Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on towing a Uhaul 6x12 Cargo Trailer with 1800 lbs of furniture and boxes from the Bay Area to Seattle Area (helping a friend move) with my 2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD with the ATF Cooler sometime in mid May when weather conditions should be favorable throughout the route.

Of particular concern to me is the section which involves going through Siskiyou Summit with a 6% grade for several miles, see: Siskiyou Summit, one of the more perilous sections of Interstate 5

The manual (pg 442) shows that with the equivalent of four 150lb passengers and luggage in the Passport, it looks like we should be able to tow 4,500lbs.

The Uhaul 6x12 Cargo Trailer has an empty weight of 1,920lbs and a max load of 2,480 lbs.
Trailer: U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer

With 1800 lbs of load (this is with a 20% leeway of what we expect to be 1500lbs), this brings the total trailer weight to be 3720 lbs.
We would load 60% of the load to the front of the trailer / 40% in the rear as the Uhaul manual states and also around 10-15% on the tongue, no more than 450lbs as required by the passport manual for the passengers/cargo. We'd also be around 300lbs (using over estimated weight values) under the max gross combined weight at 4500 ft.

Do you suspect this will be safe to do? I don't mind being the slow vehicle going up or down the grade and understand mpg will take a hit to 10 mpg avg but I do want to make sure this is a realistic plan. I plan to be keeping the gears fixed to the same low gear going up and down the passes.

I was also thinking of using this hitch ball mount which has a tongue weight gauge on it: https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-WS4-2-KA-Hitch-Built/dp/B07CSHJNG8/ref=sr_1_8

Has anyone towed similar weight with a similar cargo trailer? If so any tips or experience you could share?
Also this trailer solely uses surge brakes (no brake controller), would this be a concern in a long descent? Or are we out of our minds?

·
Registered
425 Posts
TwelfthmanSeahawks, post: 57912, member: 5058"]
I'm planning on towing a Uhaul 6x12 Cargo Trailer with 1800 lbs of furniture and boxes from the Bay Area to Seattle Area (helping a friend move) with my 2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD with the ATF Cooler sometime in mid May when weather conditions should be favorable throughout the route.

Of particular concern to me is the section which involves going through Siskiyou Summit with a 6% grade for several miles, see: Siskiyou Summit, one of the more perilous sections of Interstate 5

The manual (pg 442) shows that with the equivalent of four 150lb passengers and luggage in the Passport, it looks like we should be able to tow 4,500lbs.

The Uhaul 6x12 Cargo Trailer has an empty weight of 1,920lbs and a max load of 2,480 lbs.

With 1800 lbs of load (this is with a 20% leeway of what we expect to be 1500lbs), this brings the total trailer weight to be 3720 lbs.
We would load 60% of the load to the front of the trailer / 40% in the rear as the Uhaul manual states and also around 10-15% on the tongue, no more than 450lbs as required by the passport manual for the passengers/cargo. We'd also be around 300lbs (using over estimated weight values) under the max gross combined weight at 4500 ft.
Weight wise you are pushing it a bit. I would not want to be over 3800lbs total trailer weight, which is 85% of the Max Total towing weight.

Do you suspect this will be safe to do? I don't mind being the slow vehicle going up or down the grade and understand mpg will take a hit to 10 mpg avg but I do want to make sure this is a realistic plan. I plan to be keeping the gears fixed to the same low gear going up and down the passes.
Safe is a relative term. Part of safe in this situation is experience. Have you ever towed before? Slow is definitely the way to go, either way. Definitely use the sequential mode and paddle shifters. I don't think I would go above 7th gear pulling a load, especially up grade. Don't get locked into the idea of the same gear going up and down. Choose the gear you need for the situation. Down grade select the gear that provides the proper amount of engine braking to take the stress off of your brakes.

I was also thinking of using this hitch ball mount which has a tongue weight gauge on it: https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-WS4-2-KA-Hitch-Built/dp/B07CSHJNG8/ref=sr_1_8
Been using the weight safe for years, however mine has a larger drop as my tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton that has a max trailer weight 6 times greater than the Passport. My one concern however with the weight safe in this situation is if the rental trailer comes with a weight distribution hitch. If it doesn't then you are good. In fact the weight safe will help you make sure that the load is properly balanced.

If however the rental trailer comes with a WD hitch then the two may not play well together. The Weight Safe is designed to make sure that the load is properly balanced. The WD hitch is designed to change balance point on the trailer.

Has anyone towed similar weight with a similar cargo trailer? If so any tips or experience you could share?
Also this trailer solely uses surge brakes (no brake controller), would this be a concern in a long descent? Or are we out of our minds?
I have towed similar and much larger weights over the Rockies as well as the Appalachians as well as several other mountain ranges. Never this particular range you will be crossing, but going up and going down is all the same. I would be concerned with the surge brakes. Expect on the down grade to feel some jerking and shuddering. The weight of the trailer will push the trailer forward causing the brakes to engage as the trailer pushes on the brake piston in the neck. That how it works.

I WOULD NOT put the back up pin in place to go down hill, but make sure you have a back up pin other wise you will not be able to back the trailer up. Do discuss this issue with who ever you rent the trailer from.

As for crazy, like I said it all depends on your experience and your abilities. Slow smooth starts, reasonable travel speeds and long slow stops with plenty of anticipation is a must.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite
42 Posts
The PP, Pilot, and Ridgeline are all the same from the doors forward... Same engine, transmission, drivetrain, AWD, wheelbase, etc.

This is a 2017 Ridgeline, but gives you a great idea how towing 5000 pounds will feel on the hills. Not 100% apples to apples, but darn close and has some great insight.

Go slow, and leave lots of room up front...

·
Registered
337 Posts

If so any tips or experience you could share?
We towed a 32-ft Terry Resort trailer behind a '96 Suburban K2500 (diesel) over Siskiyou Pass at least a dozen times each way, Portland area to Shasta. Elevation/grade is not really a problem, as I-5 is wide, well traveled, right lane always has truckers crawling along uphill, with same truckers hauling ass on the downgrade sections. There are many pull off areas, wide shoulders, as those are typically busy Nov-April for chaining up. Road is well maintained, though in May likely shoulders still have build-up of cinder bits from ODOT's winter graveling.

Stop at K&R Drive-In in Rice Hill for a great burger, and even g-r-e-a-t-e-r delicious ice cream treats.
Easy in/out, right on freeway.

NOTE: NO bathrooms there, and no nearby bushes, either.

[EDIT]
For a more scenic drive, turn off I-5 at Weed and head up Hwy.97. Mostly 2 lane 55mph highway, but scenic drive along Klamath Lake, through Cascade forestland all the way to Mt. Hood. If time permits, excellent detour off Hwy.97 is Crater Lake. How often do you get to see a 2000-ft deep lake inside a volcano?

No camera filters . . . the water is truely this clear and this blue!!!

The main grade on this Hwy.97/Hwy.26 'detour' off I-5 is on west side of Mt. HOOD. At Hood, same summit elevation as Siskiyou, the downhill drive is sweeping turns with much elevation change. But you'll be just another of the many SUV's with trailer caravaning this vacation-destination road.

For speed - take I-5.
For memories - take 97/26.

Enjoy your adventure!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight wise you are pushing it a bit. I would not want to be over 3800lbs total trailer weight, which is 85% of the Max Total towing weight.
We will definitely keep it under 3800 lbs, we're weighting all the things that will be going in and hope the actual load in the trailer to be very close to 1500 lbs.

Safe is a relative term. Part of safe in this situation is experience. Have you ever towed before? Slow is definitely the way to go, either way. Definitely use the sequential mode and paddle shifters. I don't think I would go above 7th gear pulling a load, especially up grade. Don't get locked into the idea of the same gear going up and down. Choose the gear you need for the situation. Down grade select the gear that provides the proper amount of engine braking to take the stress off of your brakes.
Good suggestion. I have towed before but it was in a more capable truck with trailer/haul mode, only 300 miles, and no significant grade.

I WOULD NOT put the back up pin in place to go down hill, but make sure you have a back up pin other wise you will not be able to back the trailer up. Do discuss this issue with who ever you rent the trailer from.
This is a good one, I have not thought of this before. Will make sure to check with Uhaul on their instruction regarding this.

The PP, Pilot, and Ridgeline are all the same from the doors forward... Same engine, transmission, drivetrain, AWD, wheelbase, etc.

This is a 2017 Ridgeline, but gives you a great idea how towing 5000 pounds will feel on the hills. Not 100% apples to apples, but darn close and has some great insight.

Thanks for this one, i actually watched his whole series on the drive. On episode 3 or 4 he was having some big transmission temps readings as high as 280. I'm hoping in May the weather will still be pretty cool to have the atf cooler stay effective. I just got my scan guage II, so will be keeping an eye on temps during the drive.

There are many pull off areas, wide shoulders, as those are typically busy Nov-April for chaining up. Road is well maintained, though in May likely shoulders still have build-up of cinder bits from ODOT's winter graveling.
Hopefully Falken AT3W are up to the task if I have to pull over into the shoulder.

Stop at K&R Drive-In in Rice Hill for a great burger, and even g-r-e-a-t-e-r delicious ice cream treats.
Easy in/out, right on freeway.

NOTE: NO bathrooms there, and no nearby bushes, either.

[EDIT]
For a more scenic drive, turn off I-5 at Weed and head up Hwy.97. Mostly 2 lane 55mph highway, but scenic drive along Klamath Lake, through Cascade forestland all the way to Mt. Hood. If time permits, excellent detour off Hwy.97 is Crater Lake. How often do you get to see a 2000-ft deep lake inside a volcano?

No camera filters . . . the water is truely this clear and this blue!!!

The main grade on this Hwy.97/Hwy.26 'detour' off I-5 is on west side of Mt. HOOD. At Hood, same summit elevation as Siskiyou, the downhill drive is sweeping turns with much elevation change. But you'll be just another of the many SUV's with trailer caravaning this vacation-destination road.

For speed - take I-5.
For memories - take 97/26.
Will have to check out K&R Drive In if we take 5! As far as the HWY 97 / HWY 26, it seems from your description the drive would be an equal challenge as taking I-5 straight through?
The trip going from the Bay Area back to Seattle area would primarily focused on getting there safely and less time for leisure unfortunately. However... the trip going from Seattle to SF Bay Area will be all for leisure, I may start a separate threads on that one if you have ideas :)

Thank you HarveyW, Danny, and P-A-N-D-A for the input and advices!! This gives me better confidence about the trip.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We will definitely keep it under 3800 lbs, we're weighting all the things that will be going in and hope the actual load in the trailer to be very close to 1500 lbs.

Good suggestion. I have towed before but it was in a more capable truck with trailer/haul mode, only 300 miles, and no significant grade.

This is a good one, I have not thought of this before. Will make sure to check with Uhaul on their instruction regarding this.

Thanks for this one, i actually watched his whole series on the drive. On episode 3 or 4 he was having some big transmission temps readings as high as 280. I'm hoping in May the weather will still be pretty cool to have the atf cooler stay effective. I just got my scan guage II, so will be keeping an eye on temps during the drive.

Hopefully Falken AT3W are up to the task if I have to pull over into the shoulder.

Will have to check out K&R Drive In if we take 5! As far as the HWY 97 / HWY 26, it seems from your description the drive would be an equal challenge as taking I-5 straight through?
The trip going from the Bay Area back to Seattle area would primarily focused on getting there safely and less time for leisure unfortunately. However... the trip going from Seattle to SF Bay Area will be all for leisure, I may start a separate threads on that one if you have ideas :)

Thank you HarveyW, Danny, and P-A-N-D-A for the input and advices!! This gives me better confidence about the trip.
The Passport will pull over 5000 lbs. The issue isn't so much the the weight itself, but what too much weight does to the vehicle, especially the transmission and engine. It also puts stresses on the suspension. You can use the Passport to pull 5000, 6000, 7000 pounds right up to the point the transmission shells out. That is the concern I would have in relationship to the weight.

Good luck with the trip. Give us a report on the K&R fare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just speaking for me personally, I wouldnt do it. What is the additional cost of renting a uhaul truck vs stressing out over towing with a Passport?
Maybe if the passport was a smaller lighter vehicle with the same towing capacity, but sometimes I feel like the passport is lugging itself around.
And the siskiyou summit is a pain. I wouldnt do it. Do I think you would make it, yes probably. If I had no other choice would I do it?
Probably. I would rather tow the passport behind a uhaul though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Actually the video I was referencing to is this one:
It is a 4 part series, pretty crazy.

Just speaking for me personally, I wouldnt do it. What is the additional cost of renting a uhaul truck vs stressing out over towing with a Passport?
Maybe if the passport was a smaller lighter vehicle with the same towing capacity, but sometimes I feel like the passport is lugging itself around.
And the siskiyou summit is a pain. I wouldnt do it. Do I think you would make it, yes probably. If I had no other choice would I do it?
Probably. I would rather tow the passport behind a uhaul though.
That is also an option being considered. However the cost is 2-3x the cost and I am wondering if taking a loaded uhaul with the weight of the vehicle trailer and passport would be any safer. Siskiyou pass aside, the rest of the drive would definitely be more uncomfortable in a truck cab than in the Passport. Last but not least, the crazy side of me is aching to see what the Passport can do, as I rarely tow anything :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually the video I was referencing to is this one:
It is a 4 part series, pretty crazy.

That is also an option being considered. However the cost is 2-3x the cost and I am wondering if taking a loaded uhaul with the weight of the vehicle trailer and passport would be any safer. Siskiyou pass aside, the rest of the drive would definitely be more uncomfortable in a truck cab than in the Passport. Last but not least, the crazy side of me is aching to see what the Passport can do, as I rarely tow anything :p
So heres my sincere advice... First ok fine it seems like you want to help someone out. You also have a really nice car you dont want to screw up.
I have transited these states many times.

Just avoid 5 and take 101 down. And tow your until your hearts content! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually this may require a "honda specific" inspirational story.
How did I get to the West Coast? Welp...

I had just come back from living abroad, and Im from the east. I had very little money (almost zero) I was in my twenties. And I decided that I was going to marry someone, so next thing Im signing up for the military. Specificaly for an assignment in California.

So what do I do? I go to a bad part of town, and I buy a 1988 honda civic for 500 dollars. Cash money. 4 door, tons of miles.
I, like you, need to as part of my move tow a Uhaul. So I find a dude to put a tow hitch on this 1988 honda civic.

As hes rolling under the car and welding it on he rolls back out and says verbatim: "Im not sure this is legal", but its already welded on!

This ragged out left for dead Honda Civic took me and my fiance and my stuff towed in uhaul trailer on an illegal tow hitch from Virginia to Northern California
It also ran for many years after that and I sold it for 500 bucks. It was spotted years after being driven by some teenage girls in the same town with my license plates on it.
So it "kept on giving". Years after being around 1999, 2000.

The trip was not without a hiccup though. In new mexico the poor little civic started to overheat. Stopped at jiffy lube, changed the oil. It never overheated again.
So if I can tow a uhaul with an 88 civic across the country. I think you are ok boss.:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually this may require a "honda specific" inspirational story.
How did I get to the West Coast? Welp...

I had just come back from living abroad, and Im from the east. I had very little money (almost zero) I was in my twenties. And I decided that I was going to marry someone, so next thing Im signing up for the military. Specificaly for an assignment in California.

So what do I do? I go to a bad part of town, and I buy a 1988 honda civic for 500 dollars. Cash money. 4 door, tons of miles.
I, like you, need to as part of my move tow a Uhaul. So I find a dude to put a tow hitch on this 1988 honda civic.

As hes rolling under the car and welding it on he rolls back out and says verbatim: "Im not sure this is legal", but its already welded on!

This ragged out left for dead Honda Civic took me and my fiance and my stuff towed in uhaul trailer on an illegal tow hitch from Virginia to Northern California
It also ran for many years after that and I sold it for 500 bucks. It was spotted years after being driven by some teenage girls in the same town with my license plates on it.
So it "kept on giving". Years after being around 1999, 2000.

The trip was not without a hiccup though. In new mexico the poor little civic started to overheat. Stopped at jiffy lube, changed the oil. It never overheated again.
So if I can tow a uhaul with an 88 civic across the country. I think you are ok boss.:)
That is quite the story! Amazing how well the little civic held up both mechanically and in value lol

·
Registered
147 Posts

Uphill will heat the tranny. do you have a tranny cooler? Very important. Monitor the stress on the drive train. Truckers sometimes must pull over ot have assistance on up grades. Take the decent slow. Loss of control can happen fast as brakes glaze. After your pull. have the tranny serviced. Fluid change using Honda fluid. You do not want to discover the cost of a rebuild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts