that I shut them off. If I lived in the wide open country I would most likely have aux driving lights anyway
Yeah they are nice for country driving on two lane roads as they auto dim. Worthless in the city/burbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First of all, I want to state that I love our new Passport. It is sooo much better than the '16 Pilot Touring that we traded in for it, and I considered the Pilot to be one of the finest vehicles we've owned for several decades. That said, does anyone actually like the auto dim feature? I had the opportunity to play with it last night on our way home from a football game. Over a 100 miles of rural highway driving. A very frustrating 100 miles... I just finished reading through the 7 pages of posts on the shortcomings of this poorly designed system. I experienced nearly all of the negative complaints listed. Road sign reflections dimming the lights, headlights dimming when meeting cars at least a mile away or not dimming until cars I'd meet were waaay too close. Dimming appropriately when meeting oncoming traffic & then flashing brights at the same vehicle when they would get closer. This happened to 3 separate vehicles that we met. I drove through two small rural towns where my headlights would dim & then go bright 4 or 5 times in a quarter mile or so with no oncoming traffic, just street lights and the occasional lights from the local businesses. I finally just shut the auto feature off going through towns. The only time the feature worked well was the few times I was passed by other vehicles. The lights would dim immediately after a car would pass and stayed on dim until the vehicle got a good distance away. The sensors seem to react to red tail lights better than to headlights, street lights, or road signs. My verdict is in. I won't be using this feature. BTW, did I mention that I love this new Passport?

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 Sport Steel Metallic
77 Posts
Wow, interesting post on this subject. Never been a Honda owner until a couple of Months ago when I purchased 2 Passports. The wife and I both love them. They are both sport trims. I do drive mine early morning(4am) so it's plenty dark and mostly highway. The system seems to work fine on mine, not sure about wife's yet. I would say this is one option that if I did not like how it performed I would simply use that small stick lever very close to my left hand. Then it comes on at any speed and for as long as I wanted. We normally dont get anything other than entry level on vehicle purchases so we were impressed with what all came standard on the pp. I have nothing to compare the other safety systems to like the acc Lkas and so on but wow, that stuff is pretty cool! So far a happy Honda owner!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, interesting post on this subject. Never been a Honda owner until a couple of Months ago when I purchased 2 Passports. The wife and I both love them. They are both sport trims. I do drive mine early morning(4am) so it's plenty dark and mostly highway. The system seems to work fine on mine, not sure about wife's yet. I would say this is one option that if I did not like how it performed I would simply use that small stick lever very close to my left hand. Then it comes on at any speed and for as long as I wanted. We normally dont get anything other than entry level on vehicle purchases so we were impressed with what all came standard on the pp. I have nothing to compare the other safety systems to like the acc Lkas and so on but wow, that stuff is pretty cool! So far a happy Honda owner!
OK, finally have an update on this subject. The wife and I meet some fiends for dinner at a off the beaten path restaurant. We had one stretch of really dark two lane road for about 10 miles. The auto brights were terrible!! Came on for about 3 seconds then would go dim for no apparent reason, then 3 seconds later would come back on. This happen very very often. It seemed to go back dim with even the tint mile marker signs. I will be turning this option off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The auto dimming headlights have not been working well on my 3 month old Passport. Issues: road signs cause them to dim, they don't dim soon enough when a car is approaching, they switch to bright when a car is approaching, when the lights are on dim other cars frequently flash their lights at me. So I have often manually dimmed the lights but left the setting at auto. Now auto dim does not work at all. I've tried the procedure of holding the lever 30 or 40 seconds to activate/de-activate but that has not helped. The one thing I have not tried is pulling the lever toward me to flash the brights (I just saw that in the book now). But I plan to stop at the dealer today to have them look at it. I have a 2015 Ford F-150 and this feature works great on that vehicle. So far I am not impressed with Honda's version and may have to stick to manual mode.
Just switched mine off, it's terrible!

121 - 135 of 135 Posts