Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,109 Posts
I had TSB 20-058 performed at dealership in mid November 2020 (replaced FAKRA connectors). Flew to Florida January 5th (snowbirds) so Passport sat in garage from January till April 20th on battery tender. First drive and speaker cracking was back. Extended warranty isn’t that good, it tells me I better dump Passport before five years. I’ve been a Honda owner for thirty five years and this is my last one. Traded a 2012 Pilot in on Passport and now I wish I had it back.

I also think that the proficiency of the Tech doing the fix comes into play, after reading the complex steps involved with the proper execution of TSB 20-058, I waited and made sure the one who did my was VERY expereinced and I have NOT have one snap, crackle or pop since....!

Reactions: P-A-N-D-A

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
I also think that the proficiency of the Tech doing the fix comes into play, after reading the complex steps involved with the proper execution of TSB 20-058, I waited and made sure the one who did my was VERY expereinced and I have NOT have one snap, crackle or pop since....!
Btw - I can’t recall you mentioning it or not, did you have any snap, crackles or pops before you went in for the recall? I’ve got one more recall until I take mine to Westminster Honda...hopefully it’s after I can drive again!

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,109 Posts
Btw - I can’t recall you mentioning it or not, did you have any snap, crackles or pops before you went in for the recall? I’ve got one more recall until I take mine to Westminster Honda...hopefully it’s after I can drive again!

not at first, but it did start happening, plus the system resetting or even shutting off..

after the fix, it's been perfect!

yes, Honda World Westminster, they did my oil change the other day for $44.95 and replaced by Battery under warranty with a more powerful one, if you call ask for Service Advisor Kasra, he took good care of me.

And if you are getting a low battery light (which I have never gotten) better to have it checked and possible replaced during your warranty period...

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
not at first, but it did start happening, plus the system resetting or even shutting off..

after the fix, it's been perfect!

yes, Honda World Westminster, they did my oil change the other day for $44.95 and replaced by Battery under warranty with a more powerful one, if you call ask for Service Advisor Kasra, he took good care of me.

And if you are getting a low battery light (which I have never gotten) better to have it checked and possible replaced during your warranty period...
Good to know and I’ll make a note on Kasra. I still haven had any Rice Krispie moments.
Yeah, I will be going there vs the one by me that I can walk home from if I get another recall or if my Passport won’t start because of the battery. I will hopefully get it started if I am cleared to drive after my 5/4 knee dr appointment. I’m starting to run out of groceries again even though I ordered a bunch of food online 2 weeks ago...

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
60 Posts

Taaadaaaaaaa……I’m not a happy person right now. It’s going to the dealer in a few weeks for the continuous steering and seat vibrations, so I’ll add this to the list. Transmission also clicks when upshifting and downshifting. When upshifting, it mostly happens when I give it a good amount of gas. But when downshifting, it happens whenever it feels like it. What a piece of junk. Thought Honda would be quality, but I might be going back to VW. I never had issues with their cars and they’re much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my 2020 Passport in on 6/4/21 for this problem and the part has been backordered since then with no ETA. Meanwhile crackling is daily and now my entire audio system shuts off at will and can only be fixed if I shut down my car and system and turn it back on. It is a daily crapshoot to how many times this will happen in a trip.

Honda says there's nothing they can do. This is not what I bought a new car for. If it was a safety recal, they wouldn't let me be driving around. Any suggestions on next steps for me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my 2020 Passport in on 6/4/21 for this problem and the part has been backordered since then with no ETA. Meanwhile crackling is daily and now my entire audio system shuts off at will and can only be fixed if I shut down my car and system and turn it back on. It is a daily crapshoot to how many times this will happen in a trip.

Honda says there's nothing they can do. This is not what I bought a new car for. If it was a safety recal, they wouldn't let me be driving around. Any suggestions on next steps for me?
The only thing you can do is call the local Honda dealers parts departments, not service, as often as you can to check the inventory of the Fakra connectors. Honda or Honda dealers will not call you because it is a first come first serve on the parts because of the supposed shortage. I assume the dealers are not making a list and calling you when the parts are in is because it is so random to get inventory and the dealer probably isn't making much money on this. Especially compared to $75 oil changes.

Call as many as you can for as far as you are willing to drive to get it repaired. What I found, if you just call service for the parts, they don't even seem to actually check inventory because of the back order and the rarity of having them in stock. They just say we don't have them. I started calling parts departments and would get real answers. I think it is 4 of the Fakra connectors you need so make sure they have enough in stock.

It took me about a month of calling about 8 dealerships around Dallas/Ft. Worth. I probably called each dealer twice a week when I thought about it and finally hit the jackpot yesterday and got the fix. Mine was exactly like yours but worse because even shutting the car off wouldn't fix it sometimes. Only 1 day in but the fix seems to have worked so far. knock on wood fingers crossed

FYI- The Honda service bulletin for a 2019 Passport Touring is 21-012. Not sure if it is the same for all Passports but for your reference. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite AWD - Modern Steel Metallic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Ugh I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Out of curiosity, what was the assembly/manufacture date on your car? Our 2020 was built in August of 2020 and we've had no issues (we're around 6000 miles right now), so I'm trying to discern if the car was built with the new connectors or not (and if I should possibly be looking forward to having this issue someday).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing you can do is call the local Honda dealers parts departments, not service, as often as you can to check the inventory of the Fakra connectors. Honda or Honda dealers will not call you because it is a first come first serve on the parts because of the supposed shortage. I assume the dealers are not making a list and calling you when the parts are in is because it is so random to get inventory and the dealer probably isn't making much money on this. Especially compared to $75 oil changes.

Call as many as you can for as far as you are willing to drive to get it repaired. What I found, if you just call service for the parts, they don't even seem to actually check inventory because of the back order and the rarity of having them in stock. They just say we don't have them. I started calling parts departments and would get real answers. I think it is 4 of the Fakra connectors you need so make sure they have enough in stock.

It took me about a month of calling about 8 dealerships around Dallas/Ft. Worth. I probably called each dealer twice a week when I thought about it and finally hit the jackpot yesterday and got the fix. Mine was exactly like yours but worse because even shutting the car off wouldn't fix it sometimes. Only 1 day in but the fix seems to have worked so far. knock on wood fingers crossed

FYI- The Honda service bulletin for a 2019 Passport Touring is 21-012. Not sure if it is the same for all Passports but for your reference. Good Luck!
Thank you. I called a different dealer today and talked to someone in parts, but all I was told was "I heard about that. Yea, those are on backorder." It was clear that he didnt look anything up. I will try as many dealers as I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you. I called a different dealer today and talked to someone in parts, but all I was told was "I heard about that. Yea, those are on backorder." It was clear that he didnt look anything up. I will try as many dealers as I can.
Give them that SB # and ask them nicely to look closer once they actually have the part numbers. I got lucky with the parts person yesterday. She owned a Passport with the same problem so she knew exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ugh I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Out of curiosity, what was the assembly/manufacture date on your car? Our 2020 was built in August of 2020 and we've had no issues (we're around 6000 miles right now), so I'm trying to discern if the car was built with the new connectors or not (and if I should possibly be looking forward to having this issue someday).
I am not sure of the assembly date, sorry. But, I purchased it in May 2020. I actually reported it within a few months of purchasing it, but of course, it wasn't happening when it was in the shop, so they paid me no mind. It was still occasional at that point. Once the letter came out, it was still occasional, so easy to let time slip by. Now it gets worse by the day.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts