Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Passport Elite Obsidian Blue Pearl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this is a dumb question and it may be answered somewhere else in the forums but here goes. So I have AT&T wireless unlimited and am weighing whether the Vehicle Hotspot WIFI adds any benefit to me over using my phone’s wireless hotspot. We recently drove our Passport to Boulder from Ohio and then back so I tried it because my wife was working on her laptop much of the time. She used the service but for 20 bucks a month I don’t really see how it’s giving me better connectivity than the phone‘s hotspot. We are empty nesters so not a lot of video demands in the vehicle any longer when we travel. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have decent hotspot options on your phone that is a great alternative! One thing about hotspots (at least with every model I have used over the last multiple years) is that hotspot destroys the phone battery, you’ll have to keep that sucker plugged in!

It’s more of a convenience / extra layer of convenience, with modern tech and cell phone plans being so data Oriented now a days (I am not even sure if any plan is offered w/o hotspot anymore). Personally I have only used the onboard auto hotspot when on longer trips with a ton of people in my truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have decent hotspot options on your phone that is a great alternative! One thing about hotspots (at least with every model I have used over the last multiple years) is that hotspot destroys the phone battery, you’ll have to keep that sucker plugged in!

It’s more of a convenience / extra layer of convenience, with modern tech and cell phone plans being so data Oriented now a days (I am not even sure if any plan is offered w/o hotspot anymore). Personally I have only used the onboard auto hotspot when on longer trips with a ton of people in my truck.
Thanks so much for the response. You’ve convinced me that I’m pretty much duplicating service I already have.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Having never used AT&T's hotspot in our Passport I can't really speak to how much or if it's better than using your phone's hotspot. That said, if you have a reliable provider with reliable service everywhere you travel there is no reason I can see to pay out an additional $20 each month for a service you're already paying for, especially when the phone works so well. That may vary from one carrier to the next, but the hotspot with Verizon works very well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having never used AT&T's hotspot in our Passport I can't really speak to how much or if it's better than using your phone's hotspot. That said, if you have a reliable provider with reliable service everywhere you travel there is no reason I can see to pay out an additional $20 each month for a service you're already paying for, especially when the phone works so well. That may vary from one carrier to the next, but the hotspot with Verizon works very well.
Thanks for this response as well. That’s pretty much the conclusion that I’ve come to. It sounds cool but in the end it’s duplicating a service and costing me extra money.

Reactions: JLH
1 - 6 of 6 Posts