Honda Passport Forum banner

What’s with the auto high beams?

62K views 145 replies 62 participants last post by  blb 
I finally took my three month old Passport for a drive after dark. I drove a little over a hundred miles to my property in the southern part of NYS where I have a camp. I haven’t driven this vehicle at night until two days ago and it’s a bit of disappointment to say the least. Almost all of the trip was driving on country roads with few street lights or any type of artificial lighting. It was in the middle of the night driving with almost no traffic on the roads. I thought it would be a chance to try out a few of the features I hadn’t tried yet. I turned on the the auto high beams and they constantly changed between low beam and high beam like they were on a thirty second timer. There was NOTHING to cause them to change other than mileage markers and road signs. I finally had to turn this totally useless feature off. It just doesn’t work at all. In the three months I’ve owned this vehicle it’s been very disappointing. I can’t believe Honda released many of the features on this vehicle without getting the bugs out of them. The dash lights up and beeps with no apparent reason when it detects a vehicle coming towards me in the other lane if the other car is coming around a curve. The transmission is slow to go from park to drive and the vehicle lunges a bit when it does change gears. This is my fourth Honda, and my last. Most of the electronic features have enough bugs in them to make them more annoying than convenient. The sound system is poor by anyone’s standards also. My 2016 Pilot was light years ahead of this vehicle in quality and satisfaction. I believe Honda has gone mainstream American quality. I’m not happy with it at all.
I'm curious, did you test drive this vehicle? I don't use the auto high beam as there really is no need for me to use them. It's really another feature to dumb down the driving experience. I do notice the lag from park to gear selected, have dismissed it as a characteristic of the vehicle and have become accustomed to it. Honda sensing package overall in this vehicle is weak, I'll agree w/ you on that. Compared to other models that share the tech, I don't understand how the PP cannot communicate it well? The adaptive CC is awful and more an annoyance than benefit I feel. Again, another feature to dumb the responsibility of piloting down. As far as the sound system goes, again, adequate wouldn't go right to poor. I love my PP, the quirks and minor annoyances don't detract from its benefits and driving experience for me. Get rid of it would be my suggestion to you and find something that brings you joy. Life is too short to let something so trivial as a a vehicles features to disappoint you. Plenty of choices, let us know if you find auto utopia and perfection.

For what it's worth, it's a stupid feature and another in dumbing down the driving experience by removing thinking/evaluating/processing/deciding. I'm glad it doesn't work. I barely use the high beams as I don't feel they add more or increase visibility.

Reactions: Passporter