Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Received 4 TPMS sensors today and I was excited to test fit them on my 18" Wheels. It appears really straightforward and easy, but wanted to run some questions out here on the forums to really make sure I won't screw this up. Its a learning opportunity on my part.

Question the first:
* I received my TPMS sensors from RockAuto as part of the other thread where someone posted that these were on-sale. Happy with how they look and feel so far.
Motor vehicle Fluid Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Inside the bag, is the TPMS sensor, a small rubber washer and what looks to be an extra core.

What is the rubber gasket/washer used for?

At first I thought it must be used where the nut tightens down (outside of the wheel) against the hole. But when I test fit that, the rubber washer will not go all the way to the base.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Question the second:

Is this supposed to be this loose?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Tints and shades Auto part

This looks like it seats down nicely on the wheel... however..;
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

It can lift up rather freely even after tightening down the nut for a sturdy installation. It feels like it can rotate up and down with a little too much play.

Lasty, Please excuse the lengthy post here, but these little details appear to matter in a proper installation. Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The TPMS sensor should not be lifting off the wheel drum, it should be sitting flush against the wheel barrel, see installation instructions I attached below. If you can't get it flush against the wheel barrel then it might be the wrong one for your wheel.

Font Parallel Diagram Document Screenshot

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
515 Posts
The tpms I installed also didn't sit flush to the wheel and I can't remember what the inch pound torque specs for the sensor were. It took forever for my vehicle to learn the new sensors, I was at a point to dismount the tire and replace, because at the time I was only taking short trips.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L
46 Posts
My tire installer tried to install the ones I got from Rock Auto, but they are not sealing properly. They think it’s due to the rubber ring which is much harder than the OE Honda one. These also don’t have the metal gasket that the Honda ones do. They are going to try out the Honda ones to see if it could be a wheel issue, but at first review, it appears to be the sensors.

Odd because others on here had them installed without issue, but this could be the same challenges the OP was referencing.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L
46 Posts
Update:

The Honda ones worked perfectly. Installer thinks it’s the lack of a proper gasket, but can’t be sure. I will contact Rock Auto to see what they will do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update:

The Honda ones worked perfectly. Installer thinks it’s the lack of a proper gasket, but can’t be sure. I will contact Rock Auto to see what they will do.
It's so odd that my installer had no issues. I wonder if they just ended up using one of their own tpms rebuild kits to get a different gasket? Gaskets are only usable once so it could be that they thought "might as well" since they didn't need to get the old sensors off my original rims/tires :unsure:

I'm sorry they didn't work out for you :cry:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hazzah! I found a video about the different valve stems available and this one is the TG1C REDI-sensor valve stem. Apparently, the gasket and washer in the version from Rock Auto is a one piece design so it's hard on the outside because it's the crush washer with the gasketing material in the center.

This sensor isn't the exact same as the one that instructions were posted for so slightly different installation procedure. I think the other rubber grommet is a red herring installation-wise. Not shown in the installation videos at all...

TPMS Video: skip to 2:35 for TG1C sensor

Full Installation Video

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L
46 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Well, it was worth a shot My installer ended us give me the Honda TPMS at his cost, so in the end, I paid the same total as I would have for the sensors originally.

Still going to go back to Rock Auto and see what they’ll do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also ordered the Rock Auto TPMS sensors. I had them installed last week on aftermarket 18" wheels (Touren) as my winter set. The installers had no issues and I installed the wheels on the PP yesterday. As others have said the tire pressure reading on the dash went -- after a kilometer and after another kilometer the new readings started popping up one at a time. After about 1 minute of driving everything was working perfectly. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update to my own situation. Ended up purchasing some TPMS maintenance kits for a small price on Amazon. This maintenance kit included a crush washer which I then used on my installation. My solution worked and after a tightening up a bit more, there is no loose play with the TPMS. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this as well!

·
Registered
2020 Touring
38 Posts
Quick update to my own situation. Ended up purchasing some TPMS maintenance kits for a small price on Amazon. This maintenance kit included a crush washer which I then used on my installation. My solution worked and after a tightening up a bit more, there is no loose play with the TPMS. Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this as well!
Interesting solution..
Perhaps a link to the kit that you purchased andworked for you, as a quick search on Amazon did not list any that were compatible with Passport. Perhaps I was searching for wrong item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting solution..
Perhaps a link to the kit that you purchased andworked for you, as a quick search on Amazon did not list any that were compatible with Passport. Perhaps I was searching for wrong item.
Great suggestion, This is the link to the maintenance kit I purchased.

Amazon does sell crush washers by themselves, but I was unsure about the sizing. I decided on the maintenance kit as it included other items which were useful to hang on to for future maintenance and the pricing was similar to just a crush washer.

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts