Honda Passport Forum banner

Updated thoughts after 5-6 months of ownership...

14K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  ProdGirl 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's update our opinions now that we have owned for a few months and put on some miles. My thoughts after 5+ months and 5,000 miles: STILL LOVE IT!!!!:love: I am really liking the Passport over my previous Pilot so much more!!!!!! First, I really like the sportier look of the Passport over the Pilot (one of my wishlist items for last few years of driving Pilots). Love the features, size (I don't need third row) but has keep good size cargo area, comfortable ride, handling and power. It is a much quieter ride with more comfortable seats. I was nervous about the 9 speed transmission, but I haven't had any problems. I really like the Sport mode transmission. I finally used it a few weeks ago going up Colorado mountain pass. It worked really well as the climb was steep and the speed limit was low so it kept the transmission in a lower gear without trying to keep shifting. Now that I have used it; I will be using it more often. There are a few small dislikes/annoyances but the cons definitely outweigh those. Hope everyone is enjoying their ride as much as I am!!!:)

#2 ·
I’m almost 3 months (4/13/19) after buying my Passport and still love it!
The only negatives I’ve found are the engine idle stop and all the piano black trim inside and out.

Reactions: Werlyb23 and Winsom
#3 ·
I've had my Passport for 4 months and after a nice 60 mile drive in the country today I realize how satisfied I am with it. Solid, smooth, quiet interior all make for a very pleasant and competent vehicle. The lane keeping assist practically steers itself through the gentle curves on a two lane country highway. Is it an "exciting" vehicle to drive? No, not really, but I have a fully restored 1967 Chevelle Malibu with a 350 CID 355 HP engine when I need that exciting feel. Overall I am extremely pleased with the Passport and expect to keep it for a good number of years.

#5 ·
Mine is now 4 months old, (about 2k miles) and I love driving it, I gasses up my wife's RX350 (Lexus) the other day and did not like the feel of it as much as the Passport...!

Really looking forward to my first camping trip to the High Sierras in September, I'll probably put about 700 miles on it, while getting to see it on the open road, some dirt roads and some elevation (8000+ feet)...!

Reactions: Werlyb23 and rls002
#6 ·
Mine is now 4 months old, (about 2k miles) and I love driving it, I gasses up my wife's RX350 (Lexus) the other day and did not like the feel of it as much as the Passport...!

Really looking forward to my first camping trip to the High Sierras in September, I'll probably put about 700 miles on it, while getting to see it on the open road, some dirt roads and some elevation (8000+ feet)...!
Don't forget to check your altimeter and let us know how high you got! ;)

#13 ·

Did you make it to Bodie yet? How about Bristlecone Pine Forest? My friend Dave is a ranger there. 11,000 feet just about.

#15 ·
Nope, not yet, my wife had a major operation and it kinda killed most of my camping opportunities, I'm hoping tp do Bishop over the Columbus Day weekend in October, anyone interested in meeting up there?

Reactions: rls002
#7 ·
Coming up on 5 months and almost 1,800 miles on it. Very pleased with it BUT I must confess. I really miss not having a 360 camera like we had on our 17 Nissan Maxima Platinum. I also miss soft padding on the side console where you rest your leg. Nothing but hard plastic. Even the Accord Touring has that soft padding. Common Honda!

#8 ·
I re-fell-in-love with my Passport yesterday when I went with a co-worker who has a 2019 Ford Explorer, a vehicle our Passport is compared to. Let me tell you, I felt like I was riding in a very inexpensive vehicle in the Explorer. The ride quality, the overall interior and most of all the engine noise and the road noise. Our Passports are extremely quiet and you quickly get spoiled! Even closing the door.. our vehicles are smooth as silk and make that nice sold cur-thunk sound. Explorer felt like I was closing the door on my nieces Cozy-Coupe toy!
After we returned to work, I felt extremely satisfied in my purchase. For nearly the same amount of money, I got so much "more" vehicle in my Passport! Me+Passport=?

#9 ·
I re-fell-in-love with my Passport yesterday when I went with a co-worker who has a 2019 Ford Explorer, a vehicle our Passport is compared to. Let me tell you, I felt like I was riding in a very inexpensive vehicle in the Explorer. The ride quality, the overall interior and most of all the engine noise and the road noise. Our Passports are extremely quiet and you quickly get spoiled! Even closing the door.. our vehicles are smooth as silk and make that nice sold cur-thunk sound. Explorer felt like I was closing the door on my nieces Cozy-Coupe toy!
After we returned to work, I felt extremely satisfied in my purchase. For nearly the same amount of money, I got so much "more" vehicle in my Passport! Me+Passport=?
A more fair comparison would be the 2020 Explorer. The Explorer ST looks very interesting BUT it’s a Ford. Over priced and horrible resale value. I would still pick this Honda over it. Especially for the long term. It’s a Honda. You know it’s going to go the distance and be reliable.

#16 ·
I will own my passport since February of this year. I’ve had a couple problems with it that the dealership fixed. I have no complaints, 8000 miles on it, little trips here and there. It is a great retirement vehicle, and I am looking forward to the future with it

#18 ·
Pretty spoiled with my passport Elite . 6300 miles , bought in March / April . Aside from the display freezing up , (Honda fixed that but now Navigation doesn’t work ) and the clunking of the tranny at low speeds occasionally , I like the car. Hope they find out why it clunks and jerks at low speeds . Anyone else have that problem ?

#19 ·
Took delivery on 2019 Touring 2 weeks ago. Lover every thing about the vehicle except loud wind noise above 45 mph. Sounds like a rear window is open. VERY annoying. I had similar problem with 2000 Outback. Solution was replacing wrong door gasket. Checking online shows many others have this issue. I can live with it I guess if no solution. Going to try masking tape around door openings first. Any one else seen(heard this problem)?.

#23 ·
Your seat is cooler than mine Heather!

#24 ·
haha! Not really. I turn the seat vents off, they are too loud. And then when it was summer and I wore shorts, I just put a towel on the seat to keep me from sticking.

btw - we had about 2 minutes of rain and some hail just a bit ago in HB!
and my dad says global warming is fake news!

Reactions: rls002
#25 ·
Oh yeah, I was out walking my dog around 8:30am and got hailed on...! (and rain) crazy...

Reactions: ProdGirl
#26 ·
I've finally reached 2k thanks to a lot of weekend driving and although my initial thoughts of the ACC were less than great, I used it a lot recently without any issues. It even did something unexpected that I was impressed by-- another vehicle cut directly in front of me but was accelerating and traveling faster than me. In my previous vehicle it would have preemptively braked since it made no distinction whether the other vehicle was moving faster, the same or slower. My PP appeared to retain the current speed. I had expected it to brake but glad it didn't.

Still miss not having front and 360 cameras. The parking brake location is odd, not even sure why it's implemented that way and not as a button (like my last vehicle).

The beeps from the PP are so obnoxious (eg. when opening the tailgate or if you have auto-lock enabled and walk away before doors/liftgate are still open). My wife's Ford Edge is far more subtle and pleasant. If I use the remote start, unlock the doors with the FOB and someone opens a door it sometimes beeps a few times and I have no idea why. There really should be an option for internal/external lights to be on when remote start is used since I usually use it early AM and it's too dark. Android Auto and Bluetooth connection are better and more reliable than my previous ride (2017 Escape Platinum).

#29 ·
Sunroofs add about a grand to the vehicle price and I wish they were optional as well, as I would NOT buy one...!

#30 ·
Sunroofs add abouta grand to the vehicle price and I wish they were optional as well, as I would NOT buy one...!
I've had several vechicles with sunroofs. I use them so infrequently that I forget it's even there. I can't remember the last time I've slid the cover back on mine.

#31 ·
I fully enjoy the sunroof in all its open positions in my 2019 Elite. Based on the weather it improves the airflow through the vehicle, both heating, and cooling. There is a special enjoyment on fully opening the sunroof on that first 70-degree day in March where we live in south-central Pennsylvania.

#34 ·
I'm closing in on 3 months with my Passport Elite (2400 miles), and I'm loving this ride. I've decided to get cross bars installed next week and ceramic paint protection in the near future. While I absolutely hate winter weather (still hoping to call SoCal home one day) I am looking forward to experiencing my Passport in the snow.

Reactions: Werlyb23
#36 ·
Where are you at now Wayne?
Maybe we can trade locations?

I was planning on moving this year, but with no money coming in, buying a home in Newport, OR is not smart. I can’t keep paying these taxes, high costs of living, dealing with traffic and politics.
And my entire industry has been shut down since March 15th because Californistan has too many people who can’t comply for 3 weeks!

#35 ·
I, too, enjoy the silence when driving my PP. I'll even turn off the music I like to listen to just to 'hear' the quietness of the PP. One of the events I'm looking forward to is driving it in deep snow. I bought it in April of 2019 and I'm still waiting for it to snow. It doesn't seem to snow anymore in south-central PA. Guess I'll have to drive up to Canada to check out snow driving.

#38 ·
I, too, enjoy the silence when driving my PP. I'll even turn off the music I like to listen to just to 'hear' the quietness of the PP. One of the events I'm looking forward to is driving it in deep snow. I bought it in April of 2019 and I'm still waiting for it to snow. It doesn't seem to snow anymore in south-central PA. Guess I'll have to drive up to Canada to check out snow driving.
we may get our chance as I see snow is in the forecast for Wednesday, 12/16

Reactions: ProdGirl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.