Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone with the factory trailer hitch, but used an aftermarket harness (i.e. Tekonsha or curt harness)? I am trying to figure out the best way to mount it on the factory trailer hitch and wanted to see if anyone figured out a way besides drilling new mounting holes into the factory harness bracket.

·
Registered
2022 Passport EX-L FWD
14 Posts
There is a harness connector already for the trailer hitch light harness, all you have to do is pop out the small recessed storage located at the left rear of the cargo area, reach inside towards the front and connect your after market harness to it. You can pass the trailer connector plug through a hole at the bottom of the cavity after you remove the small round plug and route it to the desired location, then cut a slit on the plastic plug that would allow the cable to go through and seal the hole. You will also have to install a fuse for it on the space (left to right) on the fuse box under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a harness connector already for the trailer hitch light harness, all you have to do is pop out the small recessed storage located at the left rear of the cargo area, reach inside towards the front and connect your after market harness to it. You can pass the trailer connector plug through a hole at the bottom of the cavity after you remove the small round plug and route it to the desired location, then cut a slit on the plastic plug that would allow the cable to go through and seal the hole. You will also have to install a fuse for it on the space (left to right) on the fuse box under the hood.
I am referring to the mounting of the actual connector next to the hitch socket.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have the OEM Hitch with an after market trailer light harness.
I keep the flat 4 wire cable in the long narrow tray.

·
Registered
2022 Passport AWD
13 Posts
If only I had the flat four connector. I have the 7-pole connector so it has to route outside to be usable ☹
Did you get this resolved? If not, I got mine installed by adapting the 3rd party (eTrailer) harness plug to fit the Honda hitch bracket. It looks good too 👍.

I don't know why Honda configures their hitch bracket holes the way they do, unless it's to encourage people to buy their 3X more expensive wiring harness...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get this resolved? If not, I got mine installed by adapting the 3rd party (eTrailer) harness plug to fit the Honda hitch bracket. It looks good too 👍.

I don't know why Honda configures their hitch bracket holes the way they do, unless it's to encourage people to buy their 3X more expensive wiring harness...
Ooo which one on etrailer is that? Still have mine ziptied on 🤣

·
Registered
2022 Passport AWD
13 Posts
Ooo which one on etrailer is that? Still have mine ziptied on 🤣
It's their T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness for Factory Tow Package - 7-Way Trailer Connector
Item # 118291
The 7 pin plug holes that come with the harness do NOT line up with the Honda's hitch bracket. The hitch bracket holes are 2" apart on top and 3" apart on the bottom. The plug holes are 2 3/4" apart top and bottom. So I drilled 2 top holes in the plug 2" apart to fit the hitch bracket, and used zip ties on the bottom 2 holes. It's actually mounted quite solidly.
Once I can figure out how to post pics I'll get a couple up here.
I'd think your zip ties have done a good job of staying put though, yeah?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts