Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the speakers in the Elite, including the subwoofer to a known brand (Polk, Bose, etc.) Is an amplifier needed or does the head unit have enough juice?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't see the need to upgrade the speakers in my Elite, the audio system sounds really good to me.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Someone here upgraded their sub, you'll have to search for the thread, they bougt it from Amazon, but when I looked, it had way too many negative ratings for me. I am interested in upgrading the speakers, however no one seems to offer direct replacements. Years ago I swapped the speakers in my Prelude but kept the head unit and the sound was noticeably better, most all stock (OEM) speakers had small magnets and are constructed "just good enough"!

So as good as the Elite & Touring sound systems sound now, they would sound even better with better components without switching the head unit or amplifiers!

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an Elite.
I've upgraded the door speakers to Polk Audio coax units. Much better (IMO). The magnets on the factory cheap plastic (never saw a fully plastic speaker before) speakers were a joke.. the size of a quarter and the sound produced from them wasn't the cleanest. The polks were much better, and were on sale on Crutchfield. Now I need to upgrade the sub. Subs are a little more costly..unless you want an exposed ugly box in the back, (I don't) ... so that upgrade will be for next year.

Reactions: Mikebones

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry I can't. I tried going on Crutchfield.com to look it up and the model number of the speakers are no longer in my account. There are so many good choices to choose from. I bought what was recommended after explaining what I wanted. I recommend you do the same! Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I can't. I tried going on Crutchfield.com to look it up and the model number of the speakers are no longer in my account. There are so many good choices to choose from. I bought what was recommended after explaining what I wanted. I recommend you do the same! Good luck.

Were they easy to install?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes. the hardest part is taking the door panels off and that wasn't very difficult at all. They pretty much are held on with 1 or 2 screws and pop off. All you have to do is disconnect 2 small wiring harness for the windows and LED back lighting on the doors. I also installed KilMat sound deadening mat (Amazon) on the inner door skin. Vehicle is super quiet now, even more so than before. If you go through Crutchfield for the speakers, they will advise to put "cups" / foam enclosures for the speakers as well. They worked well and were only a few dollars. I'm very happy with the noticeable improvement and it really was less than $100.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes. the hardest part is taking the door panels off and that wasn't very difficult at all. They pretty much are held on with 1 or 2 screws and pop off. All you have to do is disconnect 2 small wiring harness for the windows and LED back lighting on the doors. I also installed KilMat sound deadening mat (Amazon) on the inner door skin. Vehicle is super quiet now, even more so than before. If you go through Crutchfield for the speakers, they will advise to put "cups" / foam enclosures for the speakers as well. They worked well and were only a few dollars. I'm very happy with the noticeable improvement and it really was less than $100.
I think you purchased the Polk Audio DB 652

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you purchased the Polk Audio DB 652
Those are close, but are not the ones I installed. Like I said, I actually contacted an agent online on Crutchfield.com and told them what I wanted/expected and that I didn't want to spend a lot. Basically, I wanted the biggest bang for the buck.... they had some good recommendations. The ones I bought were around $39/pair, I bought 2 pair. They were "close-out" priced. (like 1/2 off or more from the original price) I tried finding an old box they came in, but I discarded them after install. I tried to go online to review my purchases from them but they do not (unlike an Amazon etc) hold your purchase records very long.
So I have no idea what model of Polk they were without taking vehicle apart and I'm not going to do that. All I know, is that I'm much happier with the sound now than what Honda provided from the factory.
I do feel as before as well, that the vehicle has almost too much bass (boomy), but even lowing the sub volume/input, I can't attain the sweet spot. I truly feel, it's just a cheap woofer with not a clean crisp low... so you get what you pay for sort of. No amount of adjusting will help.
It's much improved with the better door speakers because they brought better and cleaner mid-range and higher end without giving the "Crispies"...(sizzling highs that give you a headache) Vehicle still a little boomy as it was before, but I think a better (higher quality sub woofer) would help. The speakers I pulled out of the doors weighed nothing (almost no magnet) were a plastic joke. Terrible quality. Build for cheap/max profit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to try to help us out. It is very much appreciated. While I am pretty pleased with the sound in my Touring, you have given me plenty of " food for thought". I plan on calling Crutchfield. I have used them a few times in the past and have always made good recommendations. I especially like your idea of adding the matting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to try to help us out. It is very much appreciated. While I am pretty pleased with the sound in my Touring, you have given me plenty of " food for thought". I plan on calling Crutchfield. I have used them a few times in the past and have always made good recommendations. I especially like your idea of adding the matting. Thanks again.
Happy to help! I bought the sound deadening mat on Amazon. It was MUCH cheaper. Kilmat is the brand I used. Works as advertised.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't see the need to upgrade the speakers in my Elite, the audio system sounds really good to me.
I don't conisder myself an audio purist who has to have an automotive sound system with top of the line components (I've had systems like that in previous vehicles), but I'm surprised from the reports of factory speakers being made of plastic with small magnets having such good sound. I'm completely satisfied with the system in my Touring.

Reactions: cmz789

·
Registered
218 Posts
I understand.
I'm just offering my experience to those who may want to upgrade their audio and what I did. I do not want any of this to come across as our sound stinks in our vehicles and you need to fix it... it's doesn't, but for some of us, it can be improved greatly.
Sound is EXTREMELY subjective to each person. Coming from a background in Automotive sound I'm very judgmental on what was given to us (sold to us) as a "premium sound" system in our vehicles. What you enjoy listening to also plays a key roll in satisfaction.
In short... to each their own.... but always remember: Keep on rolling along and enjoying our Passports!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't conisder myself an audio purist who has to have an automotive sound system with top of the line components (I've had systems like that in previous vehicles), but I'm surprised from the reports of factory speakers being made of plastic with small magnets having such good sound. I'm completely satisfied with the system in my Touring.
One of the reasons, I'm sure is due to weight. Auto makers are always trying to get the lead out... with so much electronics / airbags and other options being loaded into our vehicles these days, everything weighs a lot! Back in the 1970's a fully loaded, very large Cadillac would tip the scales around 4,700 lbs... our Passports (much shorter/less sheet metal vehicle) weigh in at 4,300 lbs for an Touring/Elite. Even base vehicles are heavy... a 2018 Accord will weigh in at 3,300 - 3400 lbs. Hopefully this will put fuel economy in perspective... some on here complain about Passport's fuel economy vs. other previous "Honda Products" owned. Our Passports are some of the heaviest vehicles Honda makes... well over 1000 lbs over a sedan.
So that probably explains why Honda spec'd out "Plastic framed speakers". They weigh next to nothing. :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's really odd because when I go into my Crutchfield account, I can pull up orders I placed over 25 years ago!

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're special. That's why. On a serious note, I don't know why. Like I said at least twice now, it doesn't matter what I bought. I'd gladly tell you if I could. There are many choices.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm not doubting what you're saying, just that I think it's odd that some customers have the ability to pull up their Crutchfield purchase history while others apparently can't.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm perfectly happy with the sound system in my Passport, so it doesn't matter to me personally.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Maybe because he ordered the speakers over the phone vs on-line....

No biggie, my concern would be ordering speakers that fit the depth requirements, the correct ohm load and sensitivity...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was going to buy a 2020 Honda Ridgeline but a couple of weeks ago decided on a Passport Elite. I just bought the Passport a couple of days ago. One of my favorite online vendors is Crutchfield and when they have sales I have been buying audio devices from them over many years. They had a great sale on the Polk (another favorite of mine) speakers so I bought the DB652 coaxial speakers, two pairs at the beginning of summer for the Ridgeline. I was happy to find out they will fit in the Passport's front and rear doors. There is a small amount of cutting the back of the plastic speaker grills for proper fit. I also got the proper speaker mounting brackets and plug wiring connectors. I used this same model speakers on another truck I use to own and was happy with the result. If you buy them from Crutchfield you get a 56 page instruction pdf for the 2019 Honda Passport. If anyone decides to go this way the speaker mounting brackets are HSB524 and the connectors/wire harness is Metra 72-7800. I can not guarantee these products will fit/work until I do the install in the next few weeks. Also some on the forum may have already done it. If not I will try and start a new thread with pictures. I hope to sweep the response before and after but what really counts of course is if I like the sound. Since these are coaxial with a tweeter I will probably also replace one of the originals with a load resistor and sweep the amplifier to see if it is full range or were it rolls off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts