Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L; 2019 Honda Civic Sedan Si; 2013 Honda Civic LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like 90% of the threads on this site are complaints. If so why hasn’t everyone traded their PP in? I’m fairly new, but the the petty complaints on here seem to take away from legit issues.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
243 Posts
It is disheartening to read so many negative comments. Despite some minor annoyances, I love my Passport, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Of course, I might change my tune if I start having infotainment issues.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Everything that is "petty" is the issue, because Hondas are not know to have issues.
People go to car forums to learn about issues, how to fix or how to get manufacturers to fix issues, and how after market products fit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
243 Posts
I hadn't seen many either, but I've seen three of them in the past couple of weeks. There is someone at my work with a Sport model. I want to figure out who it belongs to and get them to join our club.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I see most complaints or issues are the same. I wish I would have got a better test drive, so it is my fault. The ACC sucks, Just use CC now with no issues. Getting tired of the forward collision warning and wheel shake and braking from on coming traffic too. Brake or rotor induced shake going down hill. I will address when I can get to the service department. My way of handling the Honda sensing issues is to turn them off and guess what it is a nice vehicle to drive, good gas mileage also, not what they say.....

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L; 2019 Honda Civic Sedan Si; 2013 Honda Civic LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please don’t get me twisted, Legit issues with drivability and infotainment need to be addressed by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree, the 16 of us that like our Passports should have a separate forum. I accept the limitations of the driver assistance technology for what it is...assistance. On narrow curvy roads I just turn off the assistance if it becomes too annoying. My teenage kids are the primary Passport drivers and I wanted them to have as much technology help as possible, perfect or imperfect. I drive a Land Rover because of it's ability off road, can go through any horrible winter conditions and ability to haul heavy boxes for work. A typical Honda buyer would lose their mind with some of the Land Rover issues. But I can overlook those for all the amazing things it can do correctly. And there is an entire forum of happy, enthusiastic Land Rover lovers that post daily about their travels and epic adventures. Sure there are discussions about problems, but it's about how to fix issues so I can keep my beloved LR4 going.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the forward collision warning has it's issues on straight roads also and is no way limited to curvy roads. I had four vehicles on a two lane straight road and none over the center line it went nuts on the first one and did nothing on the next three.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One more thought...today people expect the vehicle to do more...look for cars in their blind spot, brake for me if I'm looking at my cell phone, see if a car is coming as I try to back out of a parking spot between big SUVs, show me on a screen what is behind me so I don't have to turn my head and look. These features have become a priority. Driving 60K miles a year as a sales rep in the 90's, I went through about 8 Honda Accords. My priorities then were fun to drive and durability...put in gas, change the oil and drive. All the Accords had comfortable seats, good stereos, big sunroofs and a silky smooth shifter and clutch. I truly enjoyed driving them each day and didn't want or expect them to do the driving for me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree, the 16 of us that like our Passports should have a separate forum. I accept the limitations of the driver assistance technology for what it is...assistance. On narrow curvy roads I just turn off the assistance if it becomes too annoying. My teenage kids are the primary Passport drivers and I wanted them to have as much technology help as possible, perfect or imperfect. I drive a Land Rover because of it's ability off road, can go through any horrible winter conditions and ability to haul heavy boxes for work. A typical Honda buyer would lose their mind with some of the Land Rover issues. But I can overlook those for all the amazing things it can do correctly. And there is an entire forum of happy, enthusiastic Land Rover lovers that post daily about their travels and epic adventures. Sure there are discussions about problems, but it's about how to fix issues so I can keep my beloved LR4 going.
Well you could try here: Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums Since the two vehicles are basically the same there is a separate Passport area. Lots of fun, friendly folks and lots of good information regarding mechanical issues etc. as the Pilot has been around longer than this version of the Passport.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
175 Posts
I wrote this about 3 months ago in a thread about reliablity between PP and Pilot. And I still feel the same way only difference is now I have 10,600 on the odometer..

I just read this whole thread from beginning to end.... the one thing I came away from this was that this forum is still a very small sampling of the Passport owners out there. If asked I would say there's probably a 100 registered people (plus or minus a few) that have made posts or responded to posts on these forum. Of those 100 people I would venture to say there's a solid 30 of us that visit and post on a regular basis. Ha ha, either we're very bored people or we're just passionate about what we like (I'll put us with the latter)!
Unfortunately, as it has been stated before most of the postings here have been negative in nature. And before any one blasts me for that, yes I agree many of the complaints are 100% valid for what they are stating. Just saying it's easier to say something bad than it is to say something good.
I joined this forum AFTER I purchased my PP Elite in October and I learned a lot from all of you... and to that I say Thank You . Plus I have been very fortunate to say that my PP has been 100% reliable with ZERO issues with 7,100 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
At my age I was just looking for the little bit of assistance. Now after my 2017 CRV, I guess I should have know better but the PP has similarities with the lack of refinement with the CRV.

·
Registered
89 Posts
FWIW, the Passport driver assistance issues are common to other vehicles and manufacturers as well. I haven't seen a single post about them causing a Passport to be involved in an accident. We have also have an Audi Q7 and Q7 forum members have posted about the automatic braking causing them to be rear-ended. I have experienced the issue myself while waiting to make a left turn across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. I know there is a big enough gap in the oncoming traffic so I can scoot across and make the turn, as does the person behind me waiting to turn left. But the oncoming traffic alert decides otherwise and slams on the brakes right after I step on the gas. Thankfully the person behind me was paying attention. The only way to defeat this is to turn off the left turn signal.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
It seems like 90% of the threads on this site are complaints. If so why hasn’t everyone traded their PP in? I’m fairly new, but the the petty complaints on here seem to take away from legit issues.
What are you considering petty complaints on a $40k vehicle? Honda safety features not working, inadvertent brake alerting, infotainment system and dash crapping out, simple features like a charging pad not working, auto high beams not working, auto wipers that are inconsistent, etc, etc?? All features that we’ve paid for, and some of us paying for the Elite for the extra features that don’t work? Are these what you consider to be petty issues?

This is my 7th Honda, and I’ve never had such problems. Honda WAS well known for only using tried and true technology, until the last 2-3 years. It’s pretty pathetic that they are trying to ignore these issues. My cheaper 2018 Rav4 XLE with Toyota Safety Sense works flawlessly. Their radio sucks, but at least it works.

So why should we have to take a hit in trading in our Passports when Honda should be fixing these issues?? It’s a nice SUV, and rides well, but there are definitely things that have to be fixed. I took the JD Powers survey and listed all of the problems. I encourage others to do the same. Maybe Honda will wake up and change.

I didn’t buy a new vehicle to be aggravated by a half assed implementation of safety and other features. I drove my last Honda (Pilot) for 15 years until April when I bought my 2020 Passport Elite. Never had problems with my Pilot. Did routine maintenance and it lasted me 268,000 miles or so, and sold it to a young kid who will get many more miles out of it.

So please differentiate between what you call petty and legitimate complaints? Did you lease your vehicle for a few years, or did you buy it to keep for a long time? The reason I ask is that those who lease tend to have the attitude that they just have to put up with the issues and then dump the vehicle at lease end for something else. That’s much different than those, like myself, who purchased it with the intent on keeping it for 10+ years.

Are you expecting everyone on this forum to be a Passport cheerleader like the owners of crappy Jeeps? Jeep diehards ignore the many problems and attack those who criticize the Jeep’s major shortcomings.

A forum is a place to share ideas and experiences, whether good or bad, so that current and future owners can be well informed. It is not a place to dismiss the valid concerns and issues of other members. It’s also not a place to judge a problem as petty or legitimate. It’s the owner’s decision to make that judgement based on his or her own situation.

So, if you don’t appreciate the honest exchange of information of all members, and can’t refrain from bullying others, then maybe you came to the wrong place. Food for thought....

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I see most complaints or issues are the same. I wish I would have got a better test drive, so it is my fault. The ACC sucks, Just use CC now with no issues. Getting tired of the forward collision warning and wheel shake and braking from on coming traffic too. Brake or rotor induced shake going down hill. I will address when I can get to the service department. My way of handling the Honda sensing issues is to turn them off and guess what it is a nice vehicle to drive, good gas mileage also, not what they say.....
It’s not your fault. When you buy a product, you expect it to work as advertised. It’s not like Honda lists one set of features as included in the price, and a set of freebies with the disclaimer that if they don’t work, we can’t help you. They should ALL work, and if not, Honda should take care of the issues. Is that too much to expect?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
FWIW, the Passport driver assistance issues are common to other vehicles and manufacturers as well. I haven't seen a single post about them causing a Passport to be involved in an accident. We have also have an Audi Q7 and Q7 forum members have posted about the automatic braking causing them to be rear-ended. I have experienced the issue myself while waiting to make a left turn across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. I know there is a big enough gap in the oncoming traffic so I can scoot across and make the turn, as does the person behind me waiting to turn left. But the oncoming traffic alert decides otherwise and slams on the brakes right after I step on the gas. Thankfully the person behind me was paying attention. The only way to defeat this is to turn off the left turn signal.
So just because other manufacturers have similar issues, we are just supposed to accept mediocrity? Don’t think so. Don’t release a feature unless it’s well tested and ready for prime time. And a new feature doesn’t work right, they should be all over it like flies on dung!

·
Registered
133 Posts
So just because other manufacturers have similar issues, we are just supposed to accept mediocrity? Don’t think so. Don’t release a feature unless it’s well tested and ready for prime time. And a new feature doesn’t work right, they should be all over it like flies on dung!
I felt after the 4th model year Honda would have their act together on the Honda sensing, but as everyone can see they didn't. so we have to deal with it best we can..... Too bad we can't get reimbursed for what we paid for that doesn't work...... If we did you can bet it would be fixed in very short order......

1 - 20 of 60 Posts