Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had theirs welded on or looked into it?

The tweakers stealing them in Californistan is a huge epidemic right now and I’ve read this can certainly slow down the process or encourage them to move onto the Toyota Camry parked next to us!

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
Garage? close proximity to your living space, shotgun, pistol. Last resort insurance. Didn't realize that was a thing in California. Add that to the list of reasons I will not be moving there. 🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
What exactly are you wanting to know? Cost? I am sure it can be done. I may end up removing mine if it doesn't sound too bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Garage? close proximity to your living space, shotgun, pistol. Last resort insurance. Didn't realize that was a thing in California. Add that to the list of reasons I will not be moving there. 🤔
At home I garage it. However, my passport is often parked in a garage or hotel a mile from my room, like it is right now. Or I do have to drive to Target or the grocery store often and they are being stolen there too. Yes - it’s one more reason I want to get out.

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What exactly are you wanting to know? Cost? I am sure it can be done. I may end up removing mine if it doesn't sound too bad.
Costs vary, I can deal with that. Just looking for any insight on getting them welded on.
Do you not need one for a vehicle?

I’d be concerned about passing a yearly emissions test without, plus adding pollutants would be a NO for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Florida so no we don't need them. I haven't looked at the exhaust system yet so I am not sure how everything is connected yet. AFAIK when people do this they generally use a cutting tool like a Sawsall to cut the cats out as it's the quickest method so welding them in probably won't help you much.

·
Registered
154 Posts

The tweakers stealing them in Californistan is a huge epidemic right now and I’ve read this can certainly slow down the process or encourage them to move onto the Toyota Camry parked next to us!
Maybe Nancy owns stock in the company that makes them.... LOL seriously, not much you can dot stop it they will just saw it it off no matter if it is welded or not.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what I've hear and seen at my local garage the battery operated sawsall is the tool of choice for the thieves around here...larryd

·
Registered
2019 Elite Black Forest
46 Posts
I see were there is a company that makes a deterrent for this. Don't know anything about them . Looks kinda like a skid plate that is attached to the frame, covering the cat. Didn't read enough about it to be able to comment on what type of metal it was or how difficult sawing thru it would be.
Too bad our stock security system doesn't have shock sensors ( i don't think at least) that could be adjusted to be more sensitive to vibration and alarm.

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts

Believe me, there is way worse reasons...lol

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts

Take it to to a Muffler shop and ask them about it...

·
Registered
45 Posts

I know someone who had his CC stolen twice. Once was outside a restaurant during lunch and once in front of his house at 4AM. They target vehicles that have high ground clearance to get in and out with a battery saw quickly so they might ignore the Camry next to you. He finally got a type of hardened-steel cage installed around it so it would take too long to be worth the risk. There are probably plenty of places installing deterrents.

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know someone who had his CC stolen twice. Once was outside a restaurant during lunch and once in front of his house at 4AM. They target vehicles that have high ground clearance to get in and out with a battery saw quickly so they might ignore the Camry next to you. He finally got a type of hardened-steel cage installed around it so it would take too long to be worth the risk. There are probably plenty of places installing deterrents.
I had one stolen off my Civic years ago too. And true about the higher profile vehicles. My aunt had hers stolen from an old 4Runner at an Albertsons grocery store twice within a month. She no longer goes to that store.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts