Honda Passport Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought I posted about this before but cannot find a related topic. I don't like the way the auto high beams work on my Passport. They worked great on the Ford Escape I traded and I also own a Ford F-150 and they work excellent on that vehicle. On the Passport they dim for practically every road sign I meet and there seems to be no logic as to when they dim for oncoming cars. My biggest fear is this feature will cause some sort of road rage incident. I took it to my dealer in November and they said there is nothing wrong with it. Today I called Honda Customer Care. They didn't seem very interested in helping. They referred me to page 175 of the manual which lists many exceptions when the dimming may not work properly - apparently they ALL apply to my car. It's interesting to me how my 3 & 4 year old Fords worked without issue in these exceptions. They also said to go back to my dealer. The dealer did not seem very interested in the issue the first time so I don't have a lot of confidence there. I do hope the problem can be resolved as I've enjoyed the auto dimming feature on both Fords I've owned but find it very frustrating on the Honda - to the point that I feel it is best to deactivate it. I don't believe I am seeing many complaints about this on the forum and this does make be believe that there is something wrong with my vehicle. I'd love to hear comments from others. Honda did give me a case number that I will share with the dealer the next visit.
We have two F-150s, a 2018 and a 2019, SCREW 157" 4x4. The 2019 has auto headlamps and I'm continuously amazed how spot-on the auto headlamp feature works. It's very rare that it will dim for a sign and never blinds another driver by failing to dim. I was hoping for the same result if I decide to trade the 2018 for a Passport.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put it to use again Friday through the Flint Hills of Kansas. It was spot on dimming for traffic, dimming quickly for cars cresting the hills. No issues with signs. No cars flashed their lights at me. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have never had this feature on other vehicles, but I do believe it is of limited use. On rural roads and highways, I've had it shut off on the approach of any new sign with good reflectivity. I'm not worried about it not working for an oncoming car, more the fact it just seems to be off almost as much as on even when the the road is empty. It's so annoying that I rarely use it and prefer to go the "old fashioned" way and manually do it for myself.

It's almost as bad as the driver assist braking...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I tried them again with a 650 mile trip yesterday. 3 hours of night driving on Montana roads with little traffic. Yep, this 'feature' is an absolute joke. Reflectors on the roadside, signs on the roadsides and yard lights trip the brights. Gimme a break. My F-150 is spot on with this feature. Honda - you blew it on this.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite
9 Posts
My wife has a '19 Acord touring and hers come on at a lower speed than mine. Mine only come on when I am at 45 MPH and above. That's my only real issue. Maybe because my PP sits higher than hers so they figure I can see better? Don't know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm used to cars with this feature that turn on when no car is oncoming. I set it but I don't see it turn on. Is there a setting for it? My car says the high beam with the A on but yet to see it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you see the A it is set to go but it rarely works for me unless I'm in the middle of nowhere. There are threads about it not activating due to road signs. If you don't see the A turn them off and put back into auto mode until you see the A. Either way, I love the low beams compared to the ones I had on my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you see the A it is set to go but it rarely works for me unless I'm in the middle of nowhere. There are threads about it not activating due to road signs. If you don't see the A turn them off and put back into auto mode until you see the A. Either way, I love the low beams compared to the ones I had on my Ridgeline.
See I did. The A is always there but doesnt seem to light up.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
117 Posts
I love my Passport, but the auto high beams blow. They work well in my wife's '17 Sienna and they worked well in my '19 Accord, so I know the tech works, but the system in the Passport is subpar. In fact, the entire Honda Sensing suite was WAY better in my Accord than it is in the Passport.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Are you getting up to 45 mph? That is the minimum speed for the auto high beams.

Are you on a road with street lights?

Are the oncoming vehicles or are you closely following a vehicle?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Forget it - the ‘feature’ just plain sucks.

Reactions: Steveg203 and Hubb

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you getting up to 45 mph? That is the minimum speed for the auto high beams.

Are you on a road with street lights?

Are the oncoming vehicles or are you closely following a vehicle?
This is correct. Auto high beams will only turn on at 45mph.

I do not understand why Honda made this change. My 2016 Honda Accord definitely turned high beams on at much lower speeds.

·
Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
133 Posts
It is true that the won't work till you hit 45 mph. We also have an '18 CR-V Touring and they work at about 25....
Don't have a clue why the Passport has to hit 45...

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
465 Posts
It amazes me how Honda can be spot on with my wife's 2018 CRV with regards to the auto high beams, ACC, and some other techie items but a compete misfire with my 2019 PP. It's not like they don't have it figured out.... :unsure:

Reactions: Moab Junky and Hubb

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
117 Posts
It amazes me how Honda can be spot on with my wife's 2018 CRV with regards to the auto high beams, ACC, and some other techie items but a compete misfire with my 2019 PP. It's not like they don't have it figured out.... :unsure:
Same for the current generation of Accord. The Sensing suite was actually quite good. I was shocked when I traded my '19 Accord on a '20 Passport that the driver aides don't function nearly as well, despite the Passport being a year newer and upwards of $10k more expensive.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its about the generations. CRV and Accord are newer generations relative to the Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline so their stuff is the latest and greatest. I wouldn't expect too much from Honda until the next generation. After coming from my Ridgeline which had awful headlights, I don't see what the big deal is with the high beams, you can always turn them on manually. The Sensing is a problem though with way too many brake warnings. I didn't expect it to be this bad. That's why consumers have to be weary of manufacturer offerings. Just because they check a box doesn't mean that there is successful execution of those options.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts