Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted re. this issue under "rumble strip" noise but I now have more information that may apply to a more specific group. My PP Touring has been making a slight "shuddering" sound from the front end whenever it upshifts from 7th to 8th gear. Initially I thought the noise occurred randomly but while on a 2500 road trip that involved a lot driving between 40 and 55 mph I was able to determine exactly when the noise occurs. It will always make the noise while accelerating at a normal pace and the PP sifts into 8th at around 50 mph. At that instant it makes the noise I referred to. If you have the sound system on you may not be able to hear the noise. It does not make the noise under hard acceleration. You can also feel it vibrate very slightly. Hence the "rumble strip" moniker. I can also make it occur manually when using the shift paddles making sure the PP is in 7th then using the paddle to upshift to 8th. I can keep doing that over and over to consistently make the noise. I took it to the dealer yesterday and the shop foreman was also able to replicate the noise. The dealer had never seen this issue. They contacted Honda Tech Line and were told that this issue is a "known characteristic" of the 9 speed transmission when a factory transmission cooler is installed. I had the Honda transmission cooler and trailer hitch installed by the dealer before I picked up the PP. I did not notice the noise in the first 2000 miles. The PP now has approx. 4300 miles on it. I do not know if it was making the noise all along or I just started noticing it on the road trip.
I called Honda Customer Service at the ph. # that the dealer gave me 1-800-999-1009. They took all my information and told me that a rep. should call me tomorrow. I do not feel that the transmission should be making any sort of unusual noise. I have had several vehicles with transmission coolers and none of them ever made any sort of noise. I am especially concerned that the noise only occurs on a 7-8 upshift. Obviously something is not right. I expect to get clarification from Honda why the transmission is making the noise and what can be done to eliminate it.
Please let me know if you have a PP with the transmission cooler and are having the same problem.
Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have posted re. this issue under "rumble strip" noise but I now have more information that may apply to a more specific group. My PP Touring has been making a slight "shuddering" sound from the front end whenever it upshifts from 7th to 8th gear. Initially I thought the noise occurred randomly but while on a 2500 road trip that involved a lot driving between 40 and 55 mph I was able to determine exactly when the noise occurs. It will always make the noise while accelerating at a normal pace and the PP sifts into 8th at around 50 mph. At that instant it makes the noise I referred to. If you have the sound system on you may not be able to hear the noise. It does not make the noise under hard acceleration. You can also feel it vibrate very slightly. Hence the "rumble strip" moniker. I can also make it occur manually when using the shift paddles making sure the PP is in 7th then using the paddle to upshift to 8th. I can keep doing that over and over to consistently make the noise. I took it to the dealer yesterday and the shop foreman was also able to replicate the noise. The dealer had never seen this issue. They contacted Honda Tech Line and were told that this issue is a "known characteristic" of the 9 speed transmission when a factory transmission cooler is installed. I had the Honda transmission cooler and trailer hitch installed by the dealer before I picked up the PP. I did not notice the noise in the first 2000 miles. The PP now has approx. 4300 miles on it. I do not know if it was making the noise all along or I just started noticing it on the road trip.
I called Honda Customer Service at the ph. # that the dealer gave me 1-800-999-1009. They took all my information and told me that a rep. should call me tomorrow. I do not feel that the transmission should be making any sort of unusual noise. I have had several vehicles with transmission coolers and none of them ever made any sort of noise. I am especially concerned that the noise only occurs on a 7-8 upshift. Obviously something is not right. I expect to get clarification from Honda why the transmission is making the noise and what can be done to eliminate it.
Please let me know if you have a PP with the transmission cooler and are having the same problem.
Thanks!
Jim
I just noticed the sound you are talking about earlier this week. I also have the transmission cooler. Interested to hear what they have to say.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda Costomer Service called again to get more detailed information from me. They also contacted the dealer again as well. Customer Service said they would be reviewing my concern with Honda Tech Line and get back to me Monday at the latest. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honda Costomer Service called again to get more detailed information from me. They also contacted the dealer again as well. Customer Service said they would be reviewing my concern with Honda Tech Line and get back to me Monday at the latest. Stay tuned.....
Let me know how this goes. I got nowhere and was waiting for more people to have an issue. My noise is getting louder over time, especially as it is getting colder.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do...Under what circumstances are you hearing the noise? Do you have a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue with my Elite w/Transmission cooler. I've taken it to the dealer several times and the told me it is "normal operation" and that if the vented seat is on and the radio is on it's hard to hear. I also notice occasionally clunks and hesitation from the transmission, especially when accelerating from low speeds. I'm expecting the transmission to completely fail at some point.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
  • I should have read both of your posts prior to writing my last post. It seems like we are having the exact same issue under the exact same conditions. I too am concerned about the long term ramifications. I am expect to hear back from Honda today and will contact them if I do not. Did you discuss this with Honda Customer Service or only with the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
  • I should have read both of your posts prior to writing my last post. It seems like we are having the exact same issue under the exact same conditions. I too am concerned about the long term ramifications. I am expect to hear back from Honda today and will contact them if I do not. Did you discuss this with Honda Customer Service or only with the dealer?
I have not contacted Honda customer service, I probably should do that. I'm seriously considering just trading the car for another brand and taking the loss. Mine has just over 11,000 miles on it, and I feel like the noise is more frequent as time goes on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have not contacted Honda customer service, I probably should do that. I'm seriously considering just trading the car for another brand and taking the loss. Mine has just over 11,000 miles on it, and I feel like the noise is more frequent as time goes on.
I have contacted Honda about another issue and mentioned this. The person assigned to the case did mention that it could be tied to the VCM. I may reach out again now that both of you are having the same issue.
Mine is so loud that you can hear it with the AC full blast and seat AC on full blast as well. Family and friends also ask if my car is okay because the noise is so odd.
I have also had clunks and hesitations from the transmission.
I have the transmission cooler as well.
I worried about the ZF 9 speed at the time of purchase, but really thought the kinks would be worked out. May have been wrong...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is really faint but does seem to get louder once car has warmed up fully. I sure do want to have to worry about it getting worse as yours has. It is irritating as get out now that I know when it occurs. I want to start occasionnaly towing a small car on a trailer and do not this concern hanging over my head. I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is really faint but does seem to get louder once car has warmed up fully. I sure do want to have to worry about it getting worse as yours has. It is irritating as get out now that I know when it occurs. I want to start occasionnaly towing a small car on a trailer and do not this concern hanging over my head. I will let you know what I find out.
Below is a video clip of what mine sounds like as of yesterday. 3 months ago it was too faint to get on video.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is exactly the noise mine is making! No way can this be considered "normal"! .....Going to call Honda customer service again today. If not satisfied with their response I will demand a factory rep. meets me at the dealer. Thank you for posting the video!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spoke with Honda Customer Service today 10//19. Was told that the concern was brought to the attention of an engineer who said the noise involved the dual clutch and that the noise was considered "normal". on PPs with transmission coolers. I asked to speak to to someone higher up, and the rep danced around that request. He finally said he would let his superior know of my request but also said that the superior may or may not be contacting me. Rest assured, I will not be satisfied with that answer. I have contacted the dealer service manager re meeting with a factory rep. Waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Called Honda Customer Service again to follow up as the case manager I spoke with earlier today was very reluctant to take my concern to the next level and have his boss contact me even though I asked for that to happen several times in our conversation. after speaking to another person at Customer Service, I was told my concern would be relayed to the next level and that I would be contacted within 24 hours.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok, can I add my two cents, I installed the tranny cooler myself, got instructions from college hills and what struck me as odd, as they didn’t require adding additional fluid, check and adjust. Now I’m an old school mechanic and knew by adding the cooler plus more lines to and from would lower the fluid level, so I purchased a quart of Honda ATF 3.1 @ $ 40 bucks and added almost 3/4 of the bottle after install, and have never had any of the symptoms all of you have described....... might be as simple as adding some fluid, and I can see why dealers don’t because of the price of the fluid, German stuff......and it’s not that hard to do.. plug is right on top of tranny, it’s the checking the fluid level that’s a pain.......

Good luck.......

·
Registered
434 Posts
35FCE3AA-8445-4D9E-943B-5EC25BAED98A.png

The instructions do say to inspect and adjust the fluid level. You would think the Honda technicians would know to do this anyway when installing the cooler. You would also think if a vehicle was brought in with the complaint of transmission noise the fluid level would be checked. Finally you would think that a Honda rep wouldn’t say the noise is normal if it in fact wasn’t normal. All that being said, I would not trust any of the above I would double check the fluid level myself.. if not qualified then make a request for the dealership to do so.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts