Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt want to bump an old thread, but has anyone else been able to confirm the water fording depth of the Passports? Jondz mentions going through 26" successfully with his 3" lift.

Our friends at the ridgeline forum found this cool image that I guess is supposed to show that the differential breather tube is a ways from the diff - which Jondz mentions in the above thread.

It seems the pilot forum folks dont have much either.

So we know about the differential breather. Are there any other powertrain parts that aren't sealed?

I remember my clutch acting funny after I drove the mitsubishi mirage through ~2ft of water. Trucks and SUVs were sitting on the side of the road as they watched me successfully go through. :rolleyes: I was only confident because the intake is literally on top of the engine and I kept it on 1st doing like 2mph.

Reactions: Chief65

· Registered
907 Posts
I have a feeling Honda didn't make provisions for fording water with the Passport, the owner's manual has multiple warnings to avoid driving through flooded roads, streams and deep water. Judging from my own perusal of the internal structure of the Passport, water that gets to wheel height or that enters the cabin could also damage several electrical components that are placed low or near the floor. The SRS unit, amplifier, some of the keyless entry antennas and cross traffic radar are all placed low.enough to be damaged by water that gains entry into the vehicle or rises to the level of the wheel well.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably wouldn't go deeper than 15 inches of water like half way up the wheel and even that is a bit risky.
On the TT, I've taught the wife that if she can't see the top of the curb (generally about 5-8") to not go through.

I'd be disappointed if the mirage is better at swimming than the Passport. I guess I'll check in when the opportunity arises. There was some storms that passed through the area yesterday so I was getting prepared to see high waters. Thankfully, since we haven't gotten much rain, everything seemed to have receded by the time it was time for the commute home.

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
225 Posts
Over the years I have learned to not go through any kind of moving or standing water that I have not seen someone else go through first.

Also to note is when you get to the dashboard where ECU/PCM is located the vehicle dies. Does not matter what you have.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over the years I have learned to not go through any kind of moving or standing water that I have not seen someone else go through first.
Agreed. I also do this before going in. Unless I know the road/area enough to use visual cues from the road or surroundings.

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
225 Posts
Here is what was left of my best friends Jeep a few years back traversing a river in OK. He was in a group and the only one who did not make it. The serious mud and water guys add potting epoxy to all the electronics. As soon as water hit the dash it died. It ended up being stepped away. I am reminded of this every time someone mentions water crossings.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: ares and JLH

· Registered
59 Posts
For a moment there last night I thought I was still mistakenly checking out my 2020 Defender forum. I highly doubt for 43k Honda is overbuilding this to wade through much of anything. There's a lot that goes into that. The Passport is cool and all and it has decent off-road potential but it's not intended to be ticking these kinds of boxes. It's a chopped off pilot which itself is just really a mommy SUV though they are making an effort this year to do better with a trailsport pilot that kind of thing comes with a price. Passport/Trailsport will keep getting better but for stuff like fording potential I think at least in the immediate future you'll be much better served looking at other brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts