Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
I just upgraded the door speakers to the Infinity Reference REF-6532EX 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers at $74.95 a pair. I run music through my phone for XM, Pandora and Itunes. The factory speakers were missing a lot of mid range almost muted, I actually thought I was losing some of my hearing. With the new Infinity's replacing the door speakers front and back, there is great mid range and some additional thump on the bass side. Easy swap out and I recommend it highly especially if you like clean, crisp volume.

I just upgraded the door speakers to the Infinity Reference REF-6532EX 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers at $74.95 a pair. I run music through my phone for XM, Pandora and Itunes. The factory speakers were missing a lot of mid range almost muted, I actually thought I was losing some of my hearing. With the new Infinity's replacing the door speakers front and back, there is great mid range and some additional thump on the bass side. Easy swap out and I recommend it highly especially if you like clean, crisp volume.
I am just getting ready to upgrade the speakers in my Touring model Passport so I have some questions for Coojo & storm3 regarding their speaker upgrades - especially regarding the rear door speakers.
I plan on directly replacing the front lower door 6.5" & tweeter into their current locations with some high end Hertz Mille Pro Comp MPK 165.3 that I removed from a CRV that I traded in to purchase my Passport Touring.
My questions concern the rear speaker upgrade.
What model Passport do you have?
Was your rear door speaker a 2/way Coax?
Did you install Tweeters anywhere in the rear?
*(The Infinity 6532ex are coax with tweeters built in)
In my Touring model, the rear 6.5" is in the lower door with 3.1" speakers in the columns in the trunks area.
Since I have not looked yet, is the Touring door 6.5" a 2/way coax type?
Are the 3.1" speakers in the trunks area "tweeters" connected to the 6.5" speaker in the door (to play high end)?
Or are they separate from the 6.5" in the rear door & therefore reproducing sound separately on their own?
Your input & information will be greatly appreciated.

I am just getting ready to upgrade the speakers in my Touring model Passport so I have some questions for Coojo & storm3 regarding their speaker upgrades - especially regarding the rear door speakers.
I plan on directly replacing the front lower door 6.5" & tweeter into their current locations with some high end Hertz Mille Pro Comp MPK 165.3 that I removed from a CRV that I traded in to purchase my Passport Touring.
In my Touring model, the rear 6.5" is in the lower door with 3.1" speakers in the columns in the trunks area.
Are the 3.1" speakers in the trunks area "tweeters" connected to the 6.5" speaker in the door (to play high end)?
Or are they separate from the 6.5" in the rear door & therefore reproducing sound separately on their own?

Hello Dhlzr2019,

I recently upgraded the (8) front & rear speakers in my Touring model and addressed most all of your concerns in a thread titled: "The Elite/Touring Stereo Upgrade Thread" located in the Audio & Stereo Forum (here on the Passport Forum site): https://www.passportforums.com/threads/the-elite-touring-stereo-upgrade-thread.3304/#post-31086

Check it out if you like and ask me any questions you may have in that thread...

Cheers!

Touring here also.

The stock door speakers are all full range single drivers without bass blocking caps, they are not coax. They operate either without crossover, or might be done inside the head unit or stock amp. Adding coax to the front and leaving stock tweeters really cleaned up the sound stage and added crispness and clarity and bit more fullness to the highs and mids, and the bass was also clearer and stayed about as strong as stock speakers (stock are efficient but muddy). I added the same Infinity coax to front and the rear doors, and at first thought the treble might be too much in the rear location, but got used to it quick and it is not. For passengers in the rear it is clearer sounding there too now. The rear doors get a low power from the amp for some reason, almost as fill, so I actually balance a couple ticks to the rear and that also boost rear fill and stock sub in relation to the brighter front stage. The far rear 3.1" are probably full range with a blocking cap, I never removed them to look. They play high range and mids very well due to their small size and seem to roll off anything below low mids or very high midbass. Still not tweeters, but they are clear enough for fill and definitely more responsive than the stock rear doors in the highs.

Most best sounding stereos provide adequate side and rear fill with central focus on soundstage up front, and that seems to be how this system was designed.I don't like a lot of strong highrange sound from behind, as the sound stage should be focused up front directionally.

Also, disable ANC and DTS Neural is a must to get the system to sound clean and provide max power to each speaker with the stock amps.

I'm sure you are going to amplify those Hertz with a new amp? They seem needy for power, although fairly efficient at 92dB they are 4ohms and stock system is 2. I'd expect significant volume drop with speakers that want that much RMS power and double the impedance. The stock tweeters aren't terrible but if you can install I'm sure your components will be better.

Hello Dhlzr2019,

I recently upgraded the (8) front & rear speakers in my Touring model and addressed most all of your concerns in a thread titled: "The Elite/Touring Stereo Upgrade Thread" located in the Audio & Stereo Forum (here on the Passport Forum site): https://www.passportforums.com/threads/the-elite-touring-stereo-upgrade-thread.3304/#post-31086

Check it out if you like and ask me any questions you may have in that thread...

Cheers!
Fantastic information
Couple of additional questions:
Am I correct to assume that your speaker upgrade did NOT require that you disable ANC?
Since you went from 2 ohm stock/wimpy speakers to 4 ohm upgrade speakers have you heard a noticable decrease in power/loudness?

Dude, I am sorry, I never responded to your message, I don't recall seeing it. But I will now, in case it is still of interest to you or others/l

Am I correct to assume that your speaker upgrade did NOT require that you disable ANC?
I am not a huge "Bass" guy, and between the Focals and the existing Sub, I get all the bass I need, I do have it boosted a couple of clicks however!
ALSO: I cannot hear any difference when listening to music between when the car is off (DNC=Off) and running (DNC=On) otherwise I would go ahead and disconnect it.
It is MUST to disconnect if you are upgrading the Sub (which I didn't do).

Since you went from 2 ohm stock/wimpy speakers to 4 ohm upgrade speakers have you heard a noticeable decrease in power/loudness?
Nope, not a bit, think about a Home Receiver with 100 watts per channel (wpc), well typically it gets turned up 1/4 to a 1/2 and it is BLASTING, so the remaining watts are not even used. It's the same with the Passport stereo, it probably pumps out somewhere between 30-50 wpc @ 2ohms to the OEM speakers (which are built incredibly cheap) and since many of the Focal speakers have a 6 watts minimum input, they are VERY efficient, even at 4 ohms. Bottom line is I can turn the OEM head Unit & Amp up loud enough to attach the attention of law enforcement (lol) and they are SUPER clear and I highly recommend them...!

Dude, I am sorry, I never responded to your message, I don't recall seeing it. But I will now, in case it is still of interest to you or others/l

I am not a huge "Bass" guy, and between the Focals and the existing Sub, I get all the bass I need, I do have it boosted a couple of clicks however!
ALSO: I cannot hear any difference when listening to music between when the car is off (DNC=Off) and running (DNC=On) otherwise I would go ahead and disconnect it.
It is MUST to disconnect if you are upgrading the Sub (which I didn't do).

Nope, not a bit, think about a Home Receiver with 100 watts per channel (wpc), well typically it gets turned up 1/4 to a 1/2 and it is BLASTING, so the remaining watts are not even used. It's the same with the Passport stereo, it probably pumps out somewhere between 30-50 wpc @ 2ohms to the OEM speakers (which are built incredibly cheap) and since many of the Focal speakers have a 6 watts minimum input, they are VERY efficient, even at 4 ohms. Bottom line is I can turn the OEM head Unit & Amp up loud enough to attach the attention of law enforcement (lol) and they are SUPER clear and I highly recommend them...!
I have a question. I am trading my 2019 CRV for a 2020 Passport. I had installed Focal components in my CRV and love them. Is there an easy way to remove the A-pillar in the Passport to replace the stock tweeters?

I have a question. I am trading my 2019 CRV for a 2020 Passport. I had installed Focal components in my CRV and love them. Is there an easy way to remove the A-pillar in the Passport to replace the stock tweeters?
Welcome to the site, and best of luck on getting a Passport, I'm gonna assume you are looking at a Touring or Elite model, as those have the upgraded 540w stereo, if not you'll need a lot more than just the Focal upgrade.

Next, not sure if you saw my post in the Stereo Forum, but I had my Focals installed at a Car Stereo Shop and it was not cheap, labor was about $300 as I recall. They installed the Focal tweeters in the Existing locations in the A-Pillar and C-Pillars (see pics). They also had to run new wires from the Tweeters to the Crossovers, so it was a lot of work.

The C-Pillar Tweeters are mounted behind the factory cover, so they are hidden, while the A-Pillar Tweeters fit is the factory location, using the Focal covers:

Here is my link:

What Model Focals are in your CRV?

Welcome to the site, and best of luck on getting a Passport, I'm gonna assume you are looking at a Touring or Elite model, as those have the upgraded 540w stereo, if not you'll need a lot more than just the Focal upgrade.

Next, not sure if you saw my post in the Stereo Forum, but I had my Focals installed at a Car Stereo Shop and it was not cheap, labor was about $300 as I recall. They installed the Focal tweeters in the Existing locations in the A-Pillar and C-Pillars (see pics). They also had to run new wires from the Tweeters to the Crossovers, so it was a lot of work.

The C-Pillar Tweeters are mounted behind the factory cover, so they are hidden, while the A-Pillar Tweeters fit is the factory location, using the Focal covers:

View attachment 6858

View attachment 6857

Here is my link:

What Model Focals are in your CRV?
Actually I am getting an EXL. My CRV was an ex with the base stereo and I just replaced them with Focals. I had to trim the stock tweeter mounts with no trouble . The sound improvement was amazing.

I installed components in the front and coax in the rear. I would upload a picture but it won't let me.

Make sure they are a small to medium size jpeg and use the "Insert Image" button below...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.