Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
ACC and LKAS has been installed in Honda vehicles for at least 12 years - perhaps the cameras and software needs refinement when used in Passport, perhaps due to acoustic glass, or vehicle height, or windshield angle, or installing low-bid equipment. But this isn't prototype technology by Honda.

But the Passport is built and marketed for a different customer base, not Mercedes clients. Honda Passport is middle-market SUV, as is Toyota Highlander and RAV4 (ever read all the disclaimers on their Safety Sense Suite?), Jeep Grand Cherokee (NHTSA investigates inexplicable emergency braking), Hyundai Sante Fe (crankshaft position sensor failure, causing engine stalling or failure to start). You praised the Honda Accord infotainment, yet there are still m-a-n-y complaints about Accord and Honda Sensing, too. And above you inferred Honda should have quality control of Mercedes, but Mercedes too have had problems, such as their Mercedes C-Class vehicles have horrible reputation for engine failure due to failed electrical connections within the engine system, resulting in the engine coming to complete stop without warning.

A car is made of thousands of complex parts, and systems can fail. Even the most impressive models can have inherent flaws or develop issues over time. As I posted here, the infotainment problem has not been solved because no one has yet been able to isolate the singular fault resulting in failure. We all have different degrees of expectation with our purchases, be it a dinner out, home internet service, home entertainment equipment or laptop, a vehicle, or a home. Buyers have all the power, so you do make a difference with your decisions. You have options.

Beachbum07, you obviously have very negative feeling about Honda's support to it's customers, so I am asking why you purchased your Passport?

Beachbum07, you frequented this forum with m-a-n-y posts before purchasing your Passport, so you knew what you were buying
. You posted:
"I’ve been researching the PP for quite a while, and many different sites, so my sampling size of owner feedback is quite large."
"I'm holding off on my PP purchase until the infotainment fix is released. I don’t have the time to jerk around with multiple dealership visits for repair attempts."
"I’ll stay loyal to the brand, but sit on the sidelines until Honda gets their act together."
"I’ll wait for a TSB on this issue, and wait for a PP manufactured after the date of the TSB."
"Your assumption is wrong. I’m loyal to the brand, just being cautious based on facts. I had my dealer even confirm that the problems are widespread."
" I’ve always gone with my gut on big purchases, and so far, I’ve done very well."
"it didn’t join the forum to complain. I came here to research before my purchase."

You even created a new thread regarding your decision and excitement to purchase your Passport well after you posted many negative concerns about Honda, as those listed above.

And after all your researching, waiting, and using your gut, after your purchase you posted:
"BTW, the 75 mile drive was quite comfortable and enjoyable. Used the ACC the whole way, but at that late hour, not many cars on the highway to be a nuisance"
"On my way back home early Monday morning, I started to doze a bit, and the lane departure warning saved the day "
"Safety features definitely helped. PP applied brakes before I could react. The PP stayed straight in the lane during the braking."
" and think the whole idea of auto stop/start is ridiculous and unnecessary. We're rebels"

Beachbum07, overall, are you enjoying your Passport?? You have pridefully posted about many additional mods and accessories you have invested into your Passport, so I assume you must like your Passport. Is it that you just dislike dealers, or service techs, or just Honda?

As for myself, we purchased a Touring model manufactured in February, 2019 (I even posted image of my window sticker in this forum).
  • We have not experienced a-n-y infotainment issues whatsoever.
  • We have ACC set to shortest distance for detection, and have not had a problem with it. When ACC slows more than I like, I simply depress the gas pedal and gitty-up to speed.
I empathize with all those that are awaiting solutions to their infotainment issues, and secretly smile that my vehicle has not (yet) fallen victim to this fault.
I never expected the Honda Passport to be perfect, but I adapt to my new ride and enjoy it.

Beachbum07, you post a-l-o-t and it makes for some interesting reading . . . however my view of Honda and my Passport is significantly more optimistic than yours - my glass is always half full even as I continue drinking from it. Still happy with our Passport, and no regrets buying it. Life is too short to be bitter about such things, this is not my first vehicle nor will it be my last - I enjoy them for many years, then move on. I hope others continue to find great satisfaction and create memorable experiences with their Passport, too 🍺
Panda, you really wasted a lot of time researching my prior posts. Let me sum it up for you.
  • I have always loved my prior 6 Hondas
  • Overall, I like my Passport, but I’m pissed at the implementation of certain features
  • It’s very comfortable to drive
  • I did do a lot of research prior to my purchase, but had hopes that Honda would be able to resolve the current issues
  • I despise dealers, and the low end “mechanics” that most hire
  • I think Honda has the best six cylinder engine in this segment
  • It has the interior space that I need
  • I based my purchased on my prior positive Honda experience over the competition
  • Lastly, if LKAS and ACC have been used for 12 years on other Honda models, those features should be extremely refined by now
  • My reference to Mercedes was about how quickly they investigate issues. I’m well aware of their many problems
  • There is no perfect vehicle
  • I took a leap of faith based on my prior Honda experience, but not impressed with some of the features, and the fact that Honda seems to be stumped as to how to fix them
  • And lastly, and probably very controversial, I think Honda should bring the manufacturing back to Japan.
I won’t be trading in my Passport because overall, it checks most of my boxes for my needs compared to the competition. For some reason on this forum, you either have to completely love and drool over your Passport, or keep your mouth shut. I will continue to contribute, but if the so called group of 16 don’t like it, I’ll gladly move on and you can all have a Kumbaya party.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with most of the above, however, after driving my Passport TOU AWD for 9 hours, I don't think it is nearly as comfortable, as my 2007 MDX. Now, I or at least my bones accept Honda's off road claims.

Reactions: emj123

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beachbum07 You sir are a very intelligent man as is Panda.
I always look forward to both of your posts as I gain experience from the both of you.
I was one of those complainers that was very trivial with fit and finish issues and being an educator for 35 years I’m the worst reading directions. I do agree with the moving back to Japan part, as a case in point my wife’s Mazda CX-5 Signature (Made in Japan) is much better with all the technical features and interior refinements. (Horrible Turbo lag though)
Honda Passports are made in Alabama and no offense to any one from that great State but assembly lines in Japan have a much better reputation.
I love the V-6, I love the interior space and the ride so I’ll be keeping my Passport and from now on, I promise to take my complaints out on the dealership.😁

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Beachbum07 You sir are a very intelligent man as is Panda.
I always look forward to both of your posts as I gain experience from the both of you.
I was one of those complainers that was very trivial with fit and finish issues and being an educator for 35 years I’m the worst reading directions. I do agree with the moving back to Japan part, as a case in point my wife’s Mazda CX-5 Signature (Made in Japan) is much better with all the technical features and interior refinements. (Horrible Turbo lag though)
Honda Passports are made in Alabama and no offense to any one from that great State but assembly lines in Japan have a much better reputation.
I love the V-6, I love the interior space and the ride so I’ll be keeping my Passport and from now on, I promise to take my complaints out on the dealership.😁
Thanks for the kind words, GeoBella! I’m glad there are like-minded members on this forum.

Regarding American assembly plants, we have overpaid people putting the same screw in the same hole all day long, and yet there are still assembly problems. How could workers who install the MOST bus lines install them in such a way that they get crimped?? Why aren’t bolts torqued properly, especially when you have automated tools that should eliminate that problem? The pride in workmanship in American car plants is no where near that of Japanese plants. Totally different mindset. We have clock punchers just wanting to collect a paycheck, when Japanese workers want to get the job done right, and their management is held accountable for shoddy work.

What I really don’t like is when people say “well all of the other car makers have the same problems.” Should a car maker be just like the rest, and accept incompetence, poor design, and half-baked technology, or should they strive to be the best? As I said before, companies are trying to beat each other to market with the next best feature, even if it isn’t quite ready for prime time. Most probably accept it and figure that they’ll work out the problems with next year’s models. Those are the companies that risk losing loyal customers. Dealerships have become nothing more than parts swappers. They figure it’s quicker to swap something out than to truly diagnose a problem. Plus, they don’t want to pay for master mechanics with the knowledge necessary to do the job right.

Oh well, I’m going back to enjoying my Sunday.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hate going to service to get anything done, they never seem to fix it right the first time. I spent 32 visits at a GM. garage for the same problem with a diesel truck that back fired... diesels can't backfire. I was strung along till the lemon law ran out. In Pa. it is a year. Plus I worked for a company that was owned by the same man. Bad situation.... Now with Honda the same thing I had wrong with the CRV and Honda sensing is wrong with the PP except I don't have oil levels 2" high on the dip stick. I guess the quality went down, they make no attempt to fix the problems .... If you guys don't good for you, don't beat us up for stating the problems we have.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I hate going to service to get anything done, they never seem to fix it right the first time. I spent 32 visits at a GM. garage for the same problem with a diesel truck that back fired... diesels can't backfire. I was strung along till the lemon law ran out. In Pa. it is a year. Plus I worked for a company that was owned by the same man. Bad situation.... Now with Honda the same thing I had wrong with the CRV and Honda sensing is wrong with the PP except I don't have oil levels 2" high on the dip stick. I guess the quality went down, they make no attempt to fix the problems .... If you guys don't good for you, don't beat us up for stating the problems we have.
And they always seem to do something wrong with the cars, whether it’s a scratch, dirt/grease on the steering wheel and dash, leave off a trim piece, etc. One time with my old Pilot, they closed the hood and left something on top of the engine cover, and created three outward dents on the hood. 🙄

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
52 Posts
And they always seem to do something wrong with the cars, whether it’s a scratch, dirt/grease on the steering wheel and dash, leave off a trim piece, etc. One time with my old Pilot, they closed the hood and left something on top of the engine cover, and created three outward dents on the hood. 🙄
I found a magnetic tray wedged between the frame and AC condenser, only after it rubbed a hole in the ac line...
Then there was this one time I received a call from a service mgr. asking if I could look under my hood to see if the tech had left his expensive snap on magnetic flashlight under there. I responded, no, that's in my tool box now. If he wants it he can come pick it up. Still have it, waiting. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I found a magnetic tray wedged between the frame and AC condenser, only after it rubbed a hole in the ac line...
Then there was this one time I received a call from a service mgr. asking if I could look under my hood to see if the tech had left his expensive snap on magnetic flashlight under there. I responded, no, that's in my tool box now. If he wants it he can come pick it up. Still have it, waiting. :sneaky:
That's how I got a (20") long Snap-On screwdriver, from a BWM mechanic, however they never called...lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
I once had the BMW dealer call to tell me the recall service was done.....BUT...a tech had somehow backed into the car and smashed the front fender! Needed a new fender and headlight. They wanted their body shop to do the repair but I insisted a local custom shop do the work. Since this was considered a collision, under CA law I could take it to any certified shop. BMW was not happy, but the work was done flawlessly. I still have the 3 series after 14 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I once had the BMW dealer call to tell me the recall service was done.....BUT...a tech had somehow backed into the car and smashed the front fender! Needed a new fender and headlight. They wanted their body shop to do the repair but I insisted a local custom shop do the work. Since this was considered a collision, under CA law I could take it to any certified shop. BMW was not happy, but the work was done flawlessly. I still have the 3 series after 14 years.
Nice, what 3 series do have?

I had a 2002 330i (4-dr) and a 2012 328i Coupe, loved both of them...!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Wow, crazy stuff!! That’s why I’ll be installing a Fumoto valve on my pan when I do my first oil change, so it’s nice and easy, and I don’t resort to going to the dealer, or worse, a quick lube place. Enjoy the new flashlight! 🤣

I’ve had a Snap—On ratcheting screwdriver I got in the late 1980’s that someone gave to me for doing a side job. The gears finally wore out a few years ago. Called Snap-On and they sent me a brand new one, case and all! Stuff is too overpriced for my needs. Craftsman or Harbor Freight are good enough.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice, what 3 series do have?

I had a 2002 330i (4-dr) and a 2012 328i Coupe, loved both of them...!
I had a 2001 330i. Really liked it. Sold that and got the current one. '06 330i, black on black., 6spd manual, premium & sport packages. Has been a trouble free car. I do all my own maintenance which isn't much. Only drive it on weekends now. Drive the PP rest of the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems like 90% of the threads on this site are complaints. If so why hasn’t everyone traded their PP in? I’m fairly new, but the the petty complaints on here seem to take away from legit issues.
Trading my 2019 PP as soon as I can afford it. Probably around October. Problems are real. Dealership says “that’s just the way the vehicle is - nothing we can do to fix”. Wish the service folks had told the sale staff before I purchased.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Trading my 2019 PP as soon as I can afford it. Probably around October. Problems are real. Dealership says “that’s just the way the vehicle is - nothing we can do to fix”. Wish the service folks had told the sale staff before I purchased.
You need to find a new dealer AND contact Honda Corp with your issues, they will follow through to get it fixed!

And a fixed PP is probably worth more money!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally I thought the whole purpose of a forum was to discuss problems.
it is also a great way to discover how wide spread it is.
For now living with the passport but will likely end up back in a full size pickup

·
Registered
'20 Passport EX-L AWD (Modern Steel/Black)
12 Posts
I have a 20 EX-L, came from a 17 CR-V EX-L, and I absolutely love my Passport.

Sadly, I haven't driven much with everything going on since picking it up mid-March.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Personally I thought the whole purpose of a forum was to discuss problems.
it is also a great way to discover how wide spread it is.
For now living with the passport but will likely end up back in a full size pickup
I think the purpose of a forum is for enthusiasts to meet and discuss topics, good and bad, compare modifications and accessories, learn new tips in a positive environment.

If as you say, this was just a place to vent and complain, I wouldn't be here...

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems like 90% of the threads on this site are complaints. If so why hasn’t everyone traded their PP in? I’m fairly new, but the the petty complaints on here seem to take away from legit issues.
I have a Passport Elite, it is almost a year old, never had any problems, I had a Lexus, my PP is a much better car for me that is, I actually stopped coming to the forum because of the complaints, I told my hubby that I thought I was the only happy person here, lol, I know that is not so, just that there is more bad said about the PP than good, I feel I have a great car~Wished some of you others thought the same

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Passport Elite, it is almost a year old, never had any problems, I had a Lexus, my PP is a much better car for me that is, I actually stopped coming to the forum because of the complaints, I told my hubby that I thought I was the only happy person here, lol, I know that is not so, just that there is more bad said about the PP than good, I feel I have a great car~Wished some of you others thought the same
I wish I thought the same, too!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts