Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 passport elite
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an internal conflict, gonna get rid of my 19 elite cause it's just always gonna have an unresolvable issue. Don't know if it want to just get a 21+ passport or wait for the new crv or leave Honda and go with a Mazda CX-5 awd turbo.

I'm kind of leaning on crv or cx5 just for the better mileage and being slightly more compacy but I like the roominess of the passport and the solid v6.

Just looking for serious 3rd party input/thoughts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Your needs should determine what you get, if you need the power and size of the Passport then trade your 2019 for a 2022 model Passport, the 2022 has no major issues reported on this forum. But if you will be better served by a smaller vehicle then a CR-V or a HR-V are solid options with better quality and value retention than a Mazda CX-5.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Get a 2023 Passport AWD, if you must.
Do you need the i-vtm4 awd that the Passport offers. It can use 80% of the 280 hp at the front tires, when just driving in normal conditions. When needed the computer can send 70% of the 280 hp to the rear tires and divide up that 70% left to right as needed. These are the only three Hondas (I'm not sure about the Honda mini van) that don't use the watered down awd system called Real Time.
You can't buy another AWD SUV that is as good as our Passport/Pilot/Ridgeline system (under $70k), unless you go to a full sized Truck or a large SUV that is based on a full sized Truck's platform.
Don't ever buy a turbo thinking that it has better MPG, because you'll always enjoy the exhilaration, of its acceleration, and there goes your MPG.

·
Registered
2021 Touring (CAN)
20 Posts
So my old engine teacher used to say, "Whether you buy a weed-whacker, or a car; always choose it based on the engine, because it's the most expensive part." That has stuck with me my whole life.I chose the PP for that very reason, plus I have a strong bias toward a Naturally Aspirated engine. Turbo 4's just won't last as long. This is also a last gen engine for Honda, and it's very tried, and very tested and true. But then again, longevity is what turns me on when it comes to engines. If I had to switch, I'd go Toyota because their track record speaks for itself, but they aren't as fun to drive if we are talking SUV vs SUV. Their gas mileage based on their truck-based models (body on frame), it will make it more pricey to run especially vs the PP. On the other hand, they have timing chains, so they never need to be changed at 100k, unlike the PP. Of course if you're leasing, none of this will matter-lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Highlander, CRV or RAV. The new CRV is bigger and mark my words this will put the PP on the chopping block. No one wants to pay 50k for something that can be done for 40k. The hybrids will probably be faster in real world driving due to their responsiveness. This will be the end of the V6 in the Highlander so if you go that route hope you can find one.

Mazda has some new stuff coming out with a straight six but don't know too much yet.

The next Passport should be better with the 10 speed but they gotta improve the bouncy ride.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
497 Posts
Highlander, CRV or RAV. The new CRV is bigger and mark my words this will put the PP on the chopping block. No one wants to pay 50k for something that can be done for 40k. The hybrids will probably be faster in real world driving due to their responsiveness. This will be the end of the V6 in the Highlander so if you go that route hope you can find one.

Mazda has some new stuff coming out with a straight six but don't know too much yet.

The next Passport should be better with the 10 speed but they gotta improve the bouncy ride.
Chopping block huh? 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
497 Posts
Chopping block huh? 🤣🤣🤣
I think so, CRV has grown in size and folks will realize that with electrification they have their cake and eat it too. Then there's Alabama production which is running at capacity despite the expansions. Ridgeline sales are stronger too. If PP sales decrease once the supply chain settles out the market will have spoken.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,684 Posts
I'm completely happy with my PP, and have no plans to switch (2019 AWD Touring, w/26k miles) but when I do. I'll be considering the Lexus NX...

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
615 Posts
@Bigbody here is a review of the 2023 CR-V, it has the same looks that Honda will replicate in the upcoming 2023 Honda Pilot and possibly the next Passport in a few years so it's covered in the looks department. The reviewer was also quite pleased with it and scored it 8/10.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
869 Posts

For Mazda , the inline 6 cylinder would be a Grand Slam! The power and the unique exhaust sound is amazing! Now, if their AWD game would step up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What kind of unresolvable issue are we talking about?
I don’t know what the authors unsolvable problem is, but on my 2019 PP it’s related to the auto idle where the car just shuts off. Finally during my most recent trip to my local Honda dealer, they started searching on Google. Turns out this is a known issue to Honda as the NHTSA has filed a complaint against them as this is happening to some older pilots as well. The bad part is Honda isn’t releasing any info to their dealer network leaving them to fend for themselves. My car has been in several times for the same reason, as have others. Until they figure it out a software patch to disable to auto idle would be nice, because the car defaults to on and you have to remember to disable it every time you start the car. Mechanically the car runs great when it’s not shutting off, but this has been a major problem. Im disappointed in Hondas response to the situation.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
869 Posts
I don’t know what the authors unsolvable problem is, but on my 2019 PP it’s related to the auto idle where the car just shuts off. Finally during my most recent trip to my local Honda dealer, they started searching on Google. Turns out this is a known issue to Honda as the NHTSA has filed a complaint against them as this is happening to some older pilots as well. The bad part is Honda isn’t releasing any info to their dealer network leaving them to fend for themselves. My car has been in several times for the same reason, as have others. Until they figure it out a software patch to disable to auto idle would be nice, because the car defaults to on and you have to remember to disable it every time you start the car. Mechanically the car runs great when it’s not shutting off, but this has been a major problem. Im disappointed in Hondas response to the situation.
Yes, Honda should have a way to disable this, but they don't.
Buy the idlestopper device, enjoy the vehicle, and NEVER have to worry about it auto turning off again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having an internal conflict, gonna get rid of my 19 elite cause it's just always gonna have an unresolvable issue. Don't know if it want to just get a 21+ passport or wait for the new crv or leave Honda and go with a Mazda CX-5 awd turbo.

I'm kind of leaning on crv or cx5 just for the better mileage and being slightly more compacy but I like the roominess of the passport and the solid v6.

Just looking for serious 3rd party input/thoughts
I almost bought the cx5 but after test driving both I found the cx5 underpowered hence the turbo and found it a little tight in the room department. The honda had better pickup and very roomy.,Mazda makes a great car. I just wish they would get a 6cyl option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seriously?? My PP hasn't idle-stopped in over 2 years, without any mods or buttons-pushed. The "remedy" is simple: just slightly lift your foot off the brake pedal for a fraction of a second when coming to a stop, sort of a light pump action. Voila, NO IDLE STOP. This is a NON-ISSUE people!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seriously?? My PP hasn't idle-stopped in over 2 years, without any mods or buttons-pushed. The "remedy" is simple: just slightly lift your foot off the brake pedal for a fraction of a second when coming to a stop, sort of a light pump action. Voila, NO IDLE STOP. This is a NON-ISSUE people!
IMHO, it's an issue if you have to do some fancy, non manufacturer recommended footwork to disable it hundreds of times a day or if the NHTSA gets enough complaints to start an investigation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have nearly 110k on 19 PP elite. The miles make it depreciate so much, just gonna give to daughter and get new ride. All I want is good leather and maintenance free. PP has been steady but a few big tickets fixes plus tires suck. Mazda is decent and crv good choice too

1 - 20 of 25 Posts