Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife is in the 5'5" height range and has a little trouble getting in the Passport. her first instinct when we bought the passport was to grab on to the "oh s**t" handles above the door, but I asked her not to because these ones (unlike the ones on all the toyotas I have owned which you could easily hang your weight on) are flimsy and dont even seem to be screwed onto anything that firm.

Why did Honda even put these on here? For looks???? Seriously, they are embarassing, Im not even sure if these are in the back like our toyotas if I would hang my dry cleaning on them.... What is up with that?

·
Registered
370 Posts
We added the die cast running boards. Makes ingress and egress super easy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not having issues with my grab handle. My 90 pound M-in-Law uses it each time she maneuvers herself in to the front passenger's seat.
When I'm drying the roof, I open the door and grab the handle to pull myself towards the center of the roof and my grab handle doesn't feel loose or flimsy.

Reactions: pshadoa and jppelec

·
Registered
643 Posts
I weigh 175 and have no problem hanging on the grab handles. They are not loose at all. I have read in previous posts where some had the same complaint that you had. Definitely something for the dealer to remedy for you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I asked the dealer when I went there to have running boards put on. And the dealer said the grab handles are "clipped on" not screwed in.

When you see this video thats kind of obvious....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I asked the dealer when I went there to have running boards put on. And the dealer said the grab handles are "clipped on" not screwed in.

When you see this video thats kind of obvious....
The running boards help height challenged get in much better ;) I even used to how they look now...

·
Registered
302 Posts
The dealer is correct. The handles are indeed clipped in, and this method has been used for several years across different Honda models. The play in the mounting does not mean it's not a strong attachment.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have read and commented about the grab handles previously. I did not know what folks were talking about. So I went out just now to check. 3/4 of mine are solid, no play in them at all. The 4th, the rt rear passenger handle, does have some play in it. Perhaps there is some sort of adjustment before they are clipped in ???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have read and commented about the grab handles previously. I did not know what folks were talking about. So I went out just now to check. 3/4 of mine are solid, no play in them at all. The 4th, the rt rear passenger handle, does have some play in it. Perhaps there is some sort of adjustment before they are clipped in ???
All 4 of mine have this play. Its not like Im relying on these for any real safety (? how could i?), I was just surprised first that they are loose at the base and secondly that the plastic material of the handle flexes.
It doesnt inspire confidence to have a loose flexing thing in your hand for "stability".

Maybe Honda should have went with these....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts