Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We bought our 2019 Passport Elite in February, my wife Misty is the regular driver and over the last several months had several issues with the transmission.

1) Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N. This issue happened several times when my wife trying to leave for work early in the morning. After several tries and restarting the vehicle several times, it finally shifts into gear. What concerns me more is that the issue also happens when she is driving on the freeway at full speed, for no reason the transmission shifts into neutral.

2) The transmission shifts erratically. This issue occurs almost every time while driving the vehicle.

We have taken the vehicle to the dealer several times. We showed the picture of the screen when 'transmission problem, see manual' error occurred, but the dealer is coming back with 'can not reproduce the problem' and is driving us crazy. They are looking for the codes and cannot locate any stored. I have always been a Honda fan, have owned several hondas throughout the years, have never ever had any issues, but this is very concerning.

On our last visit to the dealer after wife dropped the vehicle off, I drove to the dealer myself after hearing the same result of 'we cannot reproduce the issue' to take a test drive with the tech to try and reproduce the problem with him in the car.

I could not reproduce the problem of transmission shifting into neutral as it happens intermediately but was able to reproduce the problem of erratic transmission shifting three times and the tech has seen/heard it.

I was told that they had to see the codes in order for them to do anything and the tech had the computer hooked up to the car during our drive. The way these computers work is you have to hit the record button when the issue occurs, after 2-3 seconds it starts recording and only records for 10 seconds, then you have to start over. This issue happens intermediately, it is impossible to know exactly when it will happen and for the delay with the recording is it impossible for them to record anything.

I have found other posts on this site where people have had similar issues and have had their transmissions replaced. I am very close to taking this to the next level with Honda if the issue is not resolved and soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
how many miles you got there? I bought my Passport without realizing I got a ZF 9... now I'm stuck with one, I did a lot of reading on line.
Transmission shift to neutral happened a lot to Jeep side of family, and there were a recall for that. A little surprised that it showed up again in 2019, on a Passport no less.

·
Registered
434 Posts
We bought our 2019 Passport Elite in February, my wife Misty is the regular driver and over the last several months had several issues with the transmission.

1) Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N. This issue happened several times when my wife trying to leave for work early in the morning. After several tries and restarting the vehicle several times, it finally shifts into gear. What concerns me more is that the issue also happens when she is driving on the freeway at full speed, for no reason the transmission shifts into neutral.

2) The transmission shifts erratically. This issue occurs almost every time while driving the vehicle.

We have taken the vehicle to the dealer several times. We showed the picture of the screen when 'transmission problem, see manual' error occurred, but the dealer is coming back with 'can not reproduce the problem' and is driving us crazy. They are looking for the codes and cannot locate any stored. I have always been a Honda fan, have owned several hondas throughout the years, have never ever had any issues, but this is very concerning.

On our last visit to the dealer after wife dropped the vehicle off, I drove to the dealer myself after hearing the same result of 'we cannot reproduce the issue' to take a test drive with the tech to try and reproduce the problem with him in the car.

I could not reproduce the problem of transmission shifting into neutral as it happens intermediately but was able to reproduce the problem of erratic transmission shifting three times and the tech has seen/heard it.

I was told that they had to see the codes in order for them to do anything and the tech had the computer hooked up to the car during our drive. The way these computers work is you have to hit the record button when the issue occurs, after 2-3 seconds it starts recording and only records for 10 seconds, then you have to start over. This issue happens intermediately, it is impossible to know exactly when it will happen and for the delay with the recording is it impossible for them to record anything.

I have found other posts on this site where people have had similar issues and have had their transmissions replaced. I am very close to taking this to the next level with Honda if the issue is not resolved and soon.

Ive had it happen to me once when I was leaving a restaurant; I started the vehicle and noticed the “transmission problem see manual” flash on for a few seconds then it went off. When I reached down to shift into reverse it was in neutral. I thought it was odd because I thought the random drop to neutral was only happening when people were actually in gear driving, not just sitting in park after initially starting the vehicle. I scanned for DTCs but found none of course. I’ve had no issues with the transmission at all other than that but it does concern me that it may happen again, especially to my wife while she’s driving. I also really wonder if it’s happened to other people on initial start up and they just didn’t notice the message flash on and off, because it happened so quick, nor did they notice it was in N not P when they pushed R or D. I could see how it could easily be missed by someone who doesn’t constantly watch for issues, considering it let me shift right into reverse and be on my way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to me this morning. Any closure to the random shift to neutral while car sitting in park not going anywhere?

Ive had it happen to me once when I was leaving a restaurant; I started the vehicle and noticed the “transmission problem see manual” flash on for a few seconds then it went off. When I reached down to shift into reverse it was in neutral. I thought it was odd because I thought the random drop to neutral was only happening when people were actually in gear driving, not just sitting in park after initially starting the vehicle. I scanned for DTCs but found none of course. I’ve had no issues with the transmission at all other than that but it does concern me that it may happen again, especially to my wife while she’s driving. I also really wonder if it’s happened to other people on initial start up and they just didn’t notice the message flash on and off, because it happened so quick, nor did they notice it was in N not P when they pushed R or D. I could see how it could easily be missed by someone who doesn’t constantly watch for issues, considering it let me shift right into reverse and be on my way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This happened to me this morning. Any closure to the random shift to neutral while car sitting in park not going anywhere?
None for me, it’s only happened twice in 7 months (to me at least, not sure if it has happened to my wife when she’s driven it). I’m going to check for DTCs and go from there. If there’s no DTCs Honda will just keep it for 2 or 3 days and then say they could not duplicate the issue..

I will post an update when I am able to scan it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Not trying to scare you but I received same warnings appx. One week after transmission service, then a few days later found out shifter box was out. Has just under 40k miles and already issues. Ughhhh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts