Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Our '21 Elite with dealer installed cooler has no issues. Shifts great & none of the buzzing-grinding noise when shifting in any gears or driving at any speeds. This is our 3rd ZF transmission and the smoothest, best shifting one yet. That said, to suggest pulling 3,000 to 5,000 pound trailers without a tranny cooler is not good advice at all. Just my 2Cents worth...
Who is suggesting to pull 3000 - 5000lbs without a trans cooler???

I never said or suggested that - in fact that is my very frustration about this car and Honda!

It is completely false advertising to claim that your car tows 5000lbs with the properly installed transmission cooler, then transmission cooler causes problems with transmission, then Honda claims that this is a normal characteristic of the transmission cooler???

Maybe the 23’s are fixed but, 19-21’s have this issue (not sure about 22’s) but trust me - Honda knows about it and will do nothing!

It’s really sad because it’s such a great platform, tow’s great, great mileage, great power, roomy, comfy, excellent AWD with the twin clutch rear differential, and raised ground clearance.

Our only other gripe with this Passport is the push button transmission shifter - hate it!

Hmmm 🤔 maybe there is a reason Honda went back to their own 10spd transmission in the new 23 Pilot? Acura has also abandoned anything ZF. I would bet good money that the 24 Passport gets Honda’s 10spd too?

· Registered
101 Posts
I tried the sport mode and shifting thing to see how it shifts and sounds from 7th to 8th and all is good.
I will definitely keep listening to make sure it continues to be good.

Yeah let’s hope they just go with a 10 speed

· Registered
365 Posts
Who is suggesting to pull 3000 - 5000lbs without a trans cooler???

I never said or suggested that - in fact that is my very frustration about this car and Honda!

It is completely false advertising to claim that your car tows 5000lbs with the properly installed transmission cooler, then transmission cooler causes problems with transmission, then Honda claims that this is a normal characteristic of the transmission cooler???

Maybe the 23’s are fixed but, 19-21’s have this issue (not sure about 22’s) but trust me - Honda knows about it and will do nothing!

It’s really sad because it’s such a great platform, tow’s great, great mileage, great power, roomy, comfy, excellent AWD with the twin clutch rear differential, and raised ground clearance.

Our only other gripe with this Passport is the push button transmission shifter - hate it!

Hmmm 🤔 maybe there is a reason Honda went back to their own 10spd transmission in the new 23 Pilot? Acura has also abandoned anything ZF. I would bet good money that the 24 Passport gets Honda’s 10spd too?
Uhhm, you kinda did.
Quotes from one of your previous posts...

"Don't do it!!! Honda has under engineered the transmission cooler that they sell for the Passport.

It will cause a grinding/buzzing noise every time that is shifts from 7th to 8th gear under light throttle! This also happens to be between 42mph -50mph which is mostly the speed you are at driving around town.

This is truly false advertising as they advertise an SUV that will tow 5000lb when properly equipped with the transmission cooler but when you install the cooler it causes a serious issue with the transmission!!!"

Look, I'm not implying that you didn't have an issue with the tranny cooler and how it affected your ZF transmission, or that others may have had issues also, but to imply that there is a problem with engineering that affects every transmission cooler is just wrong. I personally know 3 individuals who have them on their 2020 through 2022 Passports that have zero issues, plus the few on here who have stated the same thing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Uhhm, you kinda did.
Quotes from one of your previous posts...

"Don't do it!!! Honda has under engineered the transmission cooler that they sell for the Passport.

It will cause a grinding/buzzing noise every time that is shifts from 7th to 8th gear under light throttle! This also happens to be between 42mph -50mph which is mostly the speed you are at driving around town.

This is truly false advertising as they advertise an SUV that will tow 5000lb when properly equipped with the transmission cooler but when you install the cooler it causes a serious issue with the transmission!!!"

Look, I'm not implying that you didn't have an issue with the tranny cooler and how it affected your ZF transmission, or that others may have had issues also, but to imply that there is a problem with engineering that affects every transmission cooler is just wrong. I personally know 3 individuals who have them on their 2020 through 2022 Passports that have zero issues, plus the few on here who have stated the same thing.
You must be the ZF Whisperer I will guess?

Honda’s official words on this issue are all passports make this grinding/buzzing noise on the upshift from 7th to 8th under light throttle, between 42-50mph. Their stance is the cooler amplifies the noise to which they claim is a normal characteristic??
I claim bullshit!

Trust me they know about it and deny fixing it!

Also who wants to place a bet on how much longer they keep the ZF in their products?

Please

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
89 Posts
Not that anyone cares, but apologies for my incorrect post: my PP is 2022.

I'll perform several recordings of the transmission shifts before the install and hope I never need to use them to show what "normal" was before the install.

Reactions: Obert and JLH

· Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking about adding the transmission cooler to my Passport, i.e. a cooler transmission equals longer life. Then I had a conversation with a mechanic buddy at the local diner recently, he suggested not to install the separate transmission cooler. He said, in many other vehicles with an automatic transmission the transmission cooler is placed inside the car radiator. The car radiator provides temperature regulation, i.e. it warms the transmission up when it is cold and keeps it from getting too hot. There are a lot of very sensitive parts and tolerances inside a modern transmission. I can see driving in a frigid Ontario winter, with the separate cooler keeping the transmission ice cold all day. And separate coolers only work by air flow, compared to a cooler inside the car radiator, which again is in a temperature controlled environment. Does any one have experience with this issue? Am I missing some detail, like the transmission has a thermostat or something? Are there any other Honda models with the transmission cooler in the radiator? And too bad the manufacturers don’t have a transmission temperature read-out; based on the level of technology in this vehicle, it could easily be programmed to record and send the temperature history to your phone.
There is one in the radiator and if you don't plan to tow and don't plan to leave pavement it's all you need.

For people pulling a trailer or leaving pavement behind or < gasp > leaving pavement behind with a trailer an auxiliary cooler may be needed. Especially if they are running in very hot climates. Depending on use, a person may need a cooler larger than the Honda aftermarket one and it may need it's own fan. Really the only way to tell is put a transmission temperature gauge on it or figure out getting the OBDII setting to work to monitor transmission temperature. If you find your pushing 200 degrees it's time to add a cooler. As far as max temp for the oil I can't find one answer. I did notice ZF has posted service intervals for their transmissions based on max temp reached and the mileage interval for 230 degrees is considerably shorter than it is for cooler temps. I'll take that as a clue to do something about a transmission that regularly goes over 215 degrees.

Valves can be purchased that will bypass an auxiliary cooler when the transmission is not warmed up. I'd do that in a cold climate. If you determine you need it at all.

· Registered
2021 Passport Elite
528 Posts
There is one in the radiator and if you don't plan to tow and don't plan to leave pavement it's all you need.

For people pulling a trailer or leaving pavement behind or < gasp > leaving pavement behind with a trailer an auxiliary cooler may be needed. Especially if they are running in very hot climates. Depending on use, a person may need a cooler larger than the Honda aftermarket one and it may need it's own fan. Really the only way to tell is put a transmission temperature gauge on it or figure out getting the OBDII setting to work to monitor transmission temperature. If you find your pushing 200 degrees it's time to add a cooler. As far as max temp for the oil I can't find one answer. I did notice ZF has posted service intervals for their transmissions based on max temp reached and the mileage interval for 230 degrees is considerably shorter than it is for cooler temps. I'll take that as a clue to do something about a transmission that regularly goes over 215 degrees.

Valves can be purchased that will bypass an auxiliary cooler when the transmission is not warmed up. I'd do that in a cold climate. If you determine you need it at all.
Please show me where the lines connect to the transmission cooler in the radiator. Because in the diagram I posted in this thread there aren’t any transmission lines going into the radiator. Please provide proof of your claim. And look at the diagram in this thread that I posted.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts