Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Having issues with this new passport got 1100 miles on it been to the dealer 3x+. Dealer can’t duplicate issue. The car when letting off the gas between 25-35 makes a loud clunk . The car also when cruising on the highway I have to press my foot all the way down to get it to pick up speed. On the street it’s been acting sluggish also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey! Having issues with this new passport got 1100 miles on it been to the dealer 3x+. Dealer can’t duplicate issue. The car when letting off the gas between 25-35 makes a loud clunk . The car also when cruising on the highway I have to press my foot all the way down to get it to pick up speed. On the street it’s been acting sluggish also
Get yourself a VCM tuner and that should fix your sluggishness problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this a 2021?

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is a dog clutch that is slow between two of the gears that might be responsible for what you are experiencing. If you turn off Eco mode and/or turn on S mode, does the responsiveness improve? A quite minor clunk and very brief hesitation is all I have ever noticed at the clutch shift point, and any slow acceleration is immediately overcome using S mode. Over time the smoothness of the transmission allegedly improves as it trains, and that happened for mine as far as I recall. I hardly notice this anymore.

Personally, I don't think the VCM tuners are necessary on the latest Honda models, and certainly not something I agree should be thrown at a potential problem before you identify the cause of your issue (real issue, or as designed?). The VCM of years back caused a lot more performance and maintenance issues. Many swear by VCM disabling devices and I won't argue the virtues of the devices, plenty of threads for that. I would wait to see if you have a real problem though, before modifying the car.

The Passport if properly working is definitely responsive in S mode with or without eco on. I almost never hear the VCM or dog clutch kick in and I that is with the active noise cancellation module pulled in my Passport. I have had zero problems with the VCM or eco mode on this car, and find it as responsive as any other I drive, especially in S mode if I require more aggressive acceleration. In Eco mode without S, it does require more pedal force to get moving. The only two hesitations that I notice different than a normal 6 speed are the dog clutch down shift point, and the auto idle engine stop. The radar cruise control hesitates, but that is because it is silly sensor design. I use manual cruise control anyway.

It is hard to tell from your post how much sluggishness you are talking about. If you are sure this is a really loud sound and definitely not what is supposed to be happening, you will have to find a way to reproduce and show the dealer the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a dog clutch that is slow between two of the gears that might be responsible for what you are experiencing. If you turn off Eco mode and/or turn on S mode, does the responsiveness improve? A quite minor clunk and very brief hesitation is all I have ever noticed at the clutch shift point, and any slow acceleration is immediately overcome using S mode. Over time the smoothness of the transmission allegedly improves as it trains, and that happened for mine as far as I recall. I hardly notice this anymore.

Personally, I don't think the VCM tuners are necessary on the latest Honda models, and certainly not something I agree should be thrown at a potential problem before you identify the cause of your issue (real issue, or as designed?). The VCM of years back caused a lot more performance and maintenance issues. Many swear by VCM disabling devices and I won't argue the virtues of the devices, plenty of threads for that. I would wait to see if you have a real problem though, before modifying the car.

The Passport if properly working is definitely responsive in S mode with or without eco on. I almost never hear the VCM or dog clutch kick in and I that is with the active noise cancellation module pulled in my Passport. I have had zero problems with the VCM or eco mode on this car, and find it as responsive as any other I drive, especially in S mode if I require more aggressive acceleration. In Eco mode without S, it does require more pedal force to get moving. The only two hesitations that I notice different than a normal 6 speed are the dog clutch down shift point, and the auto idle engine stop. The radar cruise control hesitates, but that is because it is silly sensor design. I use manual cruise control anyway.

It is hard to tell from your post how much sluggishness you are talking about. If you are sure this is a really loud sound and definitely not what is supposed to be happening, you will have to find a way to reproduce and show the dealer the issue.
[/QUOTE

This morning on my way to work on the dash came up transmission system problem. I contacted the dealer first thing today

·
Registered
89 Posts
This morning on my way to work on the dash came up transmission system problem. I contacted the dealer first thing today
There are others who had transmission issue this early, the dealer just end up swap it out.
I would probably take eco off if is on. Between 25-35 mph the "clunk" is probably the dog clutch, normally it's a "click" sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts