Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I’m driving passport from almost 3 months now, but something weird happened a couple of days back. My car while driving uphill just went to shut-off mode and we started sliding backwards.
I do put the auto-engine shutoff to off-mode by default as that feature doesn’t gel with my driving habits.

Just checking, if this is normal or am I driving a dangerous Honda?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,540 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I’m driving passport from almost 3 months now, but something weird happened a couple of days back. My car while driving uphill just went to shut-off mode and we started sliding backwards.
I do put the auto-engine shutoff to off-mode by default as that feature doesn’t gel with my driving habits.

This has never happened to me in any other Honda and I am on #5!
I’d be at the dealership two days ago!

The only thing somewhat similar is I was driving in San Francisco in my CRV up a very steep hill and while at a stop sign I kept rolling back. Thankfully no one was behind me, I eventually had to just burn out my tires to get up the hill. But I chalk that one up to me not knowing how to drive in that environment!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Why would it be considered normal for the car's engine to shut off when in drive and moving?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lol @EDB

Definitely not normal for the engine to shut off while you are Driving.. anymore details on speed you were going any warnings displayed??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, not a normal phenomenon. But I’m wondering, is this common in pilot or ridgeline as they share the same platform and engine with Passport.

Why would it be considered normal for the car's engine to shut off when in drive and moving?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never heard of this before. So Engine shut down-did warning lights come on afterwards? Any problems restarting? Any anti theft device added?

·
Registered
434 Posts
No warnings were displayed, just engine shutoff. We were less than 10 miles/hour.
That’s very interesting, and sounds like it could be dangerous if it were to happen at high speeds. With the over the top technology these days who knows what might have caused it, I’m just surprised no warnings nor the check engine light flashed. You could always have Honda run a DTC check in case the computer stored a fault code.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If they're asking if "this is normal?" sounds like user error. Something missing from this story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, my batter got drained completely and I ended up towing the car to the dealership. They replaced the battery. As per them, the last battery was not providing required/needed power to the receivers. Well, my car is just 4 months old, so how come a battery got drained in just 4 month!
Dealership told me that if this happens again, I should leave the car for longer and they will talk to Honda.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol @EDB

Definitely not normal for the engine to shut off while you are Driving.. anymore details on speed you were going any warnings displayed??
No warnings, and the battery got drained completely. No idea what happened and Honda ran all the checks, still no error code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The
That’s very interesting, and sounds like it could be dangerous if it were to happen at high speeds. With the over the top technology these days who knows what might have caused it, I’m just surprised no warnings nor the check engine light flashed. You could always have Honda run a DTC check in case the computer stored a fault code.
The engineer told me that nowadays, everything is connected to battery. Now, as my battery was running low, which they changed it under warranty, that might have caused the engine shutoff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My car did that today. It has also started rocking back and forth when I put it in park.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’m not buying the “battery running low” excuse. The only reason your battery will be low is if you have a parasitic draw or if something was left on overnight. Even then you would most likely have trouble starting the vehicle, once it’s running your alternator is pumping out close to 15 volts to help operate your electrical systems and help charge the battery. Keep us posted if it happens again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts