Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normal speed from 0 to 70 mph: smooth.
Normal speed from 70 to 0 mph : smooth.

In a traffic where 5 miles ahead there is an accident, and the speed is 0 to 20 to 5 to 30 to 2 back to 0 mph: awful
There is a lot of click sound, esp around 20 mph downshift, as the transmission can't figure out what gear it needs to be in.

For those of you that gets stuck in traffic, bumper to bumper, what have you done to smooth out the gear shift?
Go to manual shift/sport mode?

Thanks.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My Elite March manufactured PP makes no sounds at all in low speed, stop and go driving. Check your transmission fluid level.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,988 Posts
Ditto to what Ken said above. Even in So Cal traffic no issues.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Same here, no issues. The only not smooth transmission behavior I get is when crossing the two dog clutches in 4-5 and 8-9 gears, when a downshift might really hesitate. No clicking though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've heard that this can happen when the PP has been driven long enough to have a warm engine with coolant above 185 degrees, like getting off the interstate and to stop and go traffic.
There is a sensor that sees how hot the coolant is and reports back to the ECU. The software program associates the temperature with highway driving and causes the variable cylinder management (VCM) to engage and disengage.
It is possible that the ECU is changing the engine from 6 cylinder operation to 3 cylinders and back and forth, over and over.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's the 4-5 dog gear clutch sound. Happens around 24-30 mph down shift and then gas.
I'm just a little surprised that all your ZF9 purr like a cat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it's the 4-5 dog gear clutch sound. Happens around 24-30 mph down shift and then gas.
I'm just a little surprised that all your ZF9 purr like a cat.
Something that I was skeptical of that actually seems to have happened like other said, is that after a couple thousand miles my transmission seemed to have gradually learned my driving and smoothed out, but even new it was pretty smooth. Are you low miles? I also recall thinking about it, that I may have shifted to sport to hold a different shift point in heavy traffic before, but not for noise or smoothness, more of just speed control. I use the paddle shifters to slow down in the mountains or heavy traffic frequently.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’ve noticed in heavy stop and go traffic there’s a lot of bucking, whether it be from the transmission deciding which of the 100 gears it wants to be in or the dumbass VCM going on and off.. it’s enough to make me nauseous. No noise though. Normal driving up to speeds its very smooth, no issues there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I’ve noticed in heavy stop and go traffic there’s a lot of bucking, whether it be from the transmission deciding which of the 100 gears it wants to be in or the dumbass VCM going on and off.. it’s enough to make me nauseous. No noise though. Normal driving up to speeds its very smooth, no issues there.
I worried about the VCM before I bought my PP. I bought a vcmtuner ii and the PP will never switch out of 6 cylinders, unless the radiator over heats to something like 200 degrees.

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
315 Posts
I commute in 2 days a week here in Charlotte in heavy stop and go traffic and haven’t noticed any issues with it hunting for gears. I do get the clanking sound at low speeds sometimes. Generally, when accelerating from a stop at a somewhat leisurely pace. I assume it to be the 4-5 change but not sure. It’s loud enough at times it could be heard at least 50 feet away. I find it rather embarrassing. Whether this is just a crappy trans design or a problem that will get worse is unknown. I’m just over a 1k miles now and I will say the trans has seemed to smooth out some.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I still wonder if it's the tranny or if it's the VCM. Honda designed an active noise cancelling system to help block the VCM engagement sound, with artificial exhaust noise coming thru the speakers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wouldn’t think it’s the vcm. It seems to only happen when the transmission is shifting and it’s a distinct clank like metal sound. I mean it’s pretty loud.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The dog clutch engages at the 4-5 shift and disengages at the 7-8 shift. After 15k miles I have never heard any tranny noise at the 4-5 shift. I do hear a brief noise at the 7-8 shift. That is, according to Honda, because I have an OEM tranny cooler installed. Otherwise the transmission shifts very smoothly in all traffic situations. The only time it is not so smooth is when accelerating briskly in Sequential mode and trying to force an upshift by reducing throttle. This results in pretty lengthy shift. I have found S mode works best using the paddles. BTW- In S mode the PP starts from a stop in 1st gear rather than 2nd. Better for drag racing your 4Runner friends ! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts