Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know what VCM is and how it works (plenty of information on the internet).
From this website:
https://hondanews.com/releases/2019-honda-passport-press-kit
"During startup, aggressive acceleration, or steep ascents – any time high power output is required – the engine operates on all six cylinders. During moderate-speed cruising and at low or moderate engine loads, the system operates just the front bank of three cylinders."
I take it that there's no way to tell when this is happening other than having a very acute sense to notice a slight change in engine vibration. Has the activation of Variable Cylinder Management been noticeable to you?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've never noticed it. I think thats a good thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would assume that our nice deep engine tone that comes out of our exhaust tip goes silent when running on 3 cylinders.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
355 Posts
I drove a Suburban for a while that had this feature. GM put an indicator on the dash to tell you how many cylinders you were running at any one time. You never felt a change. That made you feel better before you dumped $100 worth of gas into the piggy. It was a company car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hopefully it stays quiet! I had a '16 Pilot that after about 20,00 miles you got a weird vibration and noise when VCM was switching. I REALLY hope that doesn't start in the Passport.

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully it stays quiet! I had a '16 Pilot that after about 20,00 miles you got a weird vibration and noise when VCM was switching. I REALLY hope that doesn't start in the Passport.
Perhaps the active motor mounts which are designed to reduce the engine vibration were wearing out or faulty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perhaps the active motor mounts which are designed to reduce the engine vibration were wearing out or faulty.
Very well could have been - I had dealer look at and nothing was wrong supposedly. :( I traded it in when I got the Passport so don't have to worry about it anymore!:) LOVE the Passport WAAAAAAY more than the Pilot!:love:

·
Registered
892 Posts
My 2012 Pilot Touring had a green "ECON" light that would light up when I was driving at low RPM's. Was that the indication of the VCM kicking in?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, there is no indicator when the VCM is activated. I wish there was as it would be interesting to know when it is active.

From page 474 of the Passport manual:
The ECON button turns the ECON mode on
and off. The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel
economy by adjusting the performance of the
engine, air conditioning system, and cruise
control.
While in ECON mode, the climate control system has
greater temperature fluctuations.

·
Registered
892 Posts
No, there is no indicator when the VCM is activated. I wish there was as it would be interesting to know when it is active.

From page 474 of the Passport manual:
The ECON button turns the ECON mode on
and off. The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel
economy by adjusting the performance of the
engine, air conditioning system, and cruise
control.
While in ECON mode, the climate control system has
greater temperature fluctuations.
Thanks. I've had my PP a month now and I've not yet activated the "Econ" system/button. It's one of the few features to still try out.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't even thought about activating the Econ. I like the peppier engine performance. Now that the topic has come up I'll give Econ a try to see what its like. My brother has a 2017 Ridgeline and says he uses Econ mode all the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are multiple threads on the Pilot sites regarding VCM issues. I dont see any issues later than the 17 Ridgeline. Confirmed also on the CRV forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't even thought about activating the Econ. I like the peppier engine performance. Now that the topic has come up I'll give Econ a try to see what its like. My brother has a 2017 Ridgeline and says he uses Econ mode all the time.
When I use the Econ button, the driving dynamics of my Passport feel very similar to the VW Tiguan that I test drove a few times while I was shopping.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I grew to dislike the VCM real quick. I didn't like the results when driving around town on 40, 45, and 50 mph boulevards with traffic lights .5 mi. apart. It would give the sensation of the CC being engaged, floating, gliding. I could let up on the throttle 150 - 200 ft. before a light and it wouldn't slow down. I installed the S-VCM and it responds more normal now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went on a short road trip this weekend (about 300 miles). On my way home I was driving in to the wind. I had my cruise set at 82mph (SD interstate speed limit is 80) and my RPMs were all over the place. I would be driving on relatively flat ground and all of the sudden my PP would feel like it downshifted and jolt forward, then after a few seconds it would shift back and my RPMs would drop. Also I never use econ mode.

With that said, I have a few questions:
1. Do you think these were really shifts I was feeling or is that the VCM kicking in? This is the first 6 cylinder Honda that I have had so I am not familiar with how the VCM would feel.
2. Is it more probable that driving a large square box down the road at 80 into the wind be the cause of my problems?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I am just trying to understand how the VCM would feel

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you are feeling real downshifts. I spend the majority of my driving time on the highway in cruise control, and I feel the downshifts you describe as well (but no lurch to speak of). It happens in mine when going up hills (even mild grade). It seems like the engine is downshifting from 9th gear so it can maintain the set cruise control speed. I have had two other Honda V6 vehicles equipped with VCM, and in those cars, the effect of VCM engaging and disengaging was extremely pronounced (particularly during disengage - not only did it feel like hard shifting and lurching, but also accompanied by a rough / shaking effect leading up to the disengage). In the Passport, I have been unable to detect when VCM engages or disengages.

A related behavior I have noticed in the Passport is if you set the cruise control speed while on a downhill, it seems like it takes a couple seconds for the vehicle to adjust to the cruise control setting, and there is a very subtle rocking, like the vehicle weight quickly shifting forward and backward, similar to the affect if you were rapidly and lightly tapping on the gas pedal a couple times. Then it settles down and is smooth. It's as if rather than simply coasting through the downgrade, the vehicle briefly can't determine if it should be using throttle or brakes or what gear it should be in to maintain the configured speed. Side note: I do not use adaptive cruise control; the behavior described here is in traditional cruise control mode.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Point of reference. Watched the tachometer on the ride home from work. When the car is cruising at 70-72mph, the tach hovers at ~1.75k in 9th gear. When it downshifts to 8th gear to maintain speed, the tach jumps up and hovers at just a hair over 2k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts