Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2020 PP does the VCM feature only activate in ECO Mode or is it constantly on ? I have noticed what feels like a light engine skip in around town driving, is that the VCM engaging ? I'm barely getting 19 mpg in town so I'm wondering if it is even functioning....

Thanks !!

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is never constantly on. VCM no matter what mode you are in VCM will only kick in when the appropriate parameters have been reached. This is a good explanation of VCM.

·
Registered
497 Posts
VCM is always operating in the background as designed unless you have a defeat device. VCM characteristics I've experienced over the years with my Accord and Ridgeline are a sensation and noise of driving over rumble strips or a slight vibration by the gas pedal. I'm not sure if these sensations are from the engine or from the torque converter clutch on the transmission. In my Ridgeline VCM was barely noticeable to me much different than my Accord. There is so much stuff on the internet about VCM you could read about it for years. IMO, it's not much of an issue anymore. The days of the Pilot lawsuit are over but it's up to you do draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This noise you described "noise of driving over rumble strips or a slight vibration " sounds similar to what people are reporting as noise attributed to the transmission when they equip the cooler. Some of the shifts seem to accompany a sound like that based on other reports on the forum.https://www.passportforums.com/threads/transmission-cooler-issues.5631/page-2#post-49344

This makes me wonder is it the transmission or the VCM? Or the VCM affecting the transmission so it shifts and makes the noise...or...

I am now sitting with my popcorn awaiting people to test and respond.

I don't have the transmission cooler, but I'll go out and see if I can get the VCM to make said noise.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The ONLY time I have "noise of driving over rumble strips or a slight vibration " is at the 7-8 shift at around 45mph. I have a 2019 Touring AWD with the tranny cooler. Honda says the noise is normal for PPs with tranny coolers. If it was VCM related wouldn't it make the noise under various different conditions ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There doesn't seem to be a set pattern for this condition (for me) but it seems to occur at lower speeds I think. I don't do a lot of highway but I haven't felt anything noteworthy there when I do. I've only put 2K on so far though. Still early in the game...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Felt/heard it for first time on Saturday (doesn't mean it did not happen before). 45 km/h,. slight downgrade, off throttle. Not sure if transmission shift or VCM. Could not repeat. Transmission was in 4 or 5 at time. Only lasted about a second. Very similar to running over grooved pavement strip for the sound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I'll throw my two cents in the hat and point out that part of that whole Pilot/Ody lawsuit was that the VCM was ruining torque converters..."Feeling excess vibration"...yeah, I purchased mine. I'm thinking extremely intermittent usage != meaningful gas savings which means that preventing transmission issues is going to be a priority...strongly considering a muzzler.

·
Premium Member
2019 Passport Elite
166 Posts
It would seem that a VCMTUNER or something similar would be a wise buy if planning to keep the Passport long term.
I don't like the idea of cylinders getting too much oil ..... or plugs fouling.

·
Registered
867 Posts
With 15k miles on my PP I have never felt the VCM kick in. Recently, thanks to Gray Beard, I got the ScanGauge II codes for the VCM solenoid. The ScanGauge II shows VCM is is either Off or On. With my PP in regular "D" mode, it never showed VCM "On" under various driving conditions. However, I tried turning Econ on and now the ScanGauge II shows the VCM coming on during what I would describe as "cruising" situations. I still do not feel it kicking in though. I still reverted back to driving with Econ off though because of the sluggish response. VCM does engage for me when Econ is off.

·
Registered
867 Posts
With 15k miles on my PP I have never felt the VCM kick in. Recently, thanks to Gray Beard, I got the ScanGauge II codes for the VCM solenoid. The ScanGauge II shows VCM is is either Off or On. With my PP in regular "D" mode, it never showed VCM "On" under various driving conditions. However, I tried turning Econ on and now the ScanGauge II shows the VCM coming on during what I would describe as "cruising" situations. I still do not feel it kicking in though. I still reverted back to driving with Econ off though because of the sluggish response. VCM does engage for me when Econ is off.
I should have VCM does NOT engage for me when Econ is off!

·
Registered
497 Posts
In my Accord, VCM is quite dreadful during the winter months. In light throttle situations it shakes pretty bad but there's no denying the MPG's. I think all this VCM bashing is BS. The current VCM is different. I doubt I'll have any ill effects from it before I get rid of the Accord. I could hardly detect it in my Ridgeline and the PP is still too new to detect anything yet. VCM has always been a mystery to me. I don't know if what I'm feeling is the the torque converter clutch (slight vibration in gas pedal) or the vibrations from the 3 cylinder operation itself. Also, I'm curious if VCM comes on more or less with the 9 speed vs the 6 speed. I think the PP is so heavy that it doesn't come on much driving in town, maybe during light throttle at 40 mph or so but not for long. I once had an 08 Odyssey (non VCM) and it got about the same mileage as the Passport for the driving I do. I just assume the PP is a big, wide and heavy beast that will use gas. On paper when Hybrids can match the current performance in these heavier SUV's it will be a no brainer. It already that way for the RAV4. If they could keep the Prime in stock and be available for 40k, wow I'd probably try one.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite AWD
123 Posts
Wow, I think the noise I've been hearing at times is this and I thought it was a flapping mud flap that was getting hit by the wind a certain way. Going to pay closer attention!

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
869 Posts
I've had my vcm kick on around ~30 mph, but noticed it kicks on more whenever going on a slope down hill.
k

Reactions: CrzRani

·
Registered
6 Posts
Apologies for bringing back this thread, I have been reading for last couple of hours and am ready to go with the VCMTUNER II. Is there a comparison between the VCMTUNER II and the S-VCM CONTROLLER? There is a price difference between the two and I'm wondering if one works better than the other. Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the vcm tuner ii and it's great.
On a cool engine, I installed it. I only connected +12v to the vcm tuner ii's red wire.
I'm always running on 6 cylinders.
Maybe someone else has the s-vcm controller.

Reactions: alexv1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to the passport, just bought a 2021 Elite. I just did a 150 mile highway run today and so far I cannot hear or feel the VCM kicking in at any speed. I had a 2019 Ridgeline and at 75mph the VCM was unbearable. I installed the S-VCM and it solved that issue!

Back to the Passport. I was thinking I would have to install the S-VMC right away. But so far I have not noticed it at all. Has anyone confirmed if the VCM stays off when the ECON button is off as someone mentioned previously in this thread?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts