Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Passport Touring with just over 2,800 km on the odometer and have had it for about a month now.

Since purchasing the vehicle there has been a high pitched whistling noise that comes from the vent fans in both heating and cooling modes, including in Auto mode. The noise is only at certain fan speeds, near the top of the fan speed settings. The noise is easily reproduced.

I thought I would give it some time to resolve itself since the system was brand new, but now suspect that it will not go away.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had the same sound as described when the blower motor speed is either on the highest or second highest setting. Not too sure why it’s so loud but would be nice to know as it is a little annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue on my 2019 Sport AWD. The noise is getting especially loud now that the mornings have been colder. Replaced blower motor last week and it was not the issue. So--sadly, my car has been sitting at the Honda Dealership for over a week and they have no idea what is causing it. They are waiting for Master Technicians from AHM to get in touch with them to help them troubleshoot it. I know it is not the biggest deal but it has gotten so loud and high pitched it is almost unbearable; especially on windy mornings when it makes it even louder with each gust of wind that hits the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2019 Passport Touring with just over 2,800 km on the odometer and have had it for about a month now.

Since purchasing the vehicle there has been a high pitched whistling noise that comes from the vent fans in both heating and cooling modes, including in Auto mode. The noise is only at certain fan speeds, near the top of the fan speed settings. The noise is easily reproduced.

I thought I would give it some time to resolve itself since the system was brand new, but now suspect that it will not go away.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am hearing a slight whistle noise also. Keep us posted if there is a resolution.
Thanks Much
Owner of Passport Touring.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seems like if I take the heat out of auto mode and just have it blowing out of the lower level it is not as bad. I wonder if the vent chamber is designed bad and there are too many bends and that is causing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also hearing it but it’s intermittent and on lower fan speeds. Kind of a metallic whistle sound

·
Super Moderator
997 Posts
Are your seat vents on? They are very loud and mostly useless.
Or your backseat vents? That is also a bit loud.

I had this happen in my first week.
At first I thought a door was open and the sensor was bad - Nope.
Window or moon roof open - Nope.

Turned out it was my seat vent and my hydroflask was blocking the light so I didn’t see it.
Drove me crazy! 🤪

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same whistling sound. The dealer supposedly tried fixing twice with no luck. So frustrated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me too...it’s driving me insane. Dealership replaced a blower and said they fixed it, but no luck. It’s tolerable at fan speed three max. Fan speed four and above are not even an option to use in my Passport at this point. I’ll have to take it in to dealership again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too...it’s driving me insane. Dealership replaced a blower and said they fixed it, but no luck. It’s tolerable at fan speed three max. Fan speed four and above are not even an option to use in my Passport at this point. I’ll have to take it in to dealership again.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
They supposedly replaced my heater box as well and I’m having the same issue as you. I can use my heat up to level 3 then the whistle is annoying. Also having issues with sound of air coming from drivers side. They couldn’t fix this either. I’m thinking about trying to bring to another Honda dealer n

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me too. We’ve bought a lot of new Honda’s and never heard this before. It’s on the passenger side, mode doesn’t matter, heat or air doesn’t matter, fresh air opened or closed doesn’t matter. The moment I turn the speed up to four - it instantly starts up.
Two techs heard it right away when they got in, so I don’t see why they acted like it’s fixed. I needed my car back, so I had to leave with it, but will likely give another dealership a shot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This morning I stepped out of the passport when the heater was on high and i noticed the whistle also out there. Could the sound be coming from a belt or something? Since I don't know much about engines I am just throwing it out there as something I noticed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had it at the dealer from Monday to yesterday afternoon for this and a hitch install (parts on back-order from purchase). They called me on Tuesday to ask about the sound because they could not reproduce it. I explained that it was 100% reproducible at higher fans speeds (at least the top two, and when the auto function kicks the fan into high-speed). They called back later and said yes they found the issue and replaced the blower motor.
I picked up the vehicle yesterday afternoon and as soon as the fan speed came up, so did the high pitched sound. I returned immediately and the service adviser called the tech up so I could demonstrate. The tech said "my hearing is that great, I can't hear anything", so they got another tech and I demonstrated the issue, showing that it occurs in all configurations and heat levels. The only thing I couldn't really demonstrate was with AC on because it is cold here in northern Ontario.
He said they had replaced a few blower motors on the 2019 Passports and Pilots and it resolved the problem. They are going to call their tech hot-line to figure out where to go next.
To answer a few of the poster's questions, it is definitely not coming from the seat vents, not from the engine compartment either. If not the blower motor (obvious at this point), I would guess Warren83 is probably on the right track with a duct system design issue or some obstruction in there causing the whistling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder if there is a schematic of the air passage/channel. Would be interesting to see if there are sharp bends or any narrowing of the passage.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What I find interesting in all these reported problems is they are not duplicated across the entire spectrum; I would expect a mass produced product to consistantly have the same flaws.

The single anomoly that I have experienced is the brake warning light with (some) approaching traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been notified by the dealer that they have a fix for the noise issue. Unfortunately, parts are on back order. Fingers crossed.
I was told by the dealer that Honda has recognized that this is an issue in 2019 Passports and 2020 Pilots.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts