Honda Passport Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
465 Posts
Its about the generations. CRV and Accord are newer generations relative to the Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline so their stuff is the latest and greatest. I wouldn't expect too much from Honda until the next generation. After coming from my Ridgeline which had awful headlights, I don't see what the big deal is with the high beams, you can always turn them on manually. The Sensing is a problem though with way too many brake warnings. I didn't expect it to be this bad. That's why consumers have to be weary of manufacturer offerings. Just because they check a box doesn't mean that there is successful execution of those options.
I will agree with you on this but, I believe a good amount of the shortcomings with the Passport could be corrected with software updates.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm so jealous, now if only your auto engine shut-off would break, you'd be the luckiest one here.

Reactions: JLH

·
Registered
409 Posts
I will agree with you on this but, I believe a good amount of the shortcomings with the Passport could be corrected with software updates.
Shows Honda's arrogance. This is not a build quality issue and if it's something so simple as software shame on Honda. My wife has a 2015 CRV Touring and I'm amazed that the sensing system has gotten worse in terms of false alarms. Still, if it saves us all will be forgiven.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm used to cars with this feature that turn on when no car is oncoming. I set it but I don't see it turn on. Is there a setting for it? My car says the high beam with the A on but yet to see it.
Mine always worked fine until they completed the recall where they pull part of the dash, I think it was a memory problem. When I read the manual, it stated when at 45mph and over and at dark pull the light stick back (like when flashing the high beams) and hold for 4 seconds and it began to work again. Might look at that if all else does not work. (PS: I got those instructions out the the 600+ page PDF download manual.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine always worked fine until they completed the recall where they pull part of the dash, I think it was a memory problem. When I read the manual, it stated when at 45mph and over and at dark pull the light stick back (like when flashing the high beams) and hold for 4 seconds and it began to work again. Might look at that if all else does not work. (PS: I got those instructions out the the 600+ page PDF download manual.)
that was how I got my working again. Now I know how to reset the system

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite
9 Posts
It is pretty dark where I live and mine will come on all the time....when I get at about 45 MPH. On my wife's accord they come on at much lower speed. All I can figure is because the PP sits higher maybe you can/are supposed to see better? That's my very non technical thought.

·
Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
133 Posts
The book says 45 mph. So unless you can reprogram the ECU; it'll be 45. If you CAN reprogram it, many on here would want that too!

·
Registered
798 Posts
It is pretty dark where I live and mine will come on all the time....when I get at about 45 MPH. On my wife's accord they come on at much lower speed. All I can figure is because the PP sits higher maybe you can/are supposed to see better? That's my very non technical thought.
Another non technical thought, at speeds up to 45 mph if you headlights are working properly you cannot out driver your low beam headlight. At higher speeds you can outdrive your low beam headlights, but then at those higher speeds you should not be driving on the average city streets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I finally took my three month old Passport for a drive after dark. I drove a little over a hundred miles to my property in the southern part of NYS where I have a camp. I haven’t driven this vehicle at night until two days ago and it’s a bit of disappointment to say the least. Almost all of the trip was driving on country roads with few street lights or any type of artificial lighting. It was in the middle of the night driving with almost no traffic on the roads. I thought it would be a chance to try out a few of the features I hadn’t tried yet. I turned on the the auto high beams and they constantly changed between low beam and high beam like they were on a thirty second timer. There was NOTHING to cause them to change other than mileage markers and road signs. I finally had to turn this totally useless feature off. It just doesn’t work at all. In the three months I’ve owned this vehicle it’s been very disappointing. I can’t believe Honda released many of the features on this vehicle without getting the bugs out of them. The dash lights up and beeps with no apparent reason when it detects a vehicle coming towards me in the other lane if the other car is coming around a curve. The transmission is slow to go from park to drive and the vehicle lunges a bit when it does change gears. This is my fourth Honda, and my last. Most of the electronic features have enough bugs in them to make them more annoying than convenient. The sound system is poor by anyone’s standards also. My 2016 Pilot was light years ahead of this vehicle in quality and satisfaction. I believe Honda has gone mainstream American quality. I’m not happy with it at all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Most of if not all of these features can be turned off, if they're a bother. Unfortunately we had to pay for them. Honda should offer a non-smart Passport, for people like me.

Reactions: QCEng1

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
436 Posts
I finally took my three month old Passport for a drive after dark. I drove a little over a hundred miles to my property in the southern part of NYS where I have a camp. I haven’t driven this vehicle at night until two days ago and it’s a bit of disappointment to say the least. Almost all of the trip was driving on country roads with few street lights or any type of artificial lighting. It was in the middle of the night driving with almost no traffic on the roads. I thought it would be a chance to try out a few of the features I hadn’t tried yet. I turned on the the auto high beams and they constantly changed between low beam and high beam like they were on a thirty second timer. There was NOTHING to cause them to change other than mileage markers and road signs. I finally had to turn this totally useless feature off. It just doesn’t work at all. In the three months I’ve owned this vehicle it’s been very disappointing. I can’t believe Honda released many of the features on this vehicle without getting the bugs out of them. The dash lights up and beeps with no apparent reason when it detects a vehicle coming towards me in the other lane if the other car is coming around a curve. The transmission is slow to go from park to drive and the vehicle lunges a bit when it does change gears. This is my fourth Honda, and my last. Most of the electronic features have enough bugs in them to make them more annoying than convenient. The sound system is poor by anyone’s standards also. My 2016 Pilot was light years ahead of this vehicle in quality and satisfaction. I believe Honda has gone mainstream American quality. I’m not happy with it at all.
I'm curious, did you test drive this vehicle? I don't use the auto high beam as there really is no need for me to use them. It's really another feature to dumb down the driving experience. I do notice the lag from park to gear selected, have dismissed it as a characteristic of the vehicle and have become accustomed to it. Honda sensing package overall in this vehicle is weak, I'll agree w/ you on that. Compared to other models that share the tech, I don't understand how the PP cannot communicate it well? The adaptive CC is awful and more an annoyance than benefit I feel. Again, another feature to dumb the responsibility of piloting down. As far as the sound system goes, again, adequate wouldn't go right to poor. I love my PP, the quirks and minor annoyances don't detract from its benefits and driving experience for me. Get rid of it would be my suggestion to you and find something that brings you joy. Life is too short to let something so trivial as a a vehicles features to disappoint you. Plenty of choices, let us know if you find auto utopia and perfection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm curious, did you test drive this vehicle? I don't use the auto high beam as there really is no need for me to use them. It's really another feature to dumb down the driving experience. I do notice the lag from park to gear selected, have dismissed it as a characteristic of the vehicle and have become accustomed to it. Honda sensing package overall in this vehicle is weak, I'll agree w/ you on that. Compared to other models that share the tech, I don't understand how the PP cannot communicate it well? The adaptive CC is awful and more an annoyance than benefit I feel. Again, another feature to dumb the responsibility of piloting down. As far as the sound system goes, again, adequate wouldn't go right to poor. I love my PP, the quirks and minor annoyances don't detract from its benefits and driving experience for me. Get rid of it would be my suggestion to you and find something that brings you joy. Life is too short to let something so trivial as a a vehicles features to disappoint you. Plenty of choices, let us know if you find auto utopia and perfection.
I didn’t test drive this particular vehicle at night to see how the high beams worked.....not many people go to those extremes. Also, it would take a two day test drive to read the entire owners manual and play with all the features and evaluate them. I bought it based on the ownership of three previous Honda vehicles and my forty years of working as an engineer for GM and Ford. I also spent five years working with Toyota on joint ventures. Get rid of it you say? I evaluated it, I didn’t say I was willing to take a 10K hit to get rid of it. During my career in the auto industry I probably owned at least fifty (or more) new cars and had the opportunity to drive and evaluate many more. I have actually gotten rid of a few for poor quality. I know this is a Passport forum and saying negative things about someone’s baby being ugly brings out some barbed and heated responses. I’m just putting it out there that Honda is retreating on the quality standards that made them what they are today. You pay for all the useless frills they charge you for and put on their new vehicles. Just something to think about.
Final thought: The first day I met with Toyota to start the joint venture between GM and Toyota, their N. American quality manager started the meeting off with these words, “our customer is not our final inspector”. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility to get it right.

·
Registered
798 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on the system. Here is what you see at night.....

Here is what the sensor is seeing at night...........

That is how bad the light pollution is on the eastern seaboard.

Now NYS compared to my location.

It's no surprise that the sensor is more sensitive in your area than in mine. I don't know if that is a situation that can be adjusted or not.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
232 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on the system. Here is what you see at night.....
View attachment 10662

Here is what the sensor is seeing at night...........
View attachment 10663
That is how bad the light pollution is on the eastern seaboard.

Now NYS compared to my location.
View attachment 10664

It's no surprise that the sensor is more sensitive in your area than in mine. I don't know if that is a situation that can be adjusted or not.
Light pollution, I've never heard that term used. That being said I know it is a real thing and I am glad that I live in the middle of cow country with dark country nights versus living in a more urban area. That being said I do wonder how much high beams would even need to be used in an area with a greater amount of light pollution?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Trade it in on a Pilot then.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts