Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L; 2019 Honda Civic Sedan Si; 2013 Honda Civic LX
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What are you considering petty complaints on a $40k vehicle? Honda safety features not working, inadvertent brake alerting, infotainment system and dash crapping out, simple features like a charging pad not working, auto high beams not working, auto wipers that are inconsistent, etc, etc?? All features that we’ve paid for, and some of us paying for the Elite for the extra features that don’t work? Are these what you consider to be petty issues?

This is my 7th Honda, and I’ve never had such problems. Honda WAS well known for only using tried and true technology, until the last 2-3 years. It’s pretty pathetic that they are trying to ignore these issues. My cheaper 2018 Rav4 XLE with Toyota Safety Sense works flawlessly. Their radio sucks, but at least it works.

So why should we have to take a hit in trading in our Passports when Honda should be fixing these issues?? It’s a nice SUV, and rides well, but there are definitely things that have to be fixed. I took the JD Powers survey and listed all of the problems. I encourage others to do the same. Maybe Honda will wake up and change.

I didn’t buy a new vehicle to be aggravated by a half assed implementation of safety and other features. I drove my last Honda (Pilot) for 15 years until April when I bought my 2020 Passport Elite. Never had problems with my Pilot. Did routine maintenance and it lasted me 268,000 miles or so, and sold it to a young kid who will get many more miles out of it.

So please differentiate between what you call petty and legitimate complaints? Did you lease your vehicle for a few years, or did you buy it to keep for a long time? The reason I ask is that those who lease tend to have the attitude that they just have to put up with the issues and then dump the vehicle at lease end for something else. That’s much different than those, like myself, who purchased it with the intent on keeping it for 10+ years.

Are you expecting everyone on this forum to be a Passport cheerleader like the owners of crappy Jeeps? Jeep diehards ignore the many problems and attack those who criticize the Jeep’s major shortcomings.

A forum is a place to share ideas and experiences, whether good or bad, so that current and future owners can be well informed. It is not a place to dismiss the valid concerns and issues of other members. It’s also not a place to judge a problem as petty or legitimate. It’s the owner’s decision to make that judgement based on his or her own situation.

So, if you don’t appreciate the honest exchange of information of all members, and can’t refrain from bullying others, then maybe you came to the wrong place. Food for thought....
Not sure how you go from liking my post to accusing me of being a bully? I already explained that drive ability, safety and entertainment features are legit and should be corrected. If I list the bs complaints verbatim then I am calling people out and bullying. I don’t lease vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
I felt after the 4th model year Honda would have their act together on the Honda sensing, but as everyone can see they didn't. so we have to deal with it best we can..... Too bad we can't get reimbursed for what we paid for that doesn't work...... If we did you can bet it would be fixed in very short order......
A class action lawsuit is possible. I purchased a model for certain features that do not work.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
433 Posts
Not sure how you go from liking my post to accusing me of being a bully? I already explained that drive ability, safety and entertainment features are legit and should be corrected. If I list the bs complaints verbatim then I am calling people out and bullying. I don’t lease vehicles.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you're taking exception with people popping in to trash Honda or the Passport, not people posting about issues they're facing.

I got a little tired of all the posts saying the "ACC sucks," so I posted my full experience with ACC and tried to get others to post theirs. I wanted to know why people felt the way they did or what about ACC on their previous car was better.

I like that we share issues we're having. I feel that I will be able to use many of the shared experiences to help me if I run into trouble.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a quick question about the ACC: is it using conventional braking or engine braking to slow the PP down?

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I liked it because you recognized that drivability, safety and infotainment issues are valid. I have a problem with you dismissing all other complaints, and insinuating members with valid issues, regardless of severity, should clam up about there concerns, and suggesting that only Passport enthusiasts should contribute.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
It
I have a quick question about the ACC: is it using conventional braking or engine braking to slow the PP down?
It uses conventional braking. I’ve noticed that the system sometimes reacts like ABS engaging, and can hear multiple pulses from the braking controller/system/whatever it’s called. The sound comes from the front passenger side under the hood where the brake lines come together. It quickly pumps the breaks. I have not noticed ACC letting up on the accelerator or engine breaking at all. I wonder if this is why people are having premature rotor warping. If anyone has any additional info, please post. I’m no mechanic, but have been driving for 35 years and know the feeling when the brakes are applied. This issue is probably at the top of my frustration list, as I use cruise every weekend.

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
243 Posts
Technology is an ever-evolving and constantly changing science, and that learning curve can sometimes result in spinouts and pot-holes. Honda is no different than any other mass market automaker, and feels the sales pressure to market itself as competitive in the newest bells-&-whistles features that current shoppers are so enamored with. Anyone can pick & choose individual features in other makes/models to site as better functioning, better ergonomics, better appearance than how Honda made its Passport; but we are responsible to do our due diligence and make our vehicle purchase based on the overall package and what is most important to us. Passport is far from perfect, but I could likewise find issue with any other vehicle, too. Some features you thoroughly enjoy, some simply get the job done, some you learn to live with, and some just make you scream WTH!!! Sounds kinda like marriage . . . some say enough already and trade-in . . . some celebrate golden anniversaries.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It

It uses conventional braking. I’ve noticed that the system sometimes reacts like ABS engaging, and can hear multiple pulses from the braking controller/system/whatever it’s called. The sound comes from the front passenger side under the hood where the brake lines come together. It quickly pumps the breaks. I have not noticed ACC letting up on the accelerator or engine breaking at all. I wonder if this is why people are having premature rotor warping. If anyone has any additional info, please post. I’m no mechanic, but have been driving for 35 years and know the feeling when the brakes are applied. This issue is probably at the top of my frustration list, as I use cruise every weekend.
Thanks for the info although I'm disappointed to hear it. I guess that means that the brake lights are constantly cycling on and off too. 😟

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess that means that the brake lights are constantly cycling on and off too. 😟
[EDIT] - Brake lights are typically activated when depressing brake pedal forces a plunger switch (mounted at top of brake pedal) to close electrical circuit
. . . and . . .
Brake lights ARE also activated during ACC and CMBS activation.

Thanks Nipper Dog, and mtgriff's humor ;) for reminding me to proof-read my post before pressing
:oops:

ACC releases pressure on the throttle and pressurizes brake system to decelerate vehicle.

Engine braking is very minimal at normal highway speeds on ICE vehicles, primarily due to overdrive gearing in automatic transmissions. Passport is in overdrive after 5th gear, so one would 'feel' lack of acceleration, not engine braking.
On Passport, in "D" mode and Econ engaged, releasing throttle is almost like coasting. In "S" mode and with Econ disengaged, you will feel greater rate of deceleration.

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Registered
351 Posts
Brake lights are only activated by depressing brake pedal, controlled switch at top of the pedal
Hmmmm, seems dangerous for the car to be applying the brakes without the brake lights coming on to warn drivers behind us that we're slowing down.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
433 Posts
I have seen the brake lights come on in my mirror at night when it had to brake hard.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Technology is an ever-evolving and constantly changing science, and that learning curve can sometimes result in spinouts and pot-holes. Honda is no different than any other mass market automaker, and feels the sales pressure to market itself as competitive in the newest bells-&-whistles features that current shoppers are so enamored with. Anyone can pick & choose individual features in other makes/models to site as better functioning, better ergonomics, better appearance than how Honda made its Passport; but we are responsible to do our due diligence and make our vehicle purchase based on the overall package and what is most important to us. Passport is far from perfect, but I could likewise find issue with any other vehicle, too. Some features you thoroughly enjoy, some simply get the job done, some you learn to live with, and some just make you scream WTH!!! Sounds kinda like marriage . . . some say enough already and trade-in . . . some celebrate golden anniversaries.
Whenever a manufacturer chases the market, they are very vulnerable to failures and customer dissatisfaction. That why I mentioned previously that Honda was always well known for using tried and true technology.

Manufacturers just don’t decide to add something like ACC without testing it in prototypes, and usually for a long period of time, under many different types of conditions. We’ve all seen prototypes and pre-production vehicles covered up to disguise a new design. Manufacturers will usually add a new technology to an existing model with known working systems to isolate testing on that new technology before ever going into production.

I used to work down the road from the Mercedes corporate office in Park Ridge, NJ, where a few friends worked. During lunch we’d walk over to Mercedes because they always had prototype vehicles in the rear parking lot. They also had a large investigations lab where cars with a large amount of complaints about a specific feature or system would be brought in and analyzed. Also, vehicles that were in severe crashes would come in to study if they performed as designed, and identify if they needed to change anything.

I got to see the little Smart Cars two years before they went into full production. They probably had 50 or so that were in continuous testing.

I’m sure Honda and other manufacturers do something similar, but my friend at Mercedes said that as soon as a widespread issue was discovered, they would immediately buy back several cars for deep analysis and a plan of action.

Back to the Passport....

Honda released the 2019, which had well known issues, such as the infotainment system. They didn’t fix it, and the problem rolled over to the 2020 models. Once it got to the point of many, many complaints and threats of class action lawsuits, they started to dispatch “Honda’s Finest” to dealerships for a deep dive of the issue(s). The infotainment and ACC issues are so prevalent that it’s hard to believe that they were not discovered pre-release. What was the result? Honda’s reputation has been tarnished, and they risked losing potential and loyal Honda customers. All because they wanted to chase the market.

Just because “all” manufacturers are adding these features doesn’t mean that you have to rush to market, and is in no way a valid excuse for a lousy implementation. That’s my beef, and that will be a deciding factor in my next purchase, and in my recommendations to others.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
263 Posts
To me the real rub or frustration is not Honda competing with other manufacturers in the market. It's between Honda and Honda.... many of the short comings with the Passport sensing issues work flawlessly in their CRV sensing. I know because my wife has a 2018. That just defies logic on so many levels.

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
To me the real rub or frustration is not Honda competing with other manufacturers in the market. It's between Honda and Honda.... many of the short comings with the Passport sensing issues work flawlessly in their CRV sensing. I know because my wife has a 2018. That just defies logic on so many levels.
And the Accord has the latest, working infotainment system. 🙄

·
Registered
243 Posts
Whenever a manufacturer chases the market, they are very vulnerable to failures and customer dissatisfaction. That why I mentioned previously that Honda was always well known for using tried and true technology.

Manufacturers just don’t decide to add something like ACC without testing it in prototypes, and usually for a long period of time, under many different types of conditions. We’ve all seen prototypes and pre-production vehicles covered up to disguise a new design. Manufacturers will usually add a new technology to an existing model with known working systems to isolate testing on that new technology before ever going into production.
ACC and LKAS has been installed in Honda vehicles for at least 12 years - perhaps the cameras and software needs refinement when used in Passport, perhaps due to acoustic glass, or vehicle height, or windshield angle, or installing low-bid equipment. But this isn't prototype technology by Honda.

I used to work down the road from the Mercedes corporate office in Park Ridge, NJ, where a few friends worked. During lunch we’d walk over to Mercedes because they always had prototype vehicles in the rear parking lot. They also had a large investigations lab where cars with a large amount of complaints about a specific feature or system would be brought in and analyzed. Also, vehicles that were in severe crashes would come in to study if they performed as designed, and identify if they needed to change anything.

I got to see the little Smart Cars two years before they went into full production. They probably had 50 or so that were in continuous testing.

I’m sure Honda and other manufacturers do something similar, but my friend at Mercedes said that as soon as a widespread issue was discovered, they would immediately buy back several cars for deep analysis and a plan of action.
But the Passport is built and marketed for a different customer base, not Mercedes clients. Honda Passport is middle-market SUV, as is Toyota Highlander and RAV4 (ever read all the disclaimers on their Safety Sense Suite?), Jeep Grand Cherokee (NHTSA investigates inexplicable emergency braking), Hyundai Sante Fe (crankshaft position sensor failure, causing engine stalling or failure to start). You praised the Honda Accord infotainment, yet there are still m-a-n-y complaints about Accord and Honda Sensing, too. And above you inferred Honda should have quality control of Mercedes, but Mercedes too have had problems, such as their Mercedes C-Class vehicles have horrible reputation for engine failure due to failed electrical connections within the engine system, resulting in the engine coming to complete stop without warning.

Back to the Passport....
Honda released the 2019, which had well known issues, such as the infotainment system. They didn’t fix it, and the problem rolled over to the 2020 models. Once it got to the point of many, many complaints and threats of class action lawsuits, they started to dispatch “Honda’s Finest” to dealerships for a deep dive of the issue(s). The infotainment and ACC issues are so prevalent that it’s hard to believe that they were not discovered pre-release. What was the result? Honda’s reputation has been tarnished, and they risked losing potential and loyal Honda customers. All because they wanted to chase the market.

Just because “all” manufacturers are adding these features doesn’t mean that you have to rush to market, and is in no way a valid excuse for a lousy implementation. That’s my beef, and that will be a deciding factor in my next purchase, and in my recommendations to others.
A car is made of thousands of complex parts, and systems can fail. Even the most impressive models can have inherent flaws or develop issues over time. As I posted here, the infotainment problem has not been solved because no one has yet been able to isolate the singular fault resulting in failure. We all have different degrees of expectation with our purchases, be it a dinner out, home internet service, home entertainment equipment or laptop, a vehicle, or a home. Buyers have all the power, so you do make a difference with your decisions. You have options.

Beachbum07, you obviously have very negative feeling about Honda's support to it's customers, so I am asking why you purchased your Passport?

Beachbum07, you frequented this forum with m-a-n-y posts before purchasing your Passport, so you knew what you were buying
. You posted:
"I’ve been researching the PP for quite a while, and many different sites, so my sampling size of owner feedback is quite large."
"I'm holding off on my PP purchase until the infotainment fix is released. I don’t have the time to jerk around with multiple dealership visits for repair attempts."
"I’ll stay loyal to the brand, but sit on the sidelines until Honda gets their act together."
"I’ll wait for a TSB on this issue, and wait for a PP manufactured after the date of the TSB."
"Your assumption is wrong. I’m loyal to the brand, just being cautious based on facts. I had my dealer even confirm that the problems are widespread."
" I’ve always gone with my gut on big purchases, and so far, I’ve done very well."
"it didn’t join the forum to complain. I came here to research before my purchase."

You even created a new thread regarding your decision and excitement to purchase your Passport well after you posted many negative concerns about Honda, as those listed above.

And after all your researching, waiting, and using your gut, after your purchase you posted:
"BTW, the 75 mile drive was quite comfortable and enjoyable. Used the ACC the whole way, but at that late hour, not many cars on the highway to be a nuisance"
"On my way back home early Monday morning, I started to doze a bit, and the lane departure warning saved the day "
"Safety features definitely helped. PP applied brakes before I could react. The PP stayed straight in the lane during the braking."
" and think the whole idea of auto stop/start is ridiculous and unnecessary. We're rebels"

Beachbum07, overall, are you enjoying your Passport?? You have pridefully posted about many additional mods and accessories you have invested into your Passport, so I assume you must like your Passport. Is it that you just dislike dealers, or service techs, or just Honda?

As for myself, we purchased a Touring model manufactured in February, 2019 (I even posted image of my window sticker in this forum).
  • We have not experienced a-n-y infotainment issues whatsoever.
  • We have ACC set to shortest distance for detection, and have not had a problem with it. When ACC slows more than I like, I simply depress the gas pedal and gitty-up to speed.
I empathize with all those that are awaiting solutions to their infotainment issues, and secretly smile that my vehicle has not (yet) fallen victim to this fault.
I never expected the Honda Passport to be perfect, but I adapt to my new ride and enjoy it.

Beachbum07, you post a-l-o-t and it makes for some interesting reading . . . however my view of Honda and my Passport is significantly more optimistic than yours - my glass is always half full even as I continue drinking from it. I'm not a Honda fanboy; I buy from whatever manufacturer makes the product that I feel best fits my needs and desires at that point in time. Sure I could nit-pik dislikes such as no full-size spare, no 18 or alternative wheel/tire size, no 360-degree camera view, no std.equipment tranny cooler, no electronic parking brake; and yes, smoother functioning safety electronics. Still happy with our Passport, and no regrets buying it. Life is too short to be bitter about such things, this is not my first vehicle nor will it be my last - I enjoy them for many years, then move on. I hope others continue to find great satisfaction and create memorable experiences with their Passport, too 🍺

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are a lot of complaints. A lot are credible where some are just flat out nitpicking, imo. The frequency of complaints on here has dramatically lowered my visits to the site. In the end, it’s just a damn car and not worth the stress. If I was as pissy as some, I’d just trade it and be done with it. I’ve never understood why some whine and complain for months and years on end over something that is in their control to change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love my Passport. No issues here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you're taking exception with people popping in to trash Honda or the Passport, not people posting about issues they're facing.

I got a little tired of all the posts saying the "ACC sucks," so I posted my full experience with ACC and tried to get others to post theirs. I wanted to know why people felt the way they did or what about ACC on their previous car was better.

I like that we share issues we're having. I feel that I will be able to use many of the shared experiences to help me if I run into trouble.
Ok, hears my reason for saying ACC sucks It is terrible it as it was in my 2017 Honda touring. Four model years from Honda and it is as bad as or worse than the CRV. the CC on the PP. is very good so I use it and it it is smooth and no surprises ......

21 - 40 of 64 Posts