Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So sometimes our passport (with around 5k miles) will shift pretty horribly around these speeds. It's mainly noticeable when coasting or slowing down around 28 mph or so. It seems to happen when downshifting. Sometimes you can feel it when it's shifting up around 35 mph as well, but it's not as bad. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'm not looking forward to having to replicate the issue when I do. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mitch2700,
We Have a similar issue, hard shift from 4th to 5th gear, approximately 35 mph. Took the car in and Honda said they couldn’t replicate the hard shift and everything checked out ok but noted on the account of the problem. Started around 5k miles and now have 15k and still doing it. Taking it back in again as it has not resolved itself.

RH

Hello all,

So sometimes our passport (with around 5k miles) will shift pretty horribly around these speeds. It's mainly noticeable when coasting or slowing down around 28 mph or so. It seems to happen when downshifting. Sometimes you can feel it when it's shifting up around 35 mph as well, but it's not as bad. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'm not looking forward to having to replicate the issue when I do. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe theres software out to remedy this? Did the dealer check?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I get a single small clunk right around 30 but not every time, maybe 60% of the time. I'll check out the TSB.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife has a 2019 Odyssey (22.5K miles) and it has alway had a really rough shift right around 24 MPH. If you are too soft on the gas or let your foot off to slow down around 24 (like when driving through a neighborhood) it gets really jerky.

When I test drove the Passport I wasn't able to replicate it, but now that I'm driving it for real (and going through neighborhoods) I feel it as well.

We've decided you either have to let off the gas closer to 20 or push past 24 before letting off the pedal. We both find it pretty annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
Somewhat off subject, but somewhat related. Today my car was acting strange, using the above term of JERKY (or surging).

While using the cruise control (at 30 MPH) it was trying to throttle up then back off; just enough for me to sense it but not enough to be noticeable on the tach.
A few min later I was in a faster zone (45) where it continued - then I noticed the culprit:

It was in the Sequential mode (a first time for me). Punching the button returned it to D and the problem went away.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What TCM reflash? I assume that is some kind of software update for the TCM module? More info? Though my rough shifting isn't as bad as others I've heard about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They just updated the TCM to the latest software I guess. They actually didn't even test the car before performing the work. I printed out the TSB that was mentioned in this thread and showed them. We haven't driven the car much, but we haven't noticed the issue again yet.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
47 Posts
My dealer doesn't even have that TSB; says TSB #20-029 is for my PP according to the VIN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Today I brought my PP into the Honda dealership for b16 service and mentioned the hard upshift about 35 mph and wanted the tcm updated...tsb#19-124. They called me back later after test drive and experienced the hard upshift but told me it was under tsb#20-029. They performed the update and the PP feels smoother right away.
F70FC7F9-8306-468E-B1C9-E45261A3770B.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2020 PP elite with 300 miles shows transmission shifting up down while at constant low speed in range of 30mph.
This is just a soft but annoying shifting. It looks as if the dynamic range for the gears not properly overlapped. Any comments from the experts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2020 PP elite with 300 miles shows transmission shifting up down while at constant low speed in range of 30mph.
This is just a soft but annoying shifting. It looks as if the dynamic range for the gears not properly overlapped. Any comments from the experts?
Go to your dealer and see if your PP can get the tsb#20-029...it is an update for the tcm and made my transmission shift super smooth

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
47 Posts
2019 PP scheduled for the TSB 20-029 update next Thursday; also asked to have the crackling sound from the speakers addressed and was told that may require a replacement of the entire engine harness...all under warranty so, no worries.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts