Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, I have put a deposit down on a 2020 R-Pod 189 that has a dry weight of 3075. I have a 2019 PP with OEM hitch and cooler. I was wondering if you are still satisfied with how your PP handles the 179. Do you use a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway bars? How is the towing at freeway speeds? How is the braking on the downhill?
Thanks!
Read all you can regarding how to tow. You must consider total weight towed, electronic brake assist devices, weight placement, causes of tow problems like sway. Also your trailer dealer would be a good source of tow information.. All is well on a tow till something happens. You must know what it is and act on it. Even on a small unit. I tow 35 ft. fifth wheel and a 20 ft utility trailer. Each has a natural handle. Each behaves differently in the unexpected. Wind can destroy a vehicle and a tow in certain conditions as can a blow out. Speaking of blow out. On you new trailer immediately trade them in for premium tires. Be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have a new 2020 Elite. Tows my rpod 179 just fine. Sure you go a bit slower up grades but that's what truck lane is for. I use fastway E2 Wdh/anti sway. Bluetooth Curt wireless brake controller. The Elite is so quiet on highway. The 9 speed paddle shifters work great. I traded in my 17 Kia Sorento SXL. While it was more luxuriously trimmed inside, the Honda feels more rugged and suspension stiffer for towing. Barely any sag w Passport. Although miss the Sorento articulating headlamps and better seats. Honda seats feel just like average minivan seats. Rarely use brakes downhill. Downshift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't. Not really needed with traditional rpods (not the wider big butt models). Been towimg it for 5 years (not just w PP) and have never thought I needed better view. The 3 different backup views on nav system is fantastic. I hooked up trailer solo with screen 3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just purchased a 2021 Honda passport elite. Now we are planning to buy an RV. We are looking at an intech Sol horizon. Dry weight is 3200 to 3300 lbs max weight is 4000 lbs. tongue weight is rated between 465 to 495. Will this work towing with the passport?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 AWD Passport with Dealer installed tow package and transmission cooler. I just picked up my new Intech Sol Dawn Rover yesterday. The 4 hour drive home went well but as a newbie to towing I was certainly aware that I was pulling about 3K. I don't have a baseline towing experience but it was enough to make me think that my plans for long cross country excursions through the Rockies and beyond might cause a lot of wear on the engine and transmission. I got 12 -13 MPG on I91 coming home. The Dawn is about 2800 pounds dry and 3500 max loaded. I don't think I would want to ask the PP to tow much more than 3500 (just my opinion and 1st impression). I will be looking carefully at my belongings to keep the weight as low as possible in the trailer and PP.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have just purchased a 2021 Honda passport elite. Now we are planning to buy an RV. We are looking at an intech Sol horizon. Dry weight is 3200 to 3300 lbs max weight is 4000 lbs. tongue weight is rated between 465 to 495. Will this work towing with the passport?
If you keep it empty, you'll be under the 3500 (no-tranny cooler) limit, but that's not what camping is all about...next stop the Petrified Forest Gift shop, for a couple of 2' tall natural end tables.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 2020 AWD Passport with Dealer installed tow package and transmission cooler. I just picked up my new Intech Sol Dawn Rover yesterday. The 4 hour drive home went well but as a newbie to towing I was certainly aware that I was pulling about 3K. I don't have a baseline towing experience but it was enough to make me think that my plans for long cross country excursions through the Rockies and beyond might cause a lot of wear on the engine and transmission. I got 12 -13 MPG on I91 coming home. The Dawn is about 2800 pounds dry and 3500 max loaded. I don't think I would want to ask the PP to tow much more than 3500 (just my opinion and 1st impression). I will be looking carefully at my belongings to keep the weight as low as possible in the trailer and PP.
If you're towing in the flatlands you'll probably do okay. In the Rockies, not so well. I towed for fifteen years here in the Colorado Rockies. The long grades traversing 10,000'-11,000' mountain passes puts a real strain on the tow vehicle.
The honest RV and boat dealers here in Colorado I dealt with would tell me to keep the tow weight down to half of the vehicles towing capacity. You want to enjoy your towing experience with a margin of safety and not have a white knuckle experience in the big mountains.

·
Registered
659 Posts
1/2 that's a good plan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're towing in the flatlands you'll probably do okay. In the Rockies, not so well. I towed for fifteen years here in the Colorado Rockies. The long grades traversing 10,000'-11,000' mountain passes puts a real strain on the tow vehicle.
The honest RV and boat dealers here in Colorado I dealt with would tell me to keep the tow weight down to half of the vehicles towing capacity. You want to enjoy your towing experience with a margin of safety and not have a white knuckle experience in the big mountains.
Sorry for the likey dumb question but would Cottonwood Pass and the Million Dollar Highway be included on your list? White Knuckle more on the downhill than the uphill grades? I never felt like I was being pushed with the Curt brake controller albeit the grades in Vermont are nothing compared to Colorado. Would sport mode help?
Thanks for your insights.
h

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry for the likey dumb question but would Cottonwood Pass and the Million Dollar Highway be included on your list? White Knuckle more on the downhill than the uphill grades? I never felt like I was being pushed with the Curt brake controller albeit the grades in Vermont are nothing compared to Colorado. Would sport mode help?
Thanks for your insights.
h
Climbing to Cottonwood Pass although high (12,126') is not to awfully bad due to the many switchbacks and hairpin turns. Your in a low gear, not revving to high and going quite slow. Million Dollar highway in my opinion is more of a gradual climb , keep your eyes on the road thing or you're going over. It's the climb on I-70 west to the Eisenhower tunnel (11,158') heading to Denver that is the real tough tow. Long straight grades for 11 miles with no switchbacks.
Other difficult passes our Rabbit Ears pass going to Steamboat Springs, Freemont pass between Copper mountain and Leadville. Both with long grades. Monarch pass (11,312') between Buena Vista and Gunnison, CO is my least favorite to ascend and descend. It's a beautiful drive but, not so much when towing. I have a bit of white knuckles on all the descends.🥶

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
668 Posts
Monarch pass (11,312') between Buena Vista and Gunnison, CO is my least favorite to ascend and descend. It's a beautiful drive but, not so much when towing. I have a bit of white knuckles on all the descends.🥶
On the other end of the spectrum, Monarch Pass is a spectacular drive in a sports car. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
668 Posts
I bet it is! What do you drive? Vette? Porsche? BMW M car?
The first photo is at the top of Monarch Pass and Continental Divide via Monarch Crest Scenic Tramway. The second photo is our grand tourer at the bottom of Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Lots of beautiful roads and scenery in Colorado, unless you happen upon miles of road resurfacing like The Million Dollar Highway at the time that we passed through. :(
Sky Mountain Natural landscape Highland Slope
Tire Wheel Plant Car Vehicle

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great photos! You gotta love Colorado. Beautiful car. What make and model? I thought Grand Tourers were two door Coupe's and saloons were 4 door high end powerful sedans like yours appears to be.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The cooler will lengthen the life of the tranny. Less heat stress on fluid and parts even if not towing. Price a tranny remove and oem reman install.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts